Judging hydration level before bed?

slimjiminy

Diabetes, type-2
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Things have gone well for my overnight protection using the TENA Super (cloth-backed) and plastic pants for a year now. But this morning, I must have peed an ocean. I leaked out of the back of one leg and leaked out the front wetting the PJ bottoms, the T-shirt and of course, wet the bed. Thankfully the IC mat protected the mattress.

So my question is, can you tell your hydration level before you climb into bed? That is, can you decide when it will be a MegaMax night?

I had a lot of salt (popcorn) last Thursday (about 3 days ago). I drank a small diet coke that night (Thursday Night Football) before retiring. I also had a tea that same day in the afternoon. I also felt a bit of a salt hangover in the morning before the tea in the afternoon. I have felt this before on days after a salty binge.

I know that the tea and the diet coke are the prime suspects. But has anyone peed an ocean after coming down from a salt binge?

I can normally use the TENA Super without restraint. But this morning the entire diaper was dripping wet. I'll probably wear a MegaMax tonight, but expect that it won't be necessary at this point. I have to pay for my diapers so I find that the TENA Super to be most cost effective, and usually sufficient.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Abdlchriscrinkle
@slimjiminy, like you mentioned there are a lot of factors that go into determining your hydration level and predicting nighttime needs. Warmer weather is one you did not mention but has a big influence with me. Another area is how much water retention you experience, salt can exasperate the situation.

I wouldn't worry about once in a while your nighttime regimen fails. Like you stated, cost effective over the long run is what you should target.

Reactions: Diprs2
I love the Tena Supers for their cost vs performance, but... Personally, I go a smidge higher on the capacity scale than those for my night diaper . To answer the question though, I'm usually pretty sure I'll be wet or not based on how I feel before bed and usually right, hydration wise.

However, the surprises come from stressors in my case. Like, just being stressed out, physical stress like my stomach issues acting up or just generally not feeling well. Those drastically increase the chance and amount I'll be wet. Sometimes it's just a one-off day where I unexpectedly soak myself during a short snooze, or I've had it be over a week straight of constant high volume wetting, even going to bed feeling more "dry inside".

How about throwing in a booster or two in the Tena’s, and a pair of waterproof pants.
In fact i do recommend, that you get yourself some cloth pull ups, to put on top of your nighttime disposable diaper. Helps a lot against leaks, and since they are reusable, in the longer run a very cheap and bulletproof solution.

Usually I drink some tea before going to bed and I do wake up wet. I try not to drink too much before bed as to reduce leaking.

That's the reason why I switched after the first package from Tena super to Tena maxi. With the super I had two slightly wet bed events in a month, with the Maxi none at all in the Last months. while I get the Super here in Germany for around 58 Euro-Cent / piece, the Maxi is around 8 Cent more expensive, but for me it's worth!

That's the reason why I switched after the first package from Tena super to Tena maxi.
We don't seem to have them here in Canada. The highest in the product range is the Super. We can get the Flex Maxi, but that is unsuitable.
How about throwing in a booster or two in the Tena’s, and a pair of waterproof pants.
Adding a booster adds to the cost. I might as well buy a higher capacity diaper at that point. Remember that I don't have insurance coverage. And yes, I do wear plastic pants as I said in the original post.
Personally, I go a smidge higher on the capacity scale than those for my night diaper.
That, I'd be willing to do if there was such a choice. I keep looking, but the next step up is a LEAP in price.

I don’t know Canadian pricing but the next jump in capacity I believe is the Seni Super Plus. I go back and forth between cloth and disposables for night time and had recently tried the Tena Super for when I was staying at my Fiancé’s house. They worked okay but like you if I drank too much before bed I would always end up with a leak. I have since switched to the Seni Super Plus, which was only .25 cents more than the Tena Super and have been very happy. No leaks and I can usually get away with waiting to change till after breakfast.
slimjiminy said:
We don't seem to have them here in Canada. The highest in the product range is the Super. We can get the Flex Maxi, but that is unsuitable.

Adding a booster adds to the cost. I might as well buy a higher capacity diaper at that point. Remember that I don't have insurance coverage. And yes, I do wear plastic pants as I said in the original post.

That, I'd be willing to do if there was such a choice. I keep looking, but the next step up is a LEAP in price.

As far as I know, we don't get Seni here in Canada. I could order from Amazon, but reluctant to do so.

What’s interesting about the case of peeing an ocean above is how it reminds me of an episode I had.

Over breakfast at IHOP, my body suddenly started dumping massive quantities of urine. I’m talking five uncomfortably full bladders worth in about 20-30 minutes. I wasn’t diapered and I’m not IC, so I was running back and forth from the bathroom to my worried wife at the table. It was extreme by any measure. If it was me, I would have just stayed in the bathroom until the force of my urine caused the toilet to gravity flush itself…

The more I think about that episode, I think salty food the night before and water for apparent thirst that morning primed me for a bloated unloading. I can’t recall if I had coffee or other caffeine, but I imagine my body just reached a tipping point and opened up.

There’s also a possiblity of diabetic excessive urination, but I never had any markers for diabetes in my blood work and haven’t had episodes like this since.

I’m seeing elements like that in this story where OP’s body decides it needed to purge fluids quickly in the middle of the night.

EDIT: With an eye toward the rules respecting the IC forum as a non-IC individual, I swear the above story is 100% real and not made up.

Last edited:
blaincorrous said:
...The more I think about that episode, I think salty food the night before and water for apparent thirst that morning primed me for a bloated unloading. I can’t recall if I had coffee or other caffeine, but I imagine my body just reached a tipping point and opened up.

There’s also a possiblity of diabetic excessive urination, but I never had any markers for diabetes in my blood work and haven’t had episodes like this since.
Interesting. I do think my episode was related to salt. I know you're supposed to avoid it yada yada... but I love movie styled popcorn (but I can't enjoy microwave popcorn anymore due to the oils causing IBS).

My theory is that if I eat a lot of salty food, it causes me to retain water for a day+ until the body decides that it can release it. The morning before the urine release at night, I had felt the effects of a salt hangover. So perhaps at that point I was excessively hydrated, which worked itself out that night. The tea in that afternoon would be a second factor in this.

Reactions: blaincorrous
Update:

I just remembered that the last time I had a lot of salt (in popcorn), that my ankles showed swelling from water retention. It took a couple of days for that swelling to disappear. So that water has to go somewhere at some point.

Reactions: blaincorrous
slimjiminy said:
So my question is, can you tell your hydration level before you climb into bed? That is, can you decide when it will be a MegaMax night?
Short answer is yes. I’m usually dehydrated in the evening so I know I can drink at least one glass of water and have a cup of tea before going to bed. I’ll be soaked in the morning, but not leaking. Of course, I always wear a cloth or disposable diaper with boosters at night.

If I’m wetting my evening diaper and not dehydrated before bed then I limit my water intake before bed to just one glass of water, maybe even a half a glass. My bladder seems to go in overdrive at night.

I have severe OAB with incontinence and manage with a high capacity diaper, booster (large booster during the day, and at night, an extra-large with profile coverage) and plastic pants. Even with this heavy duty protection, leaks, while rare are always a possibility. I typically don't drink much within three hours before bed. Otherwise I'll be waking up during the night wetting and probably having to change my diaper. Unfortunately my OAB doesn't stop after going to sleep so I'm up two or three times. Fortunately I am generally able to go back to sleep quickly.

Not sure how severe your symptoms are or what your diagnosis is, but would a thick cloth diaper work for you at night? Cloth is out of the question for me during the day, but an overnight cloth diaper likely would be fine, and they're more economical than disposables. Of course you would need to wear plastic pants, but it seems you do anyway so you already have them.

slimjiminy said:

You can use cloth booster made out of microfiber In your disposables, I do, and they change a cheap diaper into a very absorbent diaper. Yes, the upfront cost is a bit more, but in the long run you save a lot of money.

Microfibre cloths are readily available in 600 x 700 mm size on internet and these really work well at wicking the wee right around the disposable making it so much more absorbant and my nightime disposable Nappy will be 100% wet on removal!

slimjiminy said:
can you tell your hydration level before you climb into bed? That is, can you decide when it will be a MegaMax night?
Not sure if this game is worth it. I prefer to wake with 50% used heavy diaper every day during the month, instead of playing this game and having one or two wet nights simply because I underestimated my fluid intake.

slimjiminy said:
I find that the TENA Super to be most cost effective, and usually sufficient.
Same here man. Hard to beat for the overall bang for the buck with the supers and a diaper cover/plastic pant... I add cloth boosters in mine for that extra bit of absorbency and wicking just for the peace of mind.

I find full blown abdl diapers to be too expensive for every night usage, their ridiculous absorbency ratings are WAY more than I ever need overnight, but also I find the wicking is terrible in them because of all the SAP.
Like you, I find the supers are my ideal bed savers.

Reactions: slimjiminy
I use Tena Ultima and have done since Aug 21, I have leaked in them if I really pee a lot, I need to get some better plastic pants that fit my legs, mine aren't tight and leak too!

I drink a lot of water due to my meds, bad dry mouth all the time.....and I drink water in bed too, from my MAM baby bottle so I don't drop it and get the bed or myself wet either.

I've had to change in the night as I've wet too early and know that my Tena won't make another wetting, which is a pain as I have spinal arthritis and once I have to move too much in bed I'm awake for a while, due to pain....Meh!!! Lol, what can you do?! Lol

I'm lucky that I now get my Tena Ultima's from the UK health service for free, but that's only the last 3mths, but it will continue now, thankfully and
will save me a lot of money as a pack of 3x21 was over 60gbp!

Back