Ibs and diapers.... Just go or try to hold it through the pain and cramps?

Raven801

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I'm in diapers 24-7 for urinary ic which isn't all bad I suppose as I have had more issues with accidents due to my ibs I'm quite thankful actually. But I have noticed when my ibs acts up I have a very short time to get to a bathroom and sometimes hurrying to a bathroom that's a few minutes away can get really painful. And sometimes I can't hold it and sometimes I can. But I've noticed over time as I've gotten more comfortable with dealing with a messy diaper I'll choose to just go In stead of holding it through the cramps and pain. If it's not too public anyways.
It's made my IBS much easier deal with in some ways as accidents aren't a big deal
And to not suffer has been nice 🙂 sometimes I feel guilty and nasty for doing so but other times I'm fine with it.
Just curious if anyone else does the same I guess ☺️

• Sad
Reactions: shargalex, sport1 and Fleetwoodmac32192
Fortunately for me, my IBS induced diarrhea only happens occasionally and that is usually because I have been a bit slack in watching what I eat.

I never go without protection, as my system does not leave me with much choice, as it can sometimes play up with little or no warning.
Most times I make it to the toilet, whilst fighting the cramping pains. However, I still have the rare event when I can't hold it in at all and lose control completely.
The last time this happened, I was at home and only feet away from the bathroom. (Glad that the nappy held the mess and that, I was not out in public).
Today I am more or less, not stressed about the mess, I guess.

But size does matter - I'm far more comfortable with a little mess, than a big one.

Reactions: Raven801
Hi,

I am newer in the realm of bladder incontinence, (last 10 years give or take), but have dealt with ibs since i was 16 years old, now 48. I never managed it with diapers, though looking back would have been beneficial because 90 percent of the time i could make it. It was the 10 percent that made me think, "If only I was wearing a diaper". Now, these days im diapered 24/7 for the bladder issues, but am glad to have the security for the ibs issues.

As far as trying to hold it through the pain, depends on the situation and where I am at. Out and about I try to find a toilet asap. I have mastered pulling down the back of my diaper and sitting on the toilet in one fell swoop and just barely making it just as im sitting. If I do not make it, then I wrap up what I am doing and get home. The mess is far too much for me to clean in a public toilet.

If at home, if I just changed or have quite a bit of time before my next change, I try to make the toilet. However, if im already in need of changing or planning on taking a shower anyway, or as I am trying to get to the toilet, it starts leaking out, I will just let it go. But once I commit I have to change immediately.

These days, My window of being able to hold it has shrunk terribly, meaning I need a toilet asap. Ive had way more accidents than ever. Ibs is the worst. If they cannot figure out the bladder issues but can fix the ibs, that would be a win in my book. Urine is much easier to manage than liquid crap. But dont get me wrong, I hope they can fix both.

Somethings I do to avoid public accidents are: do not eat and drink only water if possible, until you are at the end of your errands or whatnots. If you go out to eat, ask to be seated nearest to the restrooms, make sure you have them scoped out, and at first gurgle and cramp head there and git er done. I will usually wait around after eating just to gauge things. My wife is very supportive, never rushes me to leave.

Thanks,

Joey

Reactions: Happy2BeInNappies2 and Raven801
I have no choice but to use my diaper. I don’t know I need to poop until I get a contraction. Once the contraction starts, the poop starts coming out within 5 seconds. Once it starts coming out, there is no stopping it so I just push to get it all out. The end result is always the same weather I try to hold it in or not. I always end up with a big mess in my diaper.

• Sad
Reactions: shargalex, Happy2BeInNappies2 and Raven801
Raven801 said:
I'm in diapers 24-7 for urinary ic which isn't all bad I suppose as I have had more issues with accidents due to my ibs I'm quite thankful actually. But I have noticed when my ibs acts up I have a very short time to get to a bathroom and sometimes hurrying to a bathroom that's a few minutes away can get really painful. And sometimes I can't hold it and sometimes I can. But I've noticed over time as I've gotten more comfortable with dealing with a messy diaper I'll choose to just go In stead of holding it through the cramps and pain. If it's not too public anyways.
It's made my IBS much easier deal with in some ways as accidents aren't a big deal
And to not suffer has been nice 🙂 sometimes I feel guilty and nasty for doing so but other times I'm fine with it.
Just curious if anyone else does the same I guess ☺️
I also have both urine and bowel accidents. I can sometimes make it but is a race also have autism +dd which is my wife helps me with.

Reactions: Happy2BeInNappies2 and Raven801
Back