How were you less developed and more babyish than other kids?

I liked documentaries and science books as a kid. I also liked cartoons and professional wrestling. I still like scientific articles online. And cartoons.

Ali123 said:
My mother used to punish me when I was naughty by dressing me younger than I really was.

Mostly that was just in the house, but not always.

Little things like being made to sit in the back seat of the car while my younger sister sat in the front really had an impact on me.
My mother kept me young because it made her feel young. The outfit she chose for me were both girlish and infantile. Because I felt young I acted young and people reacted to me as if I were a much younger child. This continued through my teens and I was under the supervision of a nurse maid, who was the same age as I, but had complete authority over me. When she got a regular job, her sister who was three years younger than I took over for her.

Reactions: Blekyss and Lyric
I know that when I started school, I had problems with putting my uniform on. Wasn't for very long though. Also, it took me until my teens to learn how to tie my shoelaces. Other than that, I was mostly the same as other kids, minus the fact I was a complete loner a lot of the time and being autistic.

Last edited:
pacifierPaige said:
I liked documentaries and science books as a kid. I also liked cartoons and professional wrestling. I still like scientific articles online. And cartoons.
That was me 60 years ago in real life.
It still is.

Reactions: Visitor2Earth and PaigeCherubiel
I was kind of a "slow learner" as a kid, probably either undiagnosed primarily innatentive ADD or slow cognitive tempo. I know I still have working memory challenges to this day and would say I'm a slow thinker.

it was much worse as a kid (even my iq tested as lower) until my brain mysteriously underwent some sort of transition around 11 and I mostly caught up with others.

I was also totally a crybaby and overly anxious/shy. I cried on most school tests and other minor things until at least the middle or end of fifth grade. It's a miracle I wasn't really bullied at all throughout my childhood. Maybe it's because I was a tattletale, big enough to make the other kids slightly afraid of if I snapped, and likely no fun because I couldn't really feel peer pressure or social anxiety until I was at least around 12 or 13.

Also my parents were both the doting and overprotective type (not that I'm complaining, they did a great job and I had a very happy childhood), which led to typically being treated at least a few years younger than my age for most of my childhood. But there was no diaper/baby stuff. I was out of diapers and baby stuff at a normal age.

As a kid I loved comic books and cartoons and I still do. When my daughter came home from school, we would watch cartoons together. It was a nice bonding moment. Every morning I wake up to Cocomellon which is so much nicer than waking up to The Today Show which I used to do.

LittleAndAlone said:
Opposite. Was always way too mature and serious and several grade levels above. I think I didn't know how to be a kid the first time and it's why I get to be little now. 🤣
Bit of this, bit of being bad at the bathroom at a young age.

Reactions: DinoFrant
Not quite sure. I did learn to read, tie my shoes, and swim later in life than other people my age. Reading was maybe 8 yrs. old, tying shoes was 12 yrs. old, and swimming was almost 16 yrs. old.

Reactions: Halibut
I struggled with a lot of sensory issues at a young age from being on the autism spectrum. Having some trouble with color identification, speech, hypersensitivity to scoreboard buzzers in gym, and echolalia (repeating words) really put me aside from the rest of my peers, though with time and therapy I did see improvement. No issues with potty training, but I did sleep with a childhood blanket well into my early teens. Fantasizing on wearing diapers was a recurring dream that stuck with me till my college years when I bought my first pack of Bambino Classicos. The rest is history.

Reactions: perlFerret and skylanderpamp
I had messy 'accidents' all through elementary school at recess. I was potty trained i think, but while playing i guess sometimes id habitually think i gotta go in my pants. Id go to a nice quiet area of the playground like under the slides, do my business, then sheepishly walk up to the supervising teacher n say i had an accident.

Reactions: wetaccident
dogboy said:
I was an adopted only child so my mom was somewhat over protective. When I started kindergarten, I was bullied by a gang of kids in my class. I was the second smallest kid in my class as well. Eventually I found a way to fit in. I've always been somewhat immature for my age and I suppose that showed at school.

I didn't know kindergartners could be that mean. Most preschoolers and kindergartners have been extremely tolerant of me and kind to me no matter how old I have been. They were more understanding of my Autism than any other age group. I have Autism and I don't remember kids being that mean to me till maybe 4th or rather 5th grade. 5th graders can be mean, very mean. The worst are probably high school kids in 11th grade and 12th grade, and as sad as it is to say, my worst experiences regarding bullying were in state university in a college dorm residence apartment. I got physically abused too. I really do not like 20-30 year olds. I have a soft heart for preschoolers or toddlers because they were always accepting of me. Actually the time around I was 3 years old was the best part of my life. I'd love to go back to that period of my life. I hated school actually, except preschool. Teachers complained about me from kindergarten to college - because I have Autism and ADHD and people didn't know what that was back then. All Hell broke loose after kindergarten.

- longallsboy

Reactions: dogboy
I would say I was very babyish all throughout my life. I had a lot of trouble speaking up until I was 10 years old and I needed a lot of speech therapy as well as occupational therapy to help with my autism sensory issues. I didn’t dress myself until my early teens and I also wore diapers at night at age 16.

I was very far behind as I needed help washing my hair In the shower up until I was 21 years old. My parents always treated much younger than my age and they spoke to me in a childish tone, most likely because I would watch baby shows on tv at the age of 14 that were meant for kids ages 3-4 years old. My mom and dad both helped me with self care way past the normal age so that’s probably why they treated me that way.

LIDiaperBoy said:
I would say I was very babyish all throughout my life. I had a lot of trouble speaking up until I was 10 years old and I needed a lot of speech therapy as well as occupational therapy to help with my autism sensory issues. I didn’t dress myself until my early teens and I also wore diapers at night at age 16.

I was very far behind as I needed help washing my hair In the shower up until I was 21 years old. My parents always treated much younger than my age and they spoke to me in a childish tone, most likely because I would watch baby shows on tv at the age of 14 that were meant for kids ages 3-4 years old. My mom and dad both helped me with self care way past the normal age so that’s probably why they treated me that way.
My mom had to wash my hair when I was 10-12 yrs. old because I had trouble washing it.

Reactions: Blekyss and LIDiaperBoy
this post kind of pulls together a few other posts i shared this in... bedwetting till i was 7 and having to wear a diaper every night was one thing, but having a younger brother who was the baby and sharing a room with him... I certainly felt pulled down to his age many times. My mom didn't really change things or stop habits for me if my brother was doing it... so being 6 and 7 but treated like your 3 or 4. My brother and I shared a room and so that probably didn't help either, to have a space that was more age appropriate for a 6/7 year old. So some of the things i remember going into first grade, so like 5 yrs old till 7 years old... that certainly imparted a sense of regression to a younger age was;...I was still wearing pampers diapers...my mom was buying them for my brother and me still wetting the bed and the larger sizes still fit me she just carried on.... I was often changed on the change table in our room, I still had a pacifier and sucked my thumb, when we travelled i was often changed into a diaper like my brother...i had onesies and snap clothes and footed sleepers.. i still had baths with my brother (7 and 4)....

I'm no psychologist but i'm guessing some of this stuff definitely imparts a bit of AB/Little on me today in finding comfort...

• Love
Reactions: skylanderpamp, Blekyss and SacredHourglass
A little of both. I was kinda mature but I always had my little side. I also had to have speech therapy and help with my handwriting. I also had austism which did not help matters.

I was small on first or second grade I was 43 pounds being I had trouble feeling when I had to go . I had accidents in school one time my dad came to spank me in principal office. I did not wet the bed so that part worked ok .
I had a hi squirrel voice.
Was very abused in school.
Some of it was I only weighted 3 pounds at birth being 2 months early. Most of us did not live then they didn't have the drugs to help a baby that small. So somethings were not developed at that time
Sick childhood the did not breast feed a lot of babies were bottle fed.
So no immunity from mom
They didn't know how important it was. liked playing with younger kids.
It was easier. Was in special Ed still can't write well dexlisic can't get it out of my head on to paper but read college level in fifth grade.
I'm still a kid today will always be.

• Sad
Reactions: longallsboy
I was always behind in everything you can think of, especially education. I always remember my mum said that I was late at potty training. Apparently I was very bad with the numbers 2. According to her I used to go into a corner and poo my pants cause I wouldn't go to the toilet. I was always a small kid till I got to my mid teens so I was always treated like I was younger than I was.

Ali123 said:
Did you enjoy your mother babying you?
Yes I did. I know the way she changed my diapers when I was a teenager, got me up for school in the mornings, took my wet diapers off, washed me and picked out my clothes to wear made me feel both loved and dependent on her. I also grew to like when she made me wear diapers and rubber pants on longer car rides, even when I was in high school, or when she took us to see a movie.

• Love
Reactions: Blekyss, SacredHourglass and Ali123
The big thing was they didn't do anything about dexlicia when I was in school or ADHD anything like that.
It was in the 60s

foxkits said:
The big thing was they didn't do anything about dexlicia when I was in school or ADHD anything like that.
It was in the 60s

They didn't even know what Autism was in the 1980s. I was just thought to be a disobedient child who intentionally didn't pay attention, and got punished. I was actually diagnosed as having ADHD in 1990 when I was 13 or 14, but Autism not till years later. And there were plenty of symptoms of Autism I had all the way back to toddlerhood virtually around 1979-1980, and certainly in elementary school or middle school. All hell broke loose after I went to kindergarten, basically. Ironically, I never had any teachers complain about me or my behavior in preschool. But, expectations are different for a 3 year old and a 6 year old. Behavior that might pass for what might be considered a well behaved 3 year old might be a troublesome 6 year old.

I wish I never left preschool. My mom's personality changed because I kept getting sent home repeatedly from first to third grade, not for the better. She went from being kind and patient to being angry and shouting at me. I wonder what would have happened if I just stayed in preschool.

I hate to say this, but when I was 2-4 years old were the happiest days of my life. I'm now in my mid late 40s and I still say that. When I wasn't getting in trouble with my teachers, I was being bullied nonstop from 4th grade onwards except for when I was in 11th and 12th grade when I was loved. The worst time as far as bullying goes was living in a residence apartment complex in state university. Horrible, horrible, horrible. You would have thought 20-24 year olds would be better than that. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I have gotten bullied online by Oregonians all the time. I really hate Oregon. I don't even like the West Coast much. I want to move my carcass to the Carolinas or somewhere else in the Deep South.

I was so happy when I was 3 years old. I didn't think my life could get worse and worse. I don't have hardly any adult rights, but I don't have child rights either. I can't even drive a Power Wheels car as I'm too big, but can't really drive a real car either past 20 minutes because of my ADHD. With the severity of my Autism, being a proportional pituitary dwarf that looked like a 4 year old would have been a solace. And much better than being 6 feet tall almost. If I ever go to Heaven, I hope God turns me into a 4 year old.

- longallsboy

Last edited:
Back