Linux and Hardware Problems.

Annette

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I'm having this odd issue with Linux, yes I'm saying Linux because It's not tied to a specific Distro.

I have a Intel dual band wireless AC 3168 card that completely doesn't work what so ever under linux seems to barely work under older variants of the linux kernel, and I get constant lockups, and sound issues. can't put my finger on how to fix this so i went back to windows for the time being.

Annette said:
I'm having this odd issue with Linux, yes I'm saying Linux because It's not tied to a specific Distro.

I have a Intel dual band wireless AC 3168 card that completely doesn't work what so ever under linux seems to barely work under older variants of the linux kernel, and I get constant lockups, and sound issues. can't put my finger on how to fix this so i went back to windows for the time being.
H, Annette,
I would recommend taking out the card and using a usb wireless adapter they work great with linux.
I recommend this one

Thanks Gabe.

While Linux builds today still aren't compatible with everything, they're a whole lot more compatible than they used to be. The first thing I'd do is search the Internet for your particular PC make/model and see if anybody else is complaining. If they've found and resolved motherboard issues, that's a place to start. You may end up downloading your own drivers/adding Kernel modules, checking kernel logs, running lsmod, lspci, etc. from a console, etc. Divide and conquer. If you're getting outright lockups, there must clues hiding somewhere.

I haven't done Linux troubleshooting in a few years but check the logs like dmesg for obvious signs of trouble. And while we're happy to help, you'll likely get much better support from a board devoted to your favorite build. If you really want our input, what make/model PC are we dealing with?

Annette said:
It's integrated into the motherboard, I can't physically remove it :p
hey annette,
do you have a desktop/laptop?
I am sorry I did not realize it's intergrated but you can disable the card if is in the PCI express slot on the motherboard by going into the bios every bios is different so you will need to find out what key will get you into the bios usually delete once you are in look for a setting that says something like pci-e or wifi if there is a disable option go aheaf and disable it, you should also google your motherborad and find the instructians on the bios layout. Thanks Gabe.

Reactions: DippyDawg
Annette said:

There is a bug in Linux v5.5 affecting that card:

If you upgrade to the latest kernel, the issue should now be fixed.

Last edited:
Back