Interesting find

BenNevis

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I just popped into the corner shop and happened to notice they had these vintage looking Pampers there and had to buy a pack.

Does anyone have any idea when they were from? They’re plastic backed, and a size 5 but they feel look quite big.

And does anyone remember these being the nappies they used to wear? I’d be interested to hear if this design is nostalgic for anyone.

A1A5149B-8006-418F-946A-02DDFB1D820D.jpeg053AF87D-105E-4204-B683-A3798C825696.jpeg

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: TigerDL, littledreamers333, LittleScotty and 7 others
Wow. Late 90’s, maybe? Any dates on the package?

Did you by chance have to climb over barbed wire, pry boards off the door, and browse the aisles with a flashlight?

Oldest baby diapers I’ve come across in a physical store were 7-8 years old.

• Haha
Reactions: TigerDL, CodyBaby, theancientmariner and 2 others
Cottontail said:
Any dates on the package?
I did have a look around and there’s something which might look like an 84 but it’s not very clear at all.
Cottontail said:
Did you by chance have to climb over barbed wire, pry boards off the door, and browse the aisles with a flashlight?
😂 They were just sitting there on the bottom shelf and looked very out of place and my gaze was drawn straight to them. While I often ‘take a wrong turn’ down the nappy aisle, this is the first time I’d ever seen anything like that!

Reactions: Angelapinks
BenNevis said:
I did have a look around and there’s something which might look like an 84 but it’s not very clear at all.
They're definitely not that old--last 90's at the oldest. But they're still a remarkable find.

Reactions: BenNevis
Oh wow. That's really cool. Nice find.
Those yellow bears do look a bit familiar actually... 🤔

Great discovery 🥲

Last edited:
BenNevis said:
I just popped into the corner shop and happened to notice they had these vintage looking Pampers there and had to buy a pack.

Does anyone have any idea when they were from? They’re plastic backed, and a size 5 but they feel look quite big.

And does anyone remember these being the nappies they used to wear? I’d be interested to hear if this design is nostalgic for anyone.

View attachment 96709View attachment 96708
yo i remember these! these were all over the place in the 90's,. i know from 1992 onward, and i remember seeing these at WinDixie in KY when i was 5ish or 6ishand for several years after that. till maybe 98ish but dont quote me on that date.

These are from around the Year 2000.

Maybe they were old stock found in a store-room or attic by the shop owners and put on the shelf without realising how old they were.

There was a size 6 of this type and they were the last available plastic backed Pampers in the UK.

Reactions: Prillprillprill, Cottontail and BenNevis
Last time plastic backed diapers were sold in the US was the mid 90s. Can't say for UK though.

They must be around. Someone had been selling them on eBay within the last year for around $100 a bag. Cool finding them out in the wild! LOL

Reactions: TigerDL, Angelapinks and BenNevis
My grandmother would babysit a bunch of kids for money since she couldn't work. A few of them were baby/toddler age and still in diapers. Most of the moms brought over pampers for them and I can tell from memory those are from the mid to late 90's. I'd wager a guesstimate of between 94-96ish...if memory serves diapers didn't tend to change designs a lot back then. You'd typically see the same run for years without any change unlike today where they seem to have a new design every year or so.

Reactions: RoseofThorns, PuffPuffPaci and BenNevis
These are a great find!! I remember these!!

They're definitely pre-2001 as that's when the Pampers logo changed to the handwritten font and yellow heart.
As our resident expert @PCS has said they're from around the year 2000.
I certainly remember buying packs of them as a teenager when I was at school and hiding them in my wardrobe, although I remember some being branded as Baby Dry too with a slightly different design.

Antientmariner said:
Last time plastic backed diapers were sold in the US was the mid 90s. Can't say for UK though.
I think Luvs switched right around 2000. I say that because I think it happened when a younger sibling was in them. Some of the off brands might have been a little later. I know I got a plastic backed baby diaper around 2007 from a gas station it was just a pack with a single diaper in it similer to what you could but from the vending machine in a Walmart rest room, it could have been old stock.

• Wow
Reactions: theancientmariner and BenNevis
I remember finding 90s Attends on the shelf of a discount drug store near my job. This was around 2008 or so. So they were almost vintage at that point. Stores at this point were really only selling clothlike diapers,pads and underwear. So to me was a good find. They were the classic all white plastic Attends. I bought a couple of bags and wanted to get more but didnt want to attract too much attention at the register. So I went back a few weeks later and got another bag and noticed they were dwindling already. I went back a month later and there were none left. That was it....the store never carried anymore. It mustve been some old stock they found and put it out at the time.

Reactions: TigerDL, tommytemper and BenNevis
MikeDJ said:
I remember finding 90s Attends on the shelf of a discount drug store near my job. This was around 2008 or so. So they were almost vintage at that point. Stores at this point were really only selling clothlike diapers,pads and underwear. So to me was a good find. They were the classic all white plastic Attends. I bought a couple of bags and wanted to get more but didnt want to attract too much attention at the register. So I went back a few weeks later and got another bag and noticed they were dwindling already. I went back a month later and there were none left. That was it....the store never carried anymore. It mustve been some old stock they found and put it out at the time.
I had one of these situations once. I was passing through a small town in Ontario called Beaverton. (I 💩 you not. How’s that for a stereotype of Canada? 😂). They had a couple of bags of plastic old Attends on the shelf. I was not in a position to buy them but went back a few weeks later. It was a bit of a drive! I get there and ask if they have any more and the clerk says I’ll check. She comes up from the basement with four more dusty bags! I bought all six and yes, they were already vintage too.

MikeDJ said:
I had that happen in 2020, at family run general store and pharmacy in northern WI, I took my grandparent there to pick up their prescriptions and saw an old bag of 6 tape attends there. I went back and bought them later, almost 30 years old and still sitting on the shelf, right next to the men's and women's depends, I think it was the only adult "diapers" they had, now if any one goes ther they can only have pullups, how sad.

Reactions: Subtlerustle
tommytemper said:
I had that happen in 2020, at family run general store and pharmacy in northern WI, I took my grandparent there to pick up their prescriptions and saw an old bag of 6 tape attends there. I went back and bought them later, almost 30 years old and still sitting on the shelf, right next to the men's and women's depends, I think it was the only adult "diapers" they had, now if any one goes ther they can only have pullups, how sad.
You almost never even see adult diapers on the shelves anymore in most pharmacies . Its mostly underwear and pads. If you find anything its usually old stock that was found. Everyone wants to be discreet nowadays and buy adult diapers online only.

MikeDJ said:
You almost never even see adult diapers on the shelves anymore in most pharmacies . Its mostly underwear and pads. If you find anything its usually old stock that was found. Everyone wants to be discreet nowadays and buy adult diapers online only.
Yes I stopped in a pharmacy today actually and the only diapers they had were one bag of wings in size large, the rest were pull-ups and pads. My guess is that once they sell they wont have any.

Funny story, this same pharmacy I was last in 6 or 7 years ago, the only other time I was in it I think, that time one of the ladies that worked there came up to me an asked if I needed any help finding anything as I was looking at some adult diapers (I think I had the package in my hand at the time), I must have said or implied that I was sent there for a relative or something, she asked if I was sure I was supposed to get a diaper style and not a pullup because most people use the pullups. I said I would have to double check and come back, what ever they had at the time was very generic but cost a lot so I had decided I didn't really want any of them, so that gave me a way out that felt more natural.

Back