Medications for incontinence

DandyAndy

There's probably a wet spot on my pants.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I had an appointment with my doctor today and told him about the night and day issues I have been having. I told him that at night I have been wearing a full diaper to prevent leaks and pull ups during the day for just in case. I try to go to the bathroom during the day when I can, otherwise hold until the 'potty dance' starts and then let it go if cannot go to the bathroom.

He said that it sounds like 'typical' urge incontinence and prescribed oxybutnin. He did say that it was up to me for whether to try the medication or continue with 'absorbent undergarments'.

I am going to try the medication, but concerned about MH side effects as depression/anxiety/asd are issues of mine.

Has anyone else tried this medication and had any luck and no side effects?

Medications will effect everyone differently. My only side effect was dry mouth. It went away after a week or so. MH wise, nothing out of the ordinary really. It doesn't cure it for me but greatly reduces the number of accidents.

Reactions: Angelapinks and DandyAndy
I used it for about 6 months, no positive effect on my incontinence but the dry mouth caused havoc with my dental health. My dentist had me chewing sugar-free gum at night and I still lost a tooth. I also kept a glass of water on my bed-side table that got knocked over several times until I bought a sippy cup.

• Wow
Reactions: 247, Angelapinks, passion4life and 1 other person
A already stated, meds affect people differently. Also depends on what other Rx you are taking. I tried 2 different meds but the side effects were more than I could handle. So night diapers and pull-ups for day prevention for me.

• Wow
Reactions: 247, Angelapinks, DandyAndy and 1 other person
passion4life said:
A already stated, meds affect people differently. Also depends on what other Rx you are taking. I tried 2 different meds but the side effects were more than I could handle. So night diapers and pull-ups for day prevention for me.
That's pretty much where I am now. With any med, talk to your provider AND your pharmacist, there are times where the pharmacist sees more drug interactions than the provider.

Reactions: Angelapinks
I take vyvanse and seroquel for mental things. Other than that I only do supplements for digestive stuff such as natural digestive aids or activated charcoal, I'm not incontinent per se but as someone with autism myself my gut can be sensitive. For many its gluten but for me it's usually casein from too much dairy and certain spicy foods like jalapeno or too much sweets. Other times it pops up due to something I ate the night before. I've stained my undies many times gambling on what I thought was a fart. Those were times I wish I was diapered. If you are concerned about side effects that's when you ask your doctor. Also urge incontinence can be a sign of BPH which saw palmetto and beta sitosterol are used to help treat. I use them for my hair loss though. Again talk to your doctor get some tests done. Weigh your options. But if it's not due to another underlying condition I'd say the best option is sticking to diapers. They are there for a reason you know.

I also tried two different ones, for about a year. After a few weeks, they significantly reduced my urge problems - but also with severe side effects. Finally, I took tolterodine for about 7 months. I think the point is not to expect miracle things. In the beginning, I had an urge episode maybe every 20 to 40 minutes. After a year, I had maybe 5 to 6 a day, but I had also been doing bladder training and Kegel exercises. I stopped those after a year because they didn't bring any more success. Fortunately, the effect remained even without them.

mickdl said:
I also tried two different ones, for about a year. After a few weeks, they significantly reduced my urge problems - but also with severe side effects. Finally, I took tolterodine for about 7 months. I think the point is not to expect miracle things. In the beginning, I had an urge episode maybe every 20 to 40 minutes. After a year, I had maybe 5 to 6 a day, but I had also been doing bladder training and Kegel exercises. I stopped those after a year because they didn't bring any more success. Fortunately, the effect remained even without them.
That's the thing too. There is often a baseline for each person for full functionality of the bladder. Usually once those muscles are developed and strengthened they will stay that way. But that also means for many that are IC from what I can see there is a point where it won't get any better but also where it won't get any worse. When that happens It usually indicates your bladders optimal performance. Bladders are like cars, no one is exactly the same but there are certainly bad quality ones and good quality ones, lol. I know some people that can hold it for an hour or two, I have only been able to hold mine for at most 15 to 30 minutes with most times only lasting 10 to 20 minutes depending on urgency. So my bladder is comparatively weak compared to some but I just chock it up to neurodivergence due to it also affecting my gut.

Last edited:
SuzakuAkatori said:
Bladders are like cars, no one is exactly the same but there are certainly bad quality ones and good quality ones, lol.

:) well - I don't want to think about which car brand represents mine... You're right about the muscles - but that's only one side of the coin - there are also a lot of other things that can cause problems - just like with the car :)....

I think I was really unlucky. After it took three years to find out that my GAP layer was defective and after 3/4 of a year the whole thing could be solved with Gepan instillations, the pain was gone - but the inco was still there. In that time the prostate had grown so much that it is now most likely to blame for the problem.

I try to see it positively - at least I can still pee. At some point I will have to undergo surgery and I just hope that I am not one of the 20% who are then completely leaky ...

JoeRelax said:
I was given some meds for incontinence many years ago but stopped using them because of nasty side effects. I clearly remember one of them was a red pill. nastiest medication you could imagine.
They were trying to unplug you from the matrix.:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: dogboy and (deleted member)
DandyAndy said:
He prescribed oxybutnin.
I also take Ditropan (oxybutynin). I recommend it. I now pee infrequently but void a significant amount when I do pee. So I am satisfied with it, although I still diaper up 24/7. I also have mental health issues but different conditions than you have. I take Latuda (lurasidone HCl) for a schizoaffective disorder and I don't know what other medications. I generally do not have side effects or interactions with medications, so I count myself fortunate. Not being able to take a specific medication is unpredictable. I suggest trying oxybutynin. You can discontinue it if desired. I know others have advised differently. You must decide which advice is most suitable for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: DandyAndy
SeniorMan said:
I also take Ditropan (oxybutynin). I recommend it. I now pee infrequently but void a significant amount when I do pee. So I am satisfied with it, although I still diaper up 24/7. I also have mental health issues but different conditions than you have. I take Latuda (lurasidone HCl) for a schizoaffective disorder and I don't know what other medications. I generally do not have side effects or interactions with medications, so I count myself fortunate. Not being able to take a specific medication is unpredictable. I suggest trying oxybutynin. You can discontinue it if desired. I know others have advised differently. You must decide which advice is most suitable for you.
I have been taking it and it has been helpful for the same reasons you indicate. I did ask my doctor about links to dementia and irritability and he thought that would be very unlikely type of side effects.

DandyAndy said:
I had an appointment with my doctor today and told him about the night and day issues I have been having. I told him that at night I have been wearing a full diaper to prevent leaks and pull ups during the day for just in case. I try to go to the bathroom during the day when I can, otherwise hold until the 'potty dance' starts and then let it go if cannot go to the bathroom.

He said that it sounds like 'typical' urge incontinence and prescribed oxybutnin. He did say that it was up to me for whether to try the medication or continue with 'absorbent undergarments'.

I am going to try the medication, but concerned about MH side effects as depression/anxiety/asd are issues of mine.

Has anyone else tried this medication and had any luck and no side effects?
I had a lot of side effects, but i have dysautonomia as well.

My biggest problem was to get bowel IC from it.

DandyAndy said:
I began taking Ditropan (oxybutynin) last Spring. Then, last fall, I began taking Lexapro (escitalopram) for depression. I have been on and off antidepressants before. I do not know the link between Ditropan and depression, but I recommend the combination of Ditropan and Lexapro. If you have noticed some depression, I recommend trying even a small dose of some antidepressant. There are many kinds from which to choose. One of them would likely help you.

Reactions: DandyAndy
Pino said:
I have dysautonomia as well.
The following is for your information.

What is dysautonomia?​

Dysautonomia is a disorder of autonomic nervous system (ANS) function. The ANS is charge of involuntary functions—things that happen without thinking—like breathing. Dysautonomia usually involves failure of the sympathetic and parasympathetic parts of the ANS. The disorder can include many different health conditions caused by problems with the ANS. Dysautonomia can involve failure of parts of the ANS as well as too much activity. It can show up in the body in different ways.
Dysautonomia can be:
  • Local, as in reflex sympathetic dystrophy, which causes lasting pain typically in an arm or leg
  • Generalized (spread throughout the body), as in pure autonomic failure.
    • Sympathetic failure can cause impotence in men and a fall in blood pressure during standing (orthostatic hypotension). Too much sympathetic activity can show up as hypertension or high blood pressure, or a rapid pulse rate
  • Severe and sudden and also reversible, as in Guillain-Barré syndrome
  • Chronic or ongoing, worsening over time
Several common conditions such as diabetes and alcoholism can include dysautonomia. Dysautonomia also can occur as a primary or main condition, or it can happen along with:
  • Degenerative neurological diseases, such as Parkinson's disease
  • Multiple system atrophy
  • Familial dysautonomia
The outlook for people with dysautonomia depends on the case. The disorder may improve with treatment of any underlying disease. In many cases treatment of primary dysautonomia works to address symptoms. Ways to combat orthostatic hypotension include raising the head of the bed, water bolus (rapid infusion of water given by IV needle), a high-salt diet, and drugs such as fludrocortisone and midodrine.
People with chronic dysautonomia that is generalized with central nervous system degeneration have a generally poor long-term prognosis.

Learn About Clinical Trials
Clinical trials are studies that allow us to learn more about disorders and improve care. They can help connect patients with new and upcoming treatment options.

How can I or my loved one help improve care for people with dysautonomia?​

Consider participating in a clinical trial so clinicians and scientists can learn more about dysautonomia and related disorders. Clinical research uses human volunteers to help researchers learn more about a disorder and perhaps find better ways to safely detect, treat, or prevent disease.
All types of volunteers are needed—those who are healthy or may have an illness or disease—of all different ages, sexes, races, and ethnicities to ensure that study results apply to as many people as possible, and that treatments will be safe and effective for everyone who will use them.
For information about participating in clinical research visit NIH Clinical Research Trials and You. Learn about clinical trials currently looking for people with dysautonomia at Clinicaltrials.gov.

Where can I find more information about dysautonomia?​

Information may be available from the following resources:
Dysautonomia International
Dysautonomia Youth Network of America, Inc.
Phone: 301-705-6995
Familial Dysautonomia Foundation
Phone: 212-279-1066
Familial Dysautonomia Hope Foundation, Inc. (FD Hope)
Phone: 919-969-1414
MedlinePlus
National Dysautonomia Research Foundation
Phone: 651-327-0367
National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD)
Phone: 203-744-0100 or 800-999-6673; 844-259-7178 Spanish
The Multiple System Atrophy Coalition
Phone: 866-737-5999

tiltedg said:
That's pretty much where I am now. With any med, talk to your provider AND your pharmacist, there are times where the pharmacist sees more drug interactions than the provider.
Very true, my pharmacist is way ahead of my doctor for insight into my conditions and what effects them. They can also tell you when to take the meds effectively where a doctor just generalizes. My pharmacist caught my Shingles after I had been to the doctor for an ear-ache. He told me to go back to the doctor and have him look again. He was dead right and the doctor reluctantly told me to go and tell him "Good Call" on his part. It didn't help lesson the Shingles suffering much but the doc said at least we caught it early so the symptoms were not as bad. I am pretty fortunate to have a good team of doctors for my conditions as well as a great pharmacist / friend.

Last edited:
Angelapinks said:
It didn't help lessen the Shingles suffering much but the doc said at least we caught it early so the symptoms were not as bad.
The following is for your information.

Shingles

Shingles, also called herpes zoster, is a disease that triggers a painful skin rash. It is caused by the same virus as chickenpox, the varicella-zoster virus. After you recover from chickenpox (usually as a child), the virus continues to live in some of your nerve cells.
For most adults, the virus is inactive and it never leads to shingles. But, for about one in three adults, the virus will become active again and cause shingles.

What are the symptoms of shingles?

Usually, shingles develops on just one side of the body or face, and in a small area. The most common place for shingles to occur is in a band around one side of the waistline.
Most people with shingles have one or more of the following symptoms:

• Fluid-filled blisters
  • Burning, shooting pain
  • Tingling, itching, or numbness of the skin
  • Chills, fever, headache, or upset stomach
For some people, the symptoms of shingles are mild. They might just have some itching. For others, shingles can cause intense pain that can be felt from the gentlest touch or breeze. It’s important to talk with your doctor if you notice any shingles symptoms.
If you notice blisters on your face, see your doctor right away because this is an urgent problem. Blisters near or in the eye can cause lasting eye damage and blindness. Hearing loss, a brief paralysis of the face, or, very rarely, inflammation of the brain (encephalitis) can also occur.

How is shingles diagnosed and treated?

If you think you might have shingles, talk to your doctor as soon as possible. It’s important to see your doctor no later than three days after the rash starts. The doctor will confirm whether you have shingles and can make a treatment plan. Most cases can be diagnosed from a visual examination. If you have a condition that weakens the immune system, your doctor may order a shingles test. Although there is no cure for shingles, early treatment with antiviral medications can help the blisters clear up faster and limit severe pain. Shingles can often be treated at home.

How long does shingles last?

Most cases of shingles last three to five weeks.
  • The first sign is often burning or tingling pain; sometimes it includes numbness or itching on one side of the body.
  • Somewhere between one and five days after the tingling or burning feeling on the skin, a red rash will appear.
  • A few days later, the rash will turn into fluid-filled blisters.
  • About one week to 10 days after that, the blisters dry up and crust over.
  • A couple of weeks later, the scabs clear up.

Long-term pain

After the shingles rash goes away, some people may be left with ongoing pain called postherpetic neuralgia, or PHN. The pain is felt in the area where the rash occurred. The older you are when you get shingles, the greater your chances of developing PHN.
The PHN pain can cause depression, anxiety, sleeplessness, and weight loss. Some people with PHN find it hard to go about their daily activities, such as dressing, cooking, and eating. Talk with your doctor if you are experiencing PHN or have any of these symptoms. Usually, PHN will lessen over time.

Is shingles contagious?

If you are in contact with someone who has shingles, you will not get the symptoms of shingles yourself. However, direct contact with fluid from a shingles rash can still spread the varicella-zoster virus, which can cause chickenpox in people who have not had chickenpox before or the chickenpox vaccine. The risk of spreading the virus is low if the shingles rash is kept covered.

Am I at risk for shingles?

Everyone who has had chickenpox is at risk for developing shingles. Researchers do not fully understand what makes the virus become active and cause shingles. But some things make it more likely:
  • Older age. The risk of developing shingles increases as you age. About half of all shingles cases are in adults age 60 or older. The chance of getting shingles becomes much greater by age 70.
  • Trouble fighting infections. Your immune system is the part of your body that responds to infections. Age can affect your immune system. So can HIV, cancer, cancer treatments, too much sun, and organ transplant drugs. Even stress or a cold can weaken your immune system for a short time. These all can put you at risk for shingles.
Most people only have shingles one time. However, it is possible to have it more than once.

When should I get the shingles vaccine?

The current shingles vaccine (brand name Shingrix) is a safe, easy, and more effective way to prevent shingles than the previous vaccine. In fact, it is over 90% effective at preventing shingles. Most adults age 50 and older should get vaccinated with the shingles vaccine, which is given in two doses. You can get the shingles vaccine at your doctor’s office and at some pharmacies.
You should get the shingles vaccine if you:

• Have already had chickenpox, the chickenpox vaccine, or shingles
  • Received the prior shingles vaccine called Zostavax
  • Don’t remember having had chickenpox
Medicare Part D and private health insurance plans may cover some or all of the cost. Check with Medicare or your health plan to find out if it is covered.
You should not get vaccinated if you:

• Currently have shingles
  • Are sick or have a fever
  • Had an allergic reaction to a previous dose of the shingles vaccine
If you are unsure about the above criteria or have other health concerns, talk with your doctor before getting the vaccine.

Vaccines for older adults

Vaccines can help protect you against several serious diseases, including COVID-19, flu, pneumonia, tetanus, shingles, and whooping cough. Learn more about vaccines recommended for older adults.

Tips for coping with shingles

If you have shingles, here are some tips that might help you feel better:
  • Wear loose-fitting, natural-fiber clothing.
  • Take an oatmeal bath or use calamine lotion to soothe your skin.
  • Apply a cool washcloth to your blisters to ease the pain and help dry the blisters.
  • Keep the area clean and try not to scratch the blisters so they don’t become infected or leave a scar.
  • Do things that take your mind off your pain. For example, watch TV, read, talk with friends, listen to relaxing music, or work on a hobby such as crafts or gardening.
  • Get plenty of rest and eat well-balanced meals.
  • Try simple exercises like stretching or walking. Check with your doctor before starting a new exercise routine.
  • Avoid stress. It can make the pain worse.
  • Share your feelings about your pain with family and friends. Ask for their understanding.
Also, you can limit spreading the virus to other people by:
  • Staying away from anyone who has not had chickenpox or the chickenpox vaccine, or who might have a weakened immune system
  • Keeping the rash covered
  • Not touching or scratching the rash
  • Washing your hands often
Read about this topic in Spanish. Lea sobre este tema en español.

For more information about shingles

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
800-232-4636
888-232-6348 (TTY)
[email protected]
www.cdc.gov

MedlinePlus
National Library of Medicine
www.medlineplus.gov

National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)
800-352-9424
[email protected]
www.ninds.nih.gov

National Shingles Foundation
212-222-3390
[email protected]
www.vzvfoundation.org

This content is provided by the NIH National Institute on Aging (NIA). NIA scientists and other experts review this content to ensure it is accurate and up to date.

Content reviewed: October 12, 2021

See nia.nih.gov/health/shingles

Reactions: Angelapinks
Back