Interstim Implant

cm90210

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Have any of you tried an interstim implant for bladder dysfunction? I started having problems with frequency and urgency back in 2019-2020 and stumbled across a medical trial for interstim devices. I signed up and was actually approved — I ended up being assigned to the control group which was for the standard of care, the Medtronic mri safe implant that goes through your pelvis in the back on the sacral nerve. The test unit was for an ankle nerve implant.
Anyways, the trial implant was amazing and relieved like 90% of my symptoms. I was allowed to keep the permanent device. And best of all it was 100% free. It’s been 3 years now and I’ll have to get the battery replaced in 2 years. But it’s been so worth it to not have to worry when I’m out and about — and not have to get up to pee hourly at all hours of the day and night.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and Diprs2
An Interstim was an option for me after diagnosis (and still is), but at the moment i am fine with the Botox injections.

The Interstim has got "side effects" i do not like, for example i could no longer do my favorite sports. At the moment it is no option for me for that alone. But good to hear it works for you just fine.

Reactions: Diprs2
cm90210 said:
Have any of you tried an interstim implant for bladder dysfunction? I started having problems with frequency and urgency back in 2019-2020 and stumbled across a medical trial for interstim devices. I signed up and was actually approved — I ended up being assigned to the control group which was for the standard of care, the Medtronic mri safe implant that goes through your pelvis in the back on the sacral nerve. The test unit was for an ankle nerve implant.
Anyways, the trial implant was amazing and relieved like 90% of my symptoms. I was allowed to keep the permanent device. And best of all it was 100% free. It’s been 3 years now and I’ll have to get the battery replaced in 2 years. But it’s been so worth it to not have to worry when I’m out and about — and not have to get up to pee hourly at all hours of the day and night.
I have an mri safe rechargeable interstim device. I would say that it has improved symptoms about 75%. Not enough to risk going out of the house without protection, but certainly a big improvement on being wet all day. It takes about 20 minutes a week to keep it charged up.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and Diprs2
nappyman60 said:
I have an mri safe rechargeable interstim device. I would say that it has improved symptoms about 75%. Not enough to risk going out of the house without protection, but certainly a big improvement on being wet all day. It takes about 20 minutes a week to keep it charged up.
What brand is yours?
mine is Medtronic and has non rechargeable batteries. Which is awesome that they’re good for 5 years, but really annoying that you have to go back to surgery to get them changed.

I have a non-rechargeable Medtronic Interstim with MRI-approved leads. I got it in late 2020, so it's been in about three years.

For me, it's been amazing. It has reduced my bladder pain to almost nothing. In conjunction with Botox injections, I've seen a significant decrease in accidents, though not quite down to zero. Still, I'd rather have a dry diaper instead of a wet one, so I'll take the improvement in my continence, and I love the reduction in pain. Really, though, it depends on your symptoms and your goals.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Pino
cm90210 said:
What brand is yours?
mine is Medtronic and has non rechargeable batteries. Which is awesome that they’re good for 5 years, but really annoying that you have to go back to surgery to get them changed.
Yes, mine is also from medtronic.

ltaluv said:
I have a non-rechargeable Medtronic Interstim with MRI-approved leads. I got it in late 2020, so it's been in about three years.

For me, it's been amazing. It has reduced my bladder pain to almost nothing. In conjunction with Botox injections, I've seen a significant decrease in accidents, though not quite down to zero. Still, I'd rather have a dry diaper instead of a wet one, so I'll take the improvement in my continence, and I love the reduction in pain. Really, though, it depends on your symptoms and your goals.

That’s an observation that I haven’t frequently reflected on. Before my implant I also had a LOT of bladder pain when it would be spasming. Not a ton of leakage or accidents, but gosh, a major amount of pain every day all day. Since my implant, the pain is essentially zero. Amazing little device. I’m so grateful for it!!

Back