Is this a mental illness

I was thinking. Maybe many abdls don't really care all that much. I think we are quite unscientific. Put it on. Use it until (a) it needs changing or (b) we run out of available time, whichever is sooner.

As I mentioned before, maybe metrics like wet and dry thickness, rise, etc might be more useful.

All I really take from. These high capacity diapers is that they absorb a lot. Do they ever absorb what is claimed? No. Will they leak? Depends how much you use them but almost definitely before you have to worry about capacity being the limiting factor.

Last edited:
starpointrune said:
I was thinking. Maybe many abdls don't really care all that much. I think we are quite unscientific. Put it on. Use it until (a) it needs changing or (b) we run out of available time, whichever is sooner.

As I mentioned before, maybe metrics like wet and dry thickness, rise, etc might be more useful.

All I really take from. These high capacity diapers is that they absorb a lot. Do they ever absorb what is claimed? No. Will they leak? Depends how much you use them but almost definitely before you have to worry about capacity being the limiting factor.
I think you might have intended to post this in the thread about Rearz maybe?

Bnuuy said:
I think you might have intended to post this in the thread about Rearz maybe?
Ooops! Really don't know how that happened . Sorry! 🤣

No, it’s a hobby!!

Reactions: buridan
keepitonDL said:
I didn’t pick this , and I feel like no one really does .
Everybody has lots of personality traits they didn't choose. Most of those traits aren't mental illnesses or symptoms of mental illnesses.

Reactions: keepitonDL
keepitonDL said:
I classify my experience as a mental illness that I’ve had to accept . I’ve mentioned in my previous posts about countless therapists, jealousy of the “norm”, self hatred ect

I feel like some people out there like me can see where it went all wrong? For me it was my parents abuse involving a diaper. And then one thing leads to another where I suddenly am drawn into this. It’s like being pulled in . Every time there an adult diaper section I glance a little long than I should I don’t know.
I didn’t pick this role. Where is my choice ? Boom mental illness innit
I think it *can* be a mental illness. But I take a look at the clause in the DSM, which I think is universal, or at least almost universal:

> The symptoms cause clinically signifcant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

There are also other limiting factors, but this one feels critical. Like, "symptoms are not part of an accepted cultural practice," and "not part of a response to a substance, or another medical condition."

Last edited:
  • Thinking
Reactions: Azizi, keepitonDL and AJFan2020
keepitonDL said:
I classify my experience as a mental illness that I’ve had to accept . I’ve mentioned in my previous posts about countless therapists, jealousy of the “norm”, self hatred ect

I feel like some people out there like me can see where it went all wrong? For me it was my parents abuse involving a diaper. And then one thing leads to another where I suddenly am drawn into this. It’s like being pulled in . Every time there an adult diaper section I glance a little long than I should I don’t know.
Illness has a connotation that suggests a problem. This is not a mental illness. Condition may be more appropriate. But based on any DSM definitions, ABDL hurts no one including the person who has it, so no, illness it is most certainly not. Condition would be more appropriate IMO

keepitonDL said:
no because I’m doing the same ; what I want lol
I personally don’t see this as a mental illness although I wrestled with that idea for many years.
I found therapy enormously beneficial in coming to terms with it.
My therapists view was that it is just one small part me and that small part did not define me.
Ultimately I see this as a wonderful coping mechanism.
We are blessed really to have this 😊

babyscotty37 said:
Trying to "accept" this part of me has led to major depression!
My profile tells my full story, but I was raised in a loving family on a farm. The only problem was how my mom dealt with accidents when I was 4-5. If a little urine leaked out, usually while outside playing, she'd diaper me, or my twin brother as a punishment. I'd have to just wear a t-shirt and diaper the rest of the day and if anyone stopped by they'd see me. But due to having surgeries for my club foot beginning at six months, the pain of braces, and then having to wear a back brace as well until the 8th grade, my small school peers were not kind. My mom's diapering me stirred something in me that I liked and was comforted by. Soon, regressing or disassociating to around 18 months became a way of survival for me.
But the most damage occurred in my mid 30's not long after first learning there were "others" kind of like me. I also had just gotten my first computer and internet service. There wasn't much to learn about though at the time. But I also dealt with light incontinence issues after my back surgeries at 13. I had also married at 20 to the first pretty woman that I got to know. We were both immature, but she had her issues too.
After about ten years of marriage is when I discovered there were others that liked diapers because she saw the Donahue show. What she described though didn't really fit why I wore them. Yes, there became a sexual aspect, but it was the regression and emotional comfort I was after. I had kept that from her and always felt guilty about it. But when I finally left her a note one morning before work, my life fell apart. She called our pastor and all the wives of our church friends!!! I was publicly outed in a dramatic way. I feel this one thing caused me the most emotional harm of my entire life. The very close second was my going inpatient at a Christian-based mental hospital that proceeded to pigeonhole me as a sex addict only!! The extreme, intense public shame all but destroyed me, and that led to years of extreme depression, multiple hospitalizations, and loneliness. Thankfully, through hard work, my faith and trust in Christ, and understanding He does love and want the best for me, have led to mostly a good life.
So, wanting to be diapered after my toddler years I don't think is a mental illness, it is the consequence that many of us reacting to life circumstances. EVERY ONE OF US in the world has coping mechanisms, big and small. And there are really good ones and really bad ones. I think if we can find self-acceptance then we've picked much closer to the good than the bad.
Just thinking out loud????
I couldn't help but let a tear out when reading your story. The way your wife outed you was absolutely terrible and let me just say that the one needing help was her. I understand someone can have troubles dealing with such a confession from his loving ones but nothing good can come when we ask God to change the way we are. Your story actually reminds me of those homosexual people who go to christian therapy session in the hope of changing their sexual orientation.
I'm super glad that after years of darkness finally came light and you can now accept yourself. And yes, if you're Christian you said it right: he wants you to be happy and to lead a happy life.

keepitonDL said:

I can totally understand you and relate to what you're saying. Even though I never consider my AB/DL being as a mental illness, I remember years of feeling guilty for not trying hard enough to start away from diapers. I guess I used to consider it as some kind of dependence I didn't really try or want to heal from. From all of this came the shame. Again, self-hatred is definitely a strong word and I think I never hated myself truly, but I do see why you're feeling this way. From a psychiatric point of view AB/DL is considered a paraphilia, so as others have stated, more or less as a harmless kink which can have a different meaning and way to express in every individual. So I want to encourage you to stop using that word for yourself, also 'cause not insulting ourselves with the words we use to describe ourselves helps with acceptance.
Try and forgive yourself for the abuse you lived. I know of course you're not guilty, but sometimes we feel like we could have done something to avoid it or stop it (at least that's how I felt after my abuse), and I needed to forgive myself for this sense of guilt. And secondly, just try and let it flow. Use all the diapers you need without judging yourself, cause if they help you cope with your abuse and relieve from stress and anxiety they're just as useful as a med. And finally don't stop looking for the right therapist. Along with a very good friend who you can open up to that can work wonders. I was lucky to meet a super precious friend here on Adisc and he helped me make giant steps towards acceptance. To this day I can see how we helped each other and how we thus still need each other in our lives.
One last thing: trying to repress your AB/DL side won't make it go away. I always say that being AB/DL is just like being gay: it's not something that you can make go away and it will keeping all your life. One more reason to focus on self acceptance, given that not only you're not hurting anyone but you're also making yourself feel better when using diapers. A big hug.

Last edited:
Reactions: DinoFrant, MetalDan86 and sbmccue
As far as psychology is concerned, the answer is pretty much no. Mental illness and disorders have pretty specific qualifications mainly revolving around harm and impairment in everyday life as JigmeDatse pointed out. That being said, that shouldn't detract from the fact that there are hard things about this that interfere with a variety of aspects of life. Things like depression, DID, PTSD, ADHD, autism, generalized anxiety, personality disorders, and all the rest are considered mental illnesses because of their severity and interference in everyday life. Paraphilia is the result of pairing sex or attachment to not human things and I would say it's more of a sexuality, which presents its own issues and struggles that are very separate. While it is a compulsive behavior, it's mostly harmless and easy to keep under control. There's nothing ill about wanting to be in diapers, liking the same sex, or generally being attracted to anything out of the norm. It doesn't even have to be sexual.

In my mind, everyone has their own struggles, and personally I don't think it does much good to try and appropriate labels to escalate severity, but we can help and support people in whatever they're going through. For anyone who needs help, big or small, I don't think that's something we should start putting qualifications on. These things come in all different shapes and sizes, which is the biggest factor to me. Any level of "you'll never understand what I've gone through" is really self-destructive and unproductive. The things people in communities like these struggle with are very real and can be incredibly emotional. Abuse survivors, rejection, social isolation, this stuff is not easy. Regardless of what anyone calls it, I think it's something that should be treated with care, understanding, and accommodation when appropriate. We're all just trying to figure out how to live together, the best thing any of us can do is support each other no matter the struggle. It is still valid to exist. Live your best life, whatever that might look like for you.

keepitonDL said:

"This is not a mental illness" and "nothing´s wrong with you" can´t be said enough times, even after everything else that needs to be said has already been said. I´ve explored your exact same thoughts along with much darker childhood memories in therapy for years and finally made my peace with this side of me and learned to just embrace it. I really wish you find some peace within your heart to forgive yourself and encourage yourself to keep on going as there is so much pain compressed in your lines.

Whilst I didn´t pick the type of underwear that blows my senses away every single time, I can tell you that the past two years have been my happiest years in a very long time after choosing to stay diapered full time. I don´t think as obsesively about diapers as I did before because now they´re not only part of my daily routine, but also a secret confidence boost. That, combined with an understanding psychiatrist, has done wonders for my overall mood.

Also, posting here has been a major help, because for me is very reassuring to know I´m not the first nor the only nor the last human wearing diapers for comfort, and I can also express myself and somehow get to type my concerns out of my system.

You may not have picked this, but you´re not alone!

Reactions: foxkits, lilbabyjooce, charliee and 1 other person
I don't know if I'd call it a mental illness unless you're so obsessed about diapers it's negatively impacting your life. And even then the diapers aren't the cause it's something else going on mentally causing the obsession/addiction.

As far as I'm concerned it's an unusual but mostly harmless quirk.

I don't think it is a mental illness at all as probably most if not all people have something that pushes the right button for them and Nappies just happen to be our button !
Originally I just loved the rubber pants but over the years my interest has widened to anything Nappies, I like so many here were either born or more likely had something happen to you regarding Nappies that it is now your "kink" and for the lucky Nappy Diaper lovers we now get to live our "kink" and dont forget those yhat have to wesr eho now also enjoy Nappies possibly adding them into another kink they had for something else.

Back