If you could...would you? Autie AB/DL community?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belarin said:
Also as an extra thought...

Everyone so far has been talking about setting it up in American locations but do you really have to set it up in the states?

Try looking at places like Spain, There are a massive number of empty and abandoned homes in Spain as the populace has been leaving smaller towns and villages to move into the cities and population growth is not high enough to refill them.

Check out this article about how there are entire empty villages and hamlets in Spain which just lay abandoned.

"One of these, Salto de Castro, in north-west Spain, has just gone on sale for £227,000. For that, a buyer gets an entire village, including 44 homes, a hotel, a church, a school, a municipal swimming pool and even a barracks building that used to house the civil guard."

That there is about $281,000 for 44 already built houses, the land around them a swimming pool and even a hotel pre-built for any visitors, the barracks would fit quite nicely as the diaper manufacturing/storage station.
Well, for those of us currently living in the States, there are factors which would make expatriating to a different country difficult...
Employment, language issues, time zone changes, potential allergens from different plants/trees, and above all difference in electrical system for personal electronics (computers, game systems, etc)... And for those with family members who wouldn't be joining the community, being overseas would seriously inhibit visitation with those who were "left behind"...

There's nothing saying our European siblings couldn't adapt the plan for their region...

Reactions: Diaperboy27, mistykitty and BobbiSueEllen
artemisenterri said:
Well, for those of us currently living in the States, there are factors which would make expatriating to a different country difficult...
Employment, language issues, time zone changes, potential allergens from different plants/trees, and above all difference in electrical system for personal electronics (computers, game systems, etc)... And for those with family members who wouldn't be joining the community, being overseas would seriously inhibit visitation with those who were "left behind"...

There's nothing saying our European siblings couldn't adapt the plan for their region...
Or adopt the hotel method for wiring and have both types of power ports in the living spaces maybe :unsure:

Last edited:
I just wanna say this can be a thought for anywhere...not just in the US. This is definitely not a Jonestown (besides, the grape water here's cyanide-free 🫢🤭)...and I'm definitely not Jim Jones. That's not what this is all about...it's about community, not wholesale-withdrawing from society. And it's easier done without being alone or even centralized. The focus here is on community living for those with autism...with AB/DL being a by-the-way factor.

• Love
Reactions: Diaperboy27, mistykitty and artemisenterri
Some thoughts, in case they're helpful:

I'm not sure the benefits of doing this are sufficiently clear. Most people here either already have, or will have within a reasonable period of time, their own apartment/house where they can be themselves, live a "reasonable" distance from stores/services they use, etc. So... what are the unique, practical advantages of this commune? The ability to walk around the common areas in diapers and a t-shirt? Social opportunities with people similar to you? Simply securing cheap housing for the group via a combination of economies of scale and not-for-profit status? More detail might be needed.

How would you handle different people wanting different unit sizes? Someone who just graduated college might love a $550-for-one-room arrangement. Other people might want a 2 bedroom apartment. Others might want an entire house. How would you handle that? If you're going to go after one big building, its probably going to cost more than 200-300k. If it had some modularity, IE you could split/combine units easily, that might make it easier to be flexible with what people can rent while minimizing vacancies and wasted space.

Trying to pretend that the 501c3 is boarding/support for autistic individuals when in reality its for AB/DLs... I don't think its a good idea to misrepresent what the charity is for. I'm also skeptical that a charity is the best way to organize this. Charities take more work to set up and run than companies do.

• Thinking
Reactions: Diaperboy27, Belarin, mistykitty and 1 other person
One major point to consider: housing is not cheap. I currently rent a bedroom for $550...and that is cheap, especially in Boise. That is how much I was paying in Kitsap County in Washington state in 2015...in a non-urban setting. Urban settings cost more..."of course" (as said by a typical landlord). And my cousin was renting a bedroom in a county outside of Seattle Metro for $800...no frills, no money left over from her SSI check.

More and more people are ending up renting bedrooms because wages are down and rents are up. And renters are still getting soaked. You continue hearing rhetoric about 'affordable housing' here and there, and that's all it is: rhetoric. "Are there not such apartments? Is there not Section 8?" Have people not seen the lists on those? 5-year wait. And that's not bull. Try Boise...and good luck.

it's hard enough when you're neurotypical, especially starting out: living with parents is awkward, on both sides. The only way is usually to team up in an apartment...something many landlords aren't thrilled about. And addresses tend to change a bit before some stability sets in. Now...try being neurodiverse: nobody wants to hire you, nobody wants to be around you...and being ND around NTs is never easy.

Now...consider employment for NDs or even Disability. Can't touch housing at those rates.

I think lots of people are completely out of touch with the reality that NDs like myself live with everyday...and have struggled with for years, decades. It's never easy for anyone...try being an ND.

That's all I'm gonna say. Replies with John Wayne/Joel Osteen rhetoric are neither helpful nor wanted.

Last edited:
Close this thread. If I manage to come up with enough money to find a state that works out, set up Articles of Incorporation in that state and possibly secure a loan, I'll ask the questions then; until then, there's no sense in further discussion.

BobbiSueEllen said:
Close this thread. If I manage to come up with enough money to find a state that works out, set up Articles of Incorporation in that state and possibly secure a loan, I'll ask the questions then; until then, there's no sense in further discussion.
I am quite intrigued and interested in this idea.

• Thinking
Reactions: mistykitty
BobbiSueEllen said:
@BobbiSueEllen For what it's worth I like this idea and feel it should be discussed. 😸 I know it's hard for some to grasp but sometimes the greatest successes come from a dream and a leap of faith toward something you deeply believe in. 🤗

Reactions: artemisenterri
artemisenterri said:
That link/site is basically almost all clickbait. At least every paragraph. If you go there, don't click on *anything*
And just for a test, I tried using the duckduckgo browser to read it and almost all the clickbait was gone.

Last edited:
BobbiSueEllen said:
It is an interesting idea, and discussion around it could be useful for some even if you are unable to find something suitable for it. up to you really if you want the thread closed but I don't think anything against the rules has been said here and I do think further discourse could be beneficial, for instance the points that Moo brought up about the benefits is something that would need to be considered, I don't know much about the 501 thing, might be an American term and known differently here or just something I never heard of, but a question that may be asked if going for a loan or incorporation like this would be what are the aims, how would it benefit the people, what securities/assurances are there etc.

BobbiSueEllen said:
I think keeping this thread open would be better, we could keep bouncing the idea around, streamlining it, revising it, etc...

Reactions: longallsboy, Belarin and mistykitty
Belarin said:
It is an interesting idea, and discussion around it could be useful for some even if you are unable to find something suitable for it. up to you really if you want the thread closed but I don't think anything against the rules has been said here and I do think further discourse could be beneficial, for instance the points that Moo brought up about the benefits is something that would need to be considered, I don't know much about the 501 thing, might be an American term and known differently here or just something I never heard of, but a question that may be asked if going for a loan or incorporation like this would be what are the aims, how would it benefit the people, what securities/assurances are there etc.
I think the 501 means that it has a set purpose and can't be used for anything beyond that

Reactions: Belarin
Moo said:
Some thoughts, in case they're helpful:

I'm not sure the benefits of doing this are sufficiently clear. Most people here either already have, or will have within a reasonable period of time, their own apartment/house where they can be themselves, live a "reasonable" distance from stores/services they use, etc. So... what are the unique, practical advantages of this commune? The ability to walk around the common areas in diapers and a t-shirt? Social opportunities with people similar to you? Simply securing cheap housing for the group via a combination of economies of scale and not-for-profit status? More detail might be needed.

How would you handle different people wanting different unit sizes? Someone who just graduated college might love a $550-for-one-room arrangement. Other people might want a 2 bedroom apartment. Others might want an entire house. How would you handle that? If you're going to go after one big building, its probably going to cost more than 200-300k. If it had some modularity, IE you could split/combine units easily, that might make it easier to be flexible with what people can rent while minimizing vacancies and wasted space.

Trying to pretend that the 501c3 is boarding/support for autistic individuals when in reality its for AB/DLs... I don't think its a good idea to misrepresent what the charity is for. I'm also skeptical that a charity is the best way to organize this. Charities take more work to set up and run than companies do.
@Moo has a great observation. In attempting to set up a 501c3 myself, for an Amateur Radio club (which provides a lot of public service) , I found that most of them are set up for educational or charitable purposes. I think it would be very difficult to meet the tests based on the strict legal requirements.

Belarin said:

I made the mistake of asking before anything got off the ground. I have two years to get funds, accomplish incorporation in a state of my research, look for qualifying loans...then ask who wants in. Until then, I am finished with this thread.

• Sad
  • Thinking
BobbiSueEllen said:
I made the mistake of asking before anything got off the ground. I have two years to get funds, accomplish incorporation in a state of my research, look for qualifying loans...then ask who wants in. Until then, I am finished with this thread.
I want to see this happen. I want to be part of it,

• Love
Reactions: mistykitty
artemisenterri said:
Let me preface by saying (and this will probably boggle a few minds in here) that I am a Christian conservative republican... (Stating that for reference, not to cause any flame wars... I'm a "do whatever you want in your bedroom, just don't shove it in my face" person.)

North Carolina has a republican-led legislature (since 2010, after breaking an almost 150-yr streak of democrat dominance) but a totally insane democrat governor...

South Carolina has a republican legislature and governor.

I have not seen any signs of "theocratic" dominance, and in fact have seen more of a push against the churches by the "accept us or else" activists...

The Carolinas do have the possibility for tornadoes, but on a much lower frequency than the flatlands further inland, due to the Carolinas being part of the Appalachian mountains. The potential for hurricanes exists, but only becomes really dangerous if you are closer to the coasts... My family has lived in the Carolinas since the end of '06, moved south across the NC/SC line at the end of '21. Worst we've ever gotten during hurricane season was heavy wind, rain, and partial flooding from regional rivers/creeks.

Oh my goodness, you are from Upstate South Carolina??!! I absolutely adore the Greenville / Spartanburg area. And you are right, Upstate South Carolina is quite conservative. I'm from the West Coast and can't stand it out here. I have Autism and ADHD too. As much as the liberal Democrats say they are "understanding of differences, diversity, and disability", I certainly haven't been the recipient of such understanding, that is for sure. I got bullied in school from 4th grade onwards. I got bullied even at state university when I lived in a college residence apartment dorm complex by other residents, just for being Autistic in itself. Probably 96% of the students in the complex thought I was intellectually disabled. If they thought I was truly intellectually disabled, that would be one thing. But they didn't do even do that - they called me the r word continuously. And of course, I got bullied because I have restricted interests and hobbies. I happen to collect different things from 45 rpm records to lapel pins to baseball caps from various cities (I have a bachelor degree in Geography) to street maps. But I also happen to collect vintage children's T strap shoes and Mary Janes from the 1970s to mid 1990s mostly. And also long-alls and jon jons (though I didn't start collecting that until 2004, long after I graduated from college, when I was introduced to that type of clothing by a mom from the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia). It doesn't take a particularly vivid imagination to think about what horrendous names I've been called. I was even thrown rocks at. I don't think even criminals get treated like that. Odd thing is that a lot of the bullies were totally on marijuana and drugs all the time and got drunk at parties. I never did that stuff. A lot of these people never even graduated from college because all they did was take marijuana. As bad as things are in my state sometimes, there's even worse. Oregon seems to be full of bullies, especially in the northern end of Oregon, around Portland and Astoria. Never met more bullies online ever, than in that area. Thank God I don't live there. A few of them who bully me from there even have higher functioning Autism, and they dislike me because I have Classic Autism and that I am emotionally and socially like a 4 1/2 year old. Actually, I've met nonautistic 4 year olds who have better social skills and more understanding of nonverbal facial cues than I do.
I've had very few jobs and I got terminated eventually from all of them. I'm nearly 100% positive even most of my ex-bosses would say I'm emotionally and socially like a 4 1/2 year old. And my friends (of all ages, Autistic or not), my relatives, my former elementary school to high school teachers, my old college instructors, my parents, my enemies, everyone.

In contrast to the West Coast, I always look forward to my trips that I take to South Carolina. I love South Carolina and talk about it to someone nearly every day. Been to Upstate 4 times. Been to Charleston twice, been to Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia twice. Visited Clemson University several times, and I have friends who are university professors there. Clemson is a fairly conservative university as opposed to colleges in Washington, Oregon, and California which tend to be very liberal. And the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is very liberal too. Clemson is more like Auburn University in Alabama. I have friends who live in some of the southern suburbs of Greenville. I feel like I'm back at home every time I visit South Carolina, particularly the Upstate area. I savor every minute of my visits to South Carolina. When I visit, I don't get called names because I have Autism. I don't get called names or get bullied because I like long-alls, jon jons, or T strap shoes. I don't get thrown rocks at in South Carolina, either. I have visited many children's clothing consignment stores in South Carolina, along with my parents or just my dad one time (my mom stayed home). People at clothing stores and shoe stores were always very kind and understanding of me in South Carolina. They went out of their way to help me find long-alls or jon jons in their stores. I want nothing to do with the West Coast anymore. It wasn't like this 45 years ago or even 30 years ago where I am from. As time went on, things got worse and worse. The crime rate got worse and worse, the taxes got higher and higher, the home prices got incredibly high and unaffordable. I can't wait to move to South Carolina to put this all behind me. Even in the West Coast, the few conservatives we have here are way more tolerant of me.

There are places actually even more Republican than South Carolina....for instance, Northern Alabama, like some Birmingham suburbs and even north of that, like towards Cullman and Decatur to Huntsville. The type of clothing I like is actually very common in the Deep South, especially Alabama, but also Tennessee, Georgia South Carolina, and some parts of North Carolina.

Take care

- longallsboy

• Wow
Reactions: artemisenterri
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back