Latex or Silicone paci

Silicone for me as I'm allergic to latex to the point that the reaction from it can kill me.

• Wow
Reactions: longallsboy and BobbiSueEllen
Rubber I love rubber they are much better believe me

Reactions: longallsboy
My first dummies (as an adult) were silicon, the other day while shopping I saw a pair of latex 18-36 mo dummies, so I got them to try out latex. While the latex aftertaste wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, I prefer the firmer silicon teats. I might go back to latex every once in a while for something different I’ll stick with silicone.

I’m actually looking for an adult sized dummy with a more rounder silicone teat, I bought some from Rearz, but I have a hard time keeping the flat teat in my mouth overnight.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Latex rubber baglet (caout chouc pur is what that is called), definitely.

I used to use the MAM pacifiers all the time in college (particularly the bigger MAXI Ulti MAM), but they got rid of the MAXI Ulti MAM in the USA in 2006 or so. 😠😥🔥 Then I used some Nuk pacifiers for a long time too. The MAXI one was for children 18-36 months old plus, so it had a larger baglet. You can still find this pacifier in Europe (like Finland and Austria), but it's impossible to find it here in the USA.

Another thing was the latex nipples became almost unavailable in America, as far as MAM goes. They used to be distributed by Sassy Baby Products, but in 2008 or so, MAM decided to be an independent distributor themselves with an office in the USA.

Back in the 1990s in my teens / young adult years, when I commonly saw young children with pacifiers, including at airports while flying, most pacifiers, if not almost all, were latex.

I remember the Cherubs brand pacifiers made by Playtex Products too in the early to mid 1990s when I was in high school.

- longallsboy

- longallsboy

Reactions: BinkieBunni
It is really just a personal choice which one you like. I prefer the silicone NUK™ 5.

On the down side, silicone pacifiers do not feel as soft as latex pacifiers to me, however I think they are sturdier than latex pacifiers. I have always felt that silicone tends to retain its shape better, and does not age the way natural latex does, and it also withstands high temperatures. So a silicone pacifier lasts longer during cleaning and I can sterilize them with boiling water.

Last edited:
longallsboy said:
I used to use the MAM pacifiers all the time in college (particularly the bigger MAXI Ulti MAM), but they got rid of the MAXI Ulti MAM in the USA in 2006 or so. 😠😥🔥 Then I used some Nuk pacifiers for a long time too. The MAXI one was for children 18-36 months old plus, so it had a larger baglet. You can still find this pacifier in Europe (like Finland and Austria), but it's impossible to find it here in the USA.

- longallsboy
Hi - here is a picture of the Maxi Ulti MAM, I think they later changed the age range from 16-18 months:

Also the 16+ soothers are still available in the US according to the MAM website:

Attachments

• Maxi Ulti MAM.jpg
    Maxi Ulti MAM.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Love
Reactions: Kittyinpink, BobbiSueEllen and longallsboy
I do remember latex pacifiers from back in the day and nothing comes even close to me. Silicone is way too hard and if you take good care of them, even latex pacis will last a long time. I have some that are almost 20 years old by now and can still be used. They do age, yes, but they also get better every time they get used. ;-)

I have pacifiers made from both materials, find the silicone ones more attractive.

Latex for sure, Silicone just doesn't feel real.

I -LOVE- latex. If I could, I would buy a latex version of any pacifier I buy. But, because of the lack of popularity I have quite a few silicone ones. Like someone else mentioned there is usually a seam that hurts my tongue on silicone and it can be too rigid. I love how soft and yielding latex is.

I love silicone, personally, and the part about the seam...yeah, it can be easy to see how and why many folks are put off. I have pacifiers which use both Baby Pants nipples and generic clone nipples, both have varying degrees of seam. The mold probably has gap on the inner seam line, not a good thing if that's the case. For me, it's been easy to cope: relax the tongue, develop a different suck process, relax overall. It's helped me a lot. Best of luck, one an' all! 🥳🥰

Latex cherry nipple for meIMG_20220322_104305.jpg

• Love
Reactions: CrazySmoker, Sunnywittledays and BobbiSueEllen
Latex will always be a personal favorite I love the way it looks and feels and like the little hunt to find latex items but I dont have any dislike for silicone either c:

durgan87 said:
Silicone for me as I'm allergic to latex to the point that the reaction from it can kill me.
i dont know if you'll end up answering this, but, as someone who's also got a latex allergy : where do you get your silicone ones??

shootingstarZzz said:
i dont know if you'll end up answering this, but, as someone who's also got a latex allergy: where do you get your silicone ones??
They're out there; in fact, they're the majority. Ten@Night, generic Nuk6, Rearz, other outlets and even @dion413 's adult Mams are silicone...unless you order latex nipples specifically.

I don't have a latex allergy but can't stand the feel of latex...plus, it rots. I've seen enough latex baby binkies waste away into goo. Yuck!

Back