If you're a thumb sucker, did you ever stop?

BuddyBoy said:
To correct my thumb sucking, my nursemaid made me suck my pacifier for 10 minutes. It worked. Now I love both. Putting you thumb in your mouth is a short-hand way of telling the other person you are a big baby-no further comment needed.
An additional thought on thumb-sucking: I nurse on a pacifier all night. However, when I am awake and playing with myself I find sucking my thumb increases the sense of being infantile in a way the pacifier does not.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
MiddleJacob said:
There was a point in middleJacob's life when I FR sucked my mother's finger as she read nite-time stories. Indian In The Cupboard. Strangely I don't recall ever sucking my own digits, but it seems logical that I just don't remember.

When I tell my life stories to therapists including diaper stuff, this is is the one that leaves them stunned. :think:
Jacob, it seems obvious to me that you were substituding your mother's finger for her nipple which was no longer available to you because of your age. What a good mother to indulge you! Did none of your therapists ever suggest this interpretation of your behavior?

• Thinking
BuddyBoy said:
An additional thought on thumb-sucking: I nurse on a pacifier all night. However, when I am awake and playing with myself I find sucking my thumb increases the sense of being infantile in a way the pacifier does not.

Never had a pacifier. I think it's easier for the thumb because it's right there. You don't have to look for the pacifier. They get lost. The thumb? Nope.

I remember my parents would always flip flop, if I had my pacifier they might limit me, then I'd have my fingers in my mouth, so I'd get the pacifier more as at least that could be taken away.

I pretty much did this until 9 when I grew out of it eventually

I stopped with the nail biting but still like a fiddle with the earlobe especially if they're cold..🤷‍♂️

According to my mum I was very attached to my dummies (pacifiers) I don’t necessarily see myself as a thumb sucker but more of a finger sucker I regularly unconsciously find myself with a knuckle or the tip of a finger in my mouth and me sucking it. I don’t know I don’t use my thumb but for some reason I use my fingers.

for me a pacifier is ok does the job but i have to think about it . now my thumb i can be watching TV sitting on my rocking horse no thinking the thumb goes in. i go to sleep with a pacifier but shorty after im asleep the thumb will go in. its something you dont think about it just happens

Mom never gave me a pacifier. I was a thumbsucker until right around age 5. I can remember Mom painting this bitter-tasting solution on my thumbs and I was so angry! To her consternation, I stubbornly continued sucking my thumb. Eventually the bitterness would wear off. After a week or two of that, Mom gave up. Not long after that, I stopped sucking my thumb on my own. I honestly think that if she'd taken the time to explain why I should stop sucking my thumb, or asked my pediatrician or dentist to explain it, I'd have tried to stop immediately. I was a very inquisitive kid who always needed to understand things and be reasoned with in order to be happy. When adults decided that I just needed to do something without understanding it, I'd get very frustrated and push back, and the thumbsucking thing was definitely an example of that. Thankfully Mom did eventually figure that out about me.

I never resumed sucking my thumb, and as an AB I prefer a pacifier.

Last edited:
greatlake5 said:
I can't remember if my mom said anything but I don't think she ever did. Beside, I already liked my thumb. It was right there. I supposed I just have an oral fixation.

She didn't say anything when she saw it. At least I didn't see it when I was sleeping. She did say something once when I was half-sleeping while watching TV. I just pulled out my thumb and smiled with that look like "sorry." She said I look like a little boy and I'm cute. Jesus.
It sounds like you two have a really amazing, sweet relationship. I'm really happy for you both.

Cottontail said:
Mom never gave me a pacifier. I was a thumbsucker until right around age 5. I can remember Mom painting this bitter-tasting solution on my thumbs and I was so angry! To her consternation, I stubbornly continued sucking my thumb. Eventually the bitterness would wear off. After a week or two of that, Mom gave up. Not long after that, I stopped sucking my thumb on my own. I honestly think that if she'd taken the time to explain why I should stop sucking my thumb, or asked my pediatrician or dentist to explain it, I'd have tried to stop immediately. I was a very inquisitive kid who always needed to understand things and be reasoned with in order to be happy. When adults decided that I just needed to do something without understanding it, I'd get very frustrated and push back, and the thumbsucking thing was definitely an example of that. Thankfully Mom did eventually figure that out about me.

I never resumed sucking my thumb, and as an AB I prefer a pacifier.
Yeah, my mom explained to me that if I kept sucking my thumb, it would push my teeth out. As a little kid, I had a lot of cavities and my sadist dentist never used novocaine so the threat of teeth and my dentist finally got me to stop sucking my thumb.

That bitter tasting stuff was alum as my mom used that on me as well.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Cottontail
I don't think I ever completely stopped sucking my thumb. I know by the time was 11 or 12 I didn't want anyone to see me sucking thumb except at home. I was a bedwetter until 17, and sucking my thumb seemed to be part of that syndrome. I know for sure I always had my thumb in my mouth to go to sleep. Later as an adult I continued to suck my thumb in bed and whenever I wore diapers and rubber pants at home in private. Again, part of the syndrome I lived with and still do. My wife knows and accepts it as part of my emotional need to wear diapers and rubber pants.

I sucked my thumb at night for most of my childhood. Started back sucking my thumb at night in my mid 20’s to help calm me down. I’ve been using a pacifier for about 18 years to help me sleep. It definitely helps me relax just before I fall asleep. Could be part of my anxieties, ASD, ADHD, or simply a trigger that helps me sleep.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lyric and PadPhilosopher
Back