ARBBB2

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Carer
  5. Other
I have heard that J and J are stopping production of baby powder. Has anyone heard if this is a fact? Just to be safe I bought every bottle of powder they had at Wal-mart last night, Got six of the big jugs, figure I will use them anyway even if its not true.

Reactions: Edgewater
They are going to stop making talc based baby powder. They will keep making the corn starch based powder. I believe that the corn starch based powder is the only one that's been available in the US for a few years.

• Love
Reactions: chiaochai, Edgewater and Deleted member 56273
If you want talc baby powder, there are cases of talc Up&Up baby powder for sale on eBay for cheap. Not affiliated.

pinkpullups said:
They are going to stop making talc based baby powder.
Their decision came after many complaints about cancer caused by asbestos found on talc-based baby powder.

ARBBB2 said:
I have heard that J and J are stopping production of baby powder.
Only the talc-based baby powder will be taken out of production because of lawsuits filed by many customers over numerous cancer cases caused by asbestos and other toxic chemicals.

This already happened a couple years ago. In the US or possibly the entire NA market, JJs stopped selling their original talc based formula. I did like you and rushed out to buy every last bottle i could find (I should have at least a decade or twos worth of powder now).

However, I was shopping online for it too, and discovered that in other markets outside the US, original talc formula and even other scents using talc are still being sold. You can find international listings on eBay and Amazon.

About what happened. Everything I've read has led me to believe they discontinued US sales for political reasons. The story goes that ppl(mainly just females) are prone to some cancer caused by asbestos that is naturally occurring in talcum powder. During manufacturing JJs has measures in place to get rid of or mitigate the asbestos contamination. Research and analysis was done. Though not present in all or even the majority of bottles, trace amounts of asbestos have been found in JJ talcum powders sold on store shelves. But, despite those findings, it has never been clearly linked to any cases or rise in cases of cancer. Lawsuits were taken out against JJ but I don't think anything ever came from them. Legally they were still allowed to sell talc based products, and were...until the pandemic. Public boycotts and bad publicity came to a head and at the start of the pandemic talc products were no longer profitable for JJs in the US, so they discontinued sales in US markets.

I'm hoping that one day the world comes back to its senses and we can all have talc in stock at our local stores again. It has many uses beyond just diapering(I used some to locate a transmission leak). I've yet to try anything that comes close to the feeling of real talc, and yes it just works better. The texture of it is heavenly. CS powders can feel gritty and actually support bacterial growth.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Sealander, Edgewater, littledub1955 and 1 other person
I went to put some baby powder in my tykables overnight last night at bed time, and discovered I had run out. so went to the chemist and he didn't have any. got some in the end in tescos. its called fred & flo. I assume it'll do the same job as j&j. I like to use baby powder in my nappy because I like the feel of it on my bum. also helps a bit with the smell if I do number 2s in public.

BabyTweetyBird said:
Cornstarch is much safer than talc.
but it doesn't smell the same

its just not the same :(

• Love
Reactions: Kinkybabynicky, Deleted member 56273, Sealander and 1 other person
Talc, as noted above can be reduced of low levels of asbestos. What level is safe has yet to be determined and likely never will be. The reason that J&J and all other baby powder manufactures were sued was because the vast number of lawyers handling cases against organizations who products were far north of 75+ percent concentration. With money sources were running short, so those lawyers began looking at every product that contained any amount of asbestos and began a near endless number attacks including listing them in the News. When they came across baby powder they knew that they had a cash rich resource as everyone loved babies.

Today, talc is quickly on its way out globally!

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: Deleted member 56273 and Sealander
That's awful. I'd better stock up.

Edgewater said:
Talc, as noted above can be reduced of low levels of asbestos. What level is safe has yet to be determined and likely never will be. The reason that J&J and all other baby powder manufactures were sued was because the vast number of lawyers handling cases against organizations who products were far north of 75+ percent concentration. With money sources were running short, so those lawyers began looking at every product that contained any amount of asbestos and began a near endless number attacks including listing them in the News. When they came across baby powder they knew that they had a cash rich resource as everyone loved babies.

Today, talc is quickly on its way out globally!
Law enforcers work for the profit and greed of their corporate bosses. Consumers are the big losers as usual.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Angry
You can still get in the UK, Got to get more as my stock is getting low.

I’m surprised with all the technology that some companies haven’t released an original baby powder smell for the cornstarch powder. Or a safer alternative with the same scent.

Reactions: Kinkybabynicky
I’m curious to know more about the origins of the baby powder scent. Did Johnson & Johnson develop the scent themselves or did it exist earlier and they simply adopted for use in their product?

Reactions: jbond007 and Edgewater
DanElmontan said:
I’m curious to know more about the origins of the baby powder scent. Did Johnson & Johnson develop the scent themselves or did it exist earlier and they simply adopted for use in their product?
J&J marketing created their scent as part of their full baby support product line. The end result is generations that buy J&J baby products for many of their Adult uses.

DanElmontan said:
You can be sure that Johnson & Johnson patented the perfume in their products, just as perfumers patent their products. The recipes are closely guarded and are protected under patent and Trade Secrets laws.

Back