IC & Sports - Ways to handle

caffelatte

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Dear IC-folks!
I wanted to ask with you how you deal with sports & incontinence? Jogging, cycling, or any other cardio exercises where you spend more than an hour.
Personally I love to run longer distances - something between 15-20km every few days. I have awful issues with chafing. I tried different creams for athletes, creams for babies... nothing works :(
Exercising without a diaper/pull-up is not an option - I've done that one time when it was raining... and that was the last time :)
Any ideas?

Reactions: Edgewater
Most important is a proper fit and keeping it snug to avoid chaffing.. compression shorts over a Abena x plus seemed to work for me when I was able to be more physically active...best of luck🤙

Raven801 said:
Most important is a proper fit and keeping it snug to avoid chaffing.. compression shorts over a Abena x plus seemed to work for me when I was able to be more physically active...best of luck🤙
Any work-out of even a sport (like tennis and golf), I'm always wearing compression shorts. If I'm just going to work or shopping I'll wear some fixation shorts. Everyday. But for sports I always use compression shorts.Typically I'd be wearing a good ointment. I've been using my compression shorts all the time for all sports (tennis is intense and moving all types of motion). I don't run but tennis is just like that. Try that. It works.

Reactions: Edgewater and DiaperDiva
This is something I have struggled with for years. During warmer months I will often hike upward of 10-12 miles (16-19 km) a day. Chaffing is a huge problem, especially when I go 3-4 hours without stopping.

Male guards have traditionally been my go-to for longer exercising sessions, and they work well enough if you only need a small amount of absorbency. None of the padding is directly between the legs so chaffing is minimized. Lotion is still needed unless you have super skinny thighs though and eventually needs to be reapplied.

More recently though I have had a lot of success wearing a thinner plastic diaper (tranquility ATN if you are on a budget, Tena plastic backed if you can afford it) and making sure to apply plenty of lotion to my thighs. I also bring extra lotion to reapply if there starts to be more chaffing midway through the hike. I just bend down and look like I am tying my shoes, and while no one is looking add lotion to my thighs under the shorts.

I am able to reapply mid-hike because I tend to go to areas with fewer people so no one is around to see me shoving my hand up my shorts. I live in Utah and there are some pretty incredible views if you know where to go. Depending on where you are, you might just need to break your session down into multiple <1-hour longs sessions. That way you can reapply lotion or change your protection discreetly.

Good luck.

patrick1776 said:
This is something I have struggled with for years. During warmer months I will often hike upward of 10-12 miles (16-19 km) a day. Chaffing is a huge problem, especially when I go 3-4 hours without stopping.

Male guards have traditionally been my go-to for longer exercising sessions, and they work well enough if you only need a small amount of absorbency. None of the padding is directly between the legs so chaffing is minimized. Lotion is still needed unless you have super skinny thighs though and eventually needs to be reapplied.

More recently though I have had a lot of success wearing a thinner plastic diaper (tranquility ATN if you are on a budget, Tena plastic backed if you can afford it) and making sure to apply plenty of lotion to my thighs. I also bring extra lotion to reapply if there starts to be more chaffing midway through the hike. I just bend down and look like I am tying my shoes, and while no one is looking add lotion to my thighs under the shorts.

I am able to reapply mid-hike because I tend to go to areas with fewer people so no one is around to see me shoving my hand up my shorts. I live in Utah and there are some pretty incredible views if you know where to go. Depending on where you are, you might just need to break your session down into multiple <1-hour longs sessions. That way you can reapply lotion or change your protection discreetly.

Good luck.
I used to hike all over the place out in st George LoL or capital reef or in the manti la sal mountains Utah has some amazing views to be sure unfortunately mobility has become an issue for me so no more hikes 🥺 still in Utah just gonna have to get another side by side to go out and enjoy the sights 🤙

Depending on your anatomy, maybe an external catheter?

I don’t think there’s a great solution for this problem. When I run I wear a thin pull up with compression shorts.

Before I was in diapers full time I found gobs of Vaseline stopped my chaffing. With diapers I found staying as dry as possible works better to avoid chaffing so now I use gobbs of powder.

UrgentWees said:
Depending on your anatomy, maybe an external catheter?
OP is a woman, so that wouldn't work.

You have to find what is comfortable for you and what clothing keeps everything discreet. Wearing too heavy of a product can impact how effective the activity you are trying to do is. I typically wear a pad and washable underwear for yoga/calisthenics/resistance training at home and with stress incontinence that is typically sufficient for the work out that lasts about 40 minutes. When I go to a gym any more I default to a pull-up and usually leggins with shorts over them. I do enjoy bicycling and for that I will go with either a pad or pull up depending on where and how far I am going.

Back