Is it okay to like babyfur art but not be interested in role-playing IRL?

CutieProtector

Sir Diaper Knight, Defender of Babyfurs!
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Diaperfur
I look at babyfur artwork and find a lot of it very adorable. But I'm not sure if that means I would be interested in AB/DL role-playing in real life. I haven't done any role-playing in real life yet.

I think it's cute the way babyfur fursonas role-play with each other. I like how they're kind to each other, the ways they hug/cuddle, how they get embarrassed when they need to be changed, and so on. Part of me wants to experience this in real life, but I get the sense I wouldn't like it.

For one, in online art I prefer furry/animal characters over humans, and prefer cartoons over real life images. Thus, I worry I'm too picky and would dislike interacting with people because they're obviously real people and not cute cartoon characters. I don't mean to offend anybody; this is just my preference. Next, I'm introverted and generally not interested in meeting new people. I have Autism and generally don't like being touched, so I don't like hugging either. Lastly, I don't have a strong desire to act like a baby (ex. wearing diapers, talking like a baby, playing with toys, etc.). I'm not interested in doing this by myself, and if I do it with someone else, I feel like it would take effort to act like a baby. Then I would stress over whether I'm acting enough like a baby, which defeats the purpose of doing so in the first place.

Should I just try out some role-playing to see for myself if I like it? If so, what should I start out with?

Reactions: Blathers, perlFerret and JaysonTheRegressor
Yeah of course it's ok! A lot of furries like furry art but never roleplay or own a fursuit anyways
I'd recommend online roleplay before IRL roleplay to see if it's a concept you like in the first place

Also if you're ever in the market fur babyfur commissions I do sell them and even have some YCHs available for cheaper ^^

Reactions: CutieProtector and Blathers
You're not the only one who likes furry characters and art without wanting to roleplay. A lot of furries will tell you that roleplay is the most important part of the community, but it's totally not, you can perfectly be a furry (or babyfur in this case) without roleplaying. Of course, I would recommend trying to roleplay (online) at least once to experience what it is like, but then you decide if you like it and want more o you don't like it and stop.

But in case you don't like roleplay, don't worry about it. You can find plenty of furries who also don't like it and just want to make some friends :3

Reactions: CutieProtector, Blathers and perlFerret
Weird question.

Is it allowed to like watching a sport (like car race, soccer, football) but not do it by yourself?

• Love
Reactions: frankenmup
This is (pretty much) what I do. I look at quite a bit of babyfur artwork on furaffinity, inkbunny, and some other sites, but I don’t have a fursuit, and probably never will even if I can afford it later on.

Last edited:
Reactions: onecho and perlFerret
CutieProtector said:
I look at babyfur artwork and find a lot of it very adorable. But I'm not sure if that means I would be interested in AB/DL role-playing in real life. I haven't done any role-playing in real life yet.
You're kind of where I was at a few years ago. I went from hating furries to deciding babyfur art was ok to participating in the fandom. After being an observer for a while, I created a generic character just so I could have an excuse to throw money at new artists that I liked. Eventually I found myself in a regional chat for babyfurs, met up with one to buy some diapers, met up with him a few months later at his house to watch a movie while padded, met up a bunch more times and eventually started diapering each other, decided we were a couple, broke up a year later (still friends though), and at this point all but one or two of my RL friends are furry.

Just remember though that it is what you make of it. At its most basic, furry is just people who enjoy anthropomorphic art. You don't need to RP or have a fursona or go to conventions or have a fursuit to do that.

CutieProtector said:
Should I just try out some role-playing to see for myself if I like it? If so, what should I start out with?
You could if you want. I resisted it for a long time because the only kind I'd seen was the really cringy "OwO notices ur buldge an nuzzles ur neck UwU wat dis" kind of stuff. I made a friend who was really into RP though and learned that the are multiple different styles. He eventually convinced me to try an RP with him and I was really surprised how much I enjoyed it. The things that made it fun:
1) we planned it out a little bit and talked outside the RP about general themes and key stuff we wanted to have happen in it
2) we wrote in 3rd person narration, and most replies were full paragraphs. It was more like writing a collaborative short story
3) he was my friend that I'd known for a while and so the fact that it was a kinky rp didn't feel too weird. We also had a good idea of each other's preferences and limits, so it never got too uncomfortable.

Reactions: CutieProtector
That number 3 is a big one. Set your limits of what you do/don't do so that others know what to expect of you and what you expect out of them.

There are SFW rp and NSFW rp's. Up to you what kind you want but know that some people are into only one or the other. (Some like both, some like none, this is why it's important to ask before you start rping.)

I'll do light rp if I am comfortable with the group. (I believe the other day I stole both crunchy and smooth peanut butter in a Discord chat because I couldn't decide which to eat in the rp. LOL I think I hid them in the sofa of the playroom.)

Just don't try to control other people's characters too much. It's up to them. :3

Now, if it's something like you're both going on a roller coaster, you describing the ride would be fine usually. IE: "Both get into the car and fasten their seatbelts. The ride starts! Up the hill we go! Almost at the top...are we stuck? NOoooooooo We're going around the first loop! Now down a corkscrew turn and through a tunnel! We're back out the other side!" etc.)

Reactions: CutieProtector and perlFerret
I like babyfur art and don't role play period. I've also seen babyfur artists who state on their profiles they don't role play. I don't think its that unusual.

Last edited:
Reactions: perlFerret
hex000f said:
I like babyfur art and don't role play period. I've also seen babyfur artists who state on their profiles they don't role play. I don't think its that unusual.

There are a handful of specific people who usually make artists say that. They'll just start trying to start RPs with artists out of the blue and they're usually the most awful cringe inducing stuff from a person the artist doesn't even know. So they'll just be like "NO RP." Because hopefully those people will be like "Aw...but I want to..." And they can just point at it and be like "I SAID GOOD DAY."

(I do not mention the names on purpose...it's like spraying yourself with gravy in a lion den. They'll show up wherever the name is mentioned. XD)

Last edited:
I think "why not?" If ya like it, you don't need special involvement...there's no accounting for taste in the arts. Enjoy! 🥳

CuddleWoozle said:
...it's like spraying yourself with gravy in a lion den...
Or wearing sirloin shorts in the same den? Either way, talk about a "fashion plate". 😂

Last edited:
CuddleWoozle said:
There are a handful of specific people who usually make artists say that. They'll just start trying to start RPs with artists out of the blue and they're usually the most awful cringe inducing stuff from a person the artist doesn't even know. So they'll just be like "NO RP." Because hopefully those people will be like "Aw...but I want to..." And they can just point at it and be like "I SAID GOOD DAY."

(I do not mention the names on purpose...it's like spraying yourself with gravy in a lion den. They'll show up wherever the name is mentioned. XD)
As a counter example to this situation I've had a few polite requests to online RP in both ABDL communities and not and I've politely told them "no thank you". Admittedly I had a somewhat bad experience with an in person informal role play in the distant past but I don't think that's the only reason why I don't want to role play online.

edit: Not trying to say that the creepy people you mentioned don't exist. I just wanted to point that not every situation is like that.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. I like babyfur artwork primarily because it's cute and I like that I can semi-relate to the characters. But I don't generally do little RP - my fursona is a full-grown ferret (with no interest in diapers, etc.). For some odd reason I tend not to like mixing the two. *shrug*

Reactions: Blathers
I've been slowly working on a babyfur fursona, and planning on commissioning some art when I'm done.

But I don't do any babyfur roleplay, and don't consider myself a babyfur. Whatever. I think it's kind of a fun expression of ABDL-ness regardless, and needn't be an identity thing.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Blathers and JaysonTheRegressor
LOL I'm going to opposite way, Cottontail. I'm thinking I can be a kidfur and be like "Eh, I'm not ABDL." I've been feeling more and more of a divide between what I am and what direction the community in general seems to be taking so I've been feeling quite a bit that I don't really fit in. XD

Cottontail said:
I've been slowly working on a babyfur fursona, and planning on commissioning some art when I'm done.

But I don't do any babyfur roleplay, and don't consider myself a babyfur. Whatever. I think it's kind of a fun expression of ABDL-ness regardless, and needn't be an identity thing.
I'd love to see when you finish :)

Reactions: Blathers
CuddleWoozle said:

Like Voldemort with the taboo on his name? Don't say it, or he'll know where to find you?

Exactly.

You just try not to mention them by name because it's like they just KNOW and show up to be awful. One guy used to message artists and demand they 'play' with him and if they refused he would basically throw an enormous fit and harass them non-stop. He messaged me once and I refused to acknowledge his existence at all. LOL

It's also kind of like that really mean game that some people would play as kids...someone is in the room talking and you're going "Did anyone hear something?" "No. Just the wind." "Oh, thought I heard something." while ignoring the person trying to get attention just so they -know- they're being actively ignored. XD

AJFan2020 said:
This is (pretty much) what I do. I look at quite a bit of babyfur artwork on furaffinity, inkbunny, and some other sites, but I don’t have a fursuit, and probably never will even if I can afford it later on.
I’m very much in this camp. The closest I have to a fursuit is a kugirumi I bought from bunnywarez when they were still in business. I guess I see my fur side as very anthropomorphic as opposed to feral. Hence, you won’t catch me growling and such... unless it’s too early and I have to be coherent before 9am. 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: JaysonTheRegressor and perlFerret
onecho said:
I’m very much in this camp. The closest I have to a fursuit is a kugirumi I bought from bunnywarez when they were still in business. I guess I see my fur side as very anthropomorphic as opposed to feral. Hence, you won’t catch me growling and such... unless it’s too early and I have to be coherent before 9am. 🤪
I growled at a colleague as my first introduction to him. He was too close to the toaster in which my pop tart was at the time.

perlFerret said:
I growled at a colleague as my first introduction to him. He was too close to the toaster in which my pop tart was at the time.
The cad! I trust the resulting duel in response to his unmitigated transgression was swift and effective? * twirls mustache * 🧐

Oh and what flavor? 😁

Back