i just had a thought

BLtheDL

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
We all have seen the commercials about bigger, thicker toilet paper. They are common, and well played on tv, and internet adds. What if diaper companies, let’s start with anything other than depends, and tena pads, started promoting their products on a highly viewed media platform. I’m not talking about exposure to inncontinance, or abdl. But exposure to the the products available on the market. Products that are readily seen on public media don’t bat an eye in the general public, and are mostly/completely expectable. Maybe if companies like NorthShore Care, Abena, Dry Care 24/7, Betterdry, Molicare, etc, advertised on a broader more viewable platform, maybe it would help lift the stigma of adults wearing diapers. Be it for need, or pleasure. It’s just a thought I had, chime in, let me know what you think

Reactions: icklespace and dlboylife
Going to alter the angle a bit here. Businesses are generally interested in using money in the most efficient manner. If it were financially beneficial, why aren't they already doing it?

The typical answer is because it's not. It would probably take a massively expensive campaign to shift public opinion and that money can be better spent on samples, outreach to doctors, hospitals, and customers most likely to need their product. It converts that spending into actual sales. I just don't think there's a financial incentive to normalize product use.

Could be wrong though. Only way to find out is to throw money at it and see what happens, and it doesn't look like current companies are willing.

Reactions: Deleted member 47221, Peesalot, WillFord384 and 1 other person
Thinking - Oh o.k., I thought something was burning. 🤣
Seriously though - actually logically you are probably right - but it's also not likely to happen because of the cost of doing it, and the fact they are not likely to many if any new customers that way.
However - actually anyone with a YouTube account (NOT me) could help in that matter - don't know the legalities involved or anything like that, but if you were to make a video that other than ABDLs would be interested in (tech info, entertainment, crafts, ex.), and kind of display the product in the background...
Not as good as actually ads, but a step...

Reactions: DiaperDiva and sdweasel
sdweasel said:
Businesses are generally interested in using money in the most efficient manner. If it were financially beneficial, why aren't they already doing it?
It would probably take a massively expensive campaign to shift public opinion and that money can be better spent on samples, outreach to doctors, hospitals, and customers most likely to need their product. It converts that spending into actual sales. I just don't think there's a financial incentive to normalize product use.
I would agree 100% with the above. The "diaper wearing for fun" folks make up an extremely small percentage of people as well as a small percentage of diaper wearers. While I see Depends, Tena, & Poise commercials on TV, there really are very few other brands I recall being advertised. Those who need to wear are a captive audience so there's little value in advertising excessively to them. They will search out the brands they individually find most comfortable and perform the best for their own needs. And, just reading many of the threads here on ADISC, it seems obvious those of us who wear for fun will do our own research to find what each of us likes most.

Peesalot said:
While I see Depends, Tena, & Poise commercials on TV, there really are very few other brands I recall being advertised.
And there are not really many of those - and obviously those with ic issues are the target.
I have seen a few others Online - but even there - not many at all, and on sites that other wise attract ic/ab/dl.

BLtheDL said:
We all have seen the commercials about bigger, thicker toilet paper. They are common, and well played on tv, and internet adds. What if diaper companies, let’s start with anything other than depends, and tena pads, started promoting their products on a highly viewed media platform. I’m not talking about exposure to inncontinance, or abdl. But exposure to the the products available on the market. Products that are readily seen on public media don’t bat an eye in the general public, and are mostly/completely expectable. Maybe if companies like NorthShore Care, Abena, Dry Care 24/7, Betterdry, Molicare, etc, advertised on a broader more viewable platform, maybe it would help lift the stigma of adults wearing diapers. Be it for need, or pleasure. It’s just a thought I had, chime in, let me know what you think

All those other companies serve a very niche market and having a public advertising campaign wouldn't really work out. They don't sell at brick and mortar stores, so it's kinda pointless for them to engage in open competition with those huge companies that do.

quartz200420012 said:
They don't sell at brick and mortar stores...
You would be surprised at how many incontinence/medical supply stores you would find those brands in. Things are changing because people want better products than your average store brands or KC's rubbish. I happened across a store in Salt Lake City, Utah that was not only selling the brands stated but Rearz, Dry 24/7 and I'm pretty sure I saw Betterdry/Crinkles. I had a conversation with the sales lady and she said people were asking for better, more absorbent products so they did the research and decided to start stocking them after more and more people started ordering them. She also said the printed diapers were about as popular as the plain ones. I think people are starting to wake up and not worry so much about being discrete with incontinence. Now they seem to be looking for products they can leave the house in without worrying about leaks or having to change so often.
Peesalot said:
The "diaper wearing for fun" folks make up an extremely small percentage of people as well as a small percentage of diaper wearers.
If this were true then there wouldn't be enough demand for printed diapers to make it a viable business. DPF would have tanked and no other printed diapers would be available today. Now we have five major brands of printed diapers that are fairly successful and even a few China direct companies popping up and jumping on board the bandwagon.

I think the OP might be on to something. The stigma of older kids and adults wearing diapers is slowly diminishing. Society is even starting to understand us a bit more. If more of these brands were advertised not only could it help erase more of the stigma but could also drive changes in products for the better.

Last edited:
Joediaper said:
If this were true then there wouldn't be enough demand for printed diapers to make it a viable business. DPF would have tanked and no other printed diapers would be available today. Now we have five major brands of printed diapers that are fairly successful and even a few China direct companies popping up and jumping on board the bandwagon.
I suspect our disagreement on this point is simply a matter of what each of us consider "an extremely small percentage." I didn't mean to imply in the range of 1/2 of 1 percent (although it could be that low or lower). But, I also suspect the percentage of people wearing print diapers is likely under 5% of the general population. Yes, that's simply guesswork. But, I also believe if it were 25% we'd see a lot of advertising.

Consider in the U.S. a population of roughly 330,000,000. Five percent of that is 16,500,000. I would think that is a large enough consumer base to make the product profitable but maybe not large enough to spend advertising dollars on. Obviously, the manufacturers do know. (y)

Reactions: Joediaper and nwm
Brands like Depends, Tena, Poise, and others that do advertise extensively have helped alter the public attitude towards IC that I’ve seen over the past half century. There are also ads for companies that will supply higher quality products discreetly, especially to those on Medicare. The medical profession has also made inroads when dealing with the public attitude towards IC in that period as well. There’s still in major difference in how society views those that need diapers compared with those that don’t require them but desire to wear them. As the mental health community continues to explain that there’s no connection between AB, DL, and ABDL’s and pedophilia, and that it’s a harmless activity, societal views of those that prefer to wear diapers will continue to soften. As you get older you will learn that opinions are changing, just not as fast as you currently desire. Be thankful that you have these feelings now and weren’t around in the pre internet days when sites like ADISC, and those providing AB, DL, and ABDL products online, weren’t around to help you realize that you’re not the only one with these desires.

It would be interesting to see how a company would advertise a more absorbent but less discreet tape on diaper. All the ads I've seen were pushing for being discreet.

ORBaby said:
It would be interesting to see how a company would advertise a more absorbent but less discreet tape on diaper. All the ads I've seen were pushing for being discreet.
Sort of here too.
BUT the thing is discreet is all that they seem to push -
Personally - if you are trying to get my business, for a diaper - I am MUCH more concerned about comfort and how well it actually works than anything else. Figuring I know the right clothing basically hides it anyway - even without it, people are too interested in what they are doing to take much notice anyway - and a REALLY small amount even care IF they do notice - and that's NOW, if seen more (as far as ads, ex.) I am positive even fewer would care. (Well that and more general info known to most).

Reactions: Joediaper
I'd say that it's too complex a product array to market in mass-media.
Think about how long it takes 'us' to find a suitable and budget-friendly disposable.
Even Heinz, with it's vast product line, only usually advertises it's 'traditional', established products; more selling the brand than the individual products.

As for the bog-roll thing, never known it.

Reactions: Joediaper
Back