How many bowlers do we have?

The wife currently is mad at me because she told me that I'm not allowed to buy a new ball. So I bought a used one with only 5 games on it. Lol
After get plugged and drilled. It only cost me $60 for the ball and another $12 for plug and drilling. Would of cost me 2 or 3 times as much for new.

• Haha
Reactions: Diaperman95
dogboy said:
Getting a ball right is challenging. It's funny how one day it feels great and you play well. On another day, everything seems wrong. I've talked about this with my grief counselor but as a musician. There are some days I play like a great concert pianist but then there are all the other days where everything needs more work. It's just how the human body and mind works.
I cant keep rhythm to save my soul. Nor could I ever put the time in to learn a instrument. I tried to learn drums and then saxophone in 8th grade band. Could not do either. Then my dad tried pushing a guitar on me and I really did want to learn that but he jest give me it and a book and said figure it out. This was long before the time the internet let alone youtube. I guess because he taught himself in the 60's it meant I would do the same. Lol But lets be real if you do not have the passion for something you will never be any good at it.

I bowled years ago and only had one or two balls. I had several good games in my day but could never hold a high average or be consistent. I been back into it about a year. Buying and building a 9 ball arsenals is one thing that really helped take my game to the next level. Lane conditions are always changing, even if it is the same pattern every week. Who you bowl the type of ball they use how they throw and the weather all dictates how your ball reacts to the lane. Some times you need a strong ball with lots of snap some times you need a weaker ball with gentle smooth arc. Matching the ball to the the lane and your revs and ball speed is huge. First game to night I bowling Okay but just not getting a consistent carry and I left two splits. I changed balls next game went from a 178 to a 224. The end of game two I was starting to loose the reaction that I wanted as the lanes dried up. I stayed in that ball for 5 frames and struggled through them but should of changed sooner. I went to even weaker MCP ball from Motiv that plays more like a urethane on the backend but it still soaks oil and digs in the front like a reactive but has a much smaller core. I struck out and salvaged the game for a 224. Had I changed sooner I might have had a higher game over 250. I really took the time to understand the game and learn how to read the lanes and figure out what ball matches my rev rate and the lanes I am on. You tube has been a huge huge help. But building the perfect 9 ball arsenals is what has made all the difference. I am always trying to find the ball that gives me the most miss room. Getting in a ball that will and grab and hook harder if you miss right and get in the dry and slide longer if you pull it left and it gets in more oil. One ball you might have to be right on the 15 board miss right or left and no strike but another ball you can hit from the 16 to the 14 and still strike. I am always looking find the ball that gives the most miss room on the placement on the lane. It really decreases they chance of a off day. But it is still a game of consistency and some times I am just not in time or not hitting my mark. Then no ball is going to fix it. Much like a instrument I am sure. If you are out of rhythm you are not going to play no master piece.

I know I am a bowling nerd. I have a serious addiction. I have no clue what I have spent on equipment and practicing year and really do not want to know. But a year ago I had one ball, They cost a little over couple hundred each by the time you drill them and do inserts. My only saving grace that keeps me out of the dog house is my wife loves the game almost as much me. That and our hand size is near exact so she can use all of my balls. Lol

I never thought about having different balls to accommodate lane conditions. You're absolutely right. I can remember going to the lanes and finding out they had just been waxed, and yes, I had to compensate for that. I'm glad I'm in music...haha. It has its own difficulties. I used to tour and playing different pipe organs in different churches was challenging. Even though there is the AGO standard for organ console construction, there are always differences in how things are spaced from one organ company to another.

We would take our church high school on tour every spring break, 5 days and 5 churches with the churches housing us. There was one church in Berea, Kentucky where I was told that the squirrels had built a nest in the organ console. As I was playing and accompanying the choir, I could hear acorns rolling around in the inside of the console. Perhaps the squirrels were also in the console. As the acorns rolled, they'd roll on various electrical contacts and I'd lose the note the contact addressed. The notes changed all through the concert because the acorns kept rolling around. It was very weird.

dogboy said:
I never thought about having different balls to accommodate lane conditions. You're absolutely right. I can remember going to the lanes and finding out they had just been waxed, and yes, I had to compensate for that. I'm glad I'm in music...haha. It has its own difficulties. I used to tour and playing different pipe organs in different churches was challenging. Even though there is the AGO standard for organ console construction, there are always differences in how things are spaced from one organ company to another.

We would take our church high school on tour every spring break, 5 days and 5 churches with the churches housing us. There was one church in Berea, Kentucky where I was told that the squirrels had built a nest in the organ console. As I was playing and accompanying the choir, I could hear acorns rolling around in the inside of the console. Perhaps the squirrels were also in the console. As the acorns rolled, they'd roll on various electrical contacts and I'd lose the note the contact addressed. The notes changed all through the concert because the acorns kept rolling around. It was very weird.
That is one factor I would never consider in one of those old organs. Damn squirrels are some destructive bastards no matter where they are. 😂🤣 Everyone thinks they are so cute. I see a rat with a fluffy tail!! 😆😆 I have not been around any of them big pipe organs being from a small town, but am amazed by the engineering of them as well as the sound. I seen a documentary on the Midmer-Losh organ. I could imagine it would be on your bucket list of places to play.

Bowling is a lot harder and more technical of a game than most people consider. One the oldest game in the world. They found a ball an pins in a Egyptian grave dating back over 5000 BC. It is 10 billion dollar industry expected to grow by 2.5 billion in 2022. It is played around the world and yet it has never been a Olympic sport. I mean badminton has been an Olympic sport. But nope not us bowlers.... We are just a bunch of fat beer drinkers that could not play any other sport in the eyes of most people. 😆 If anyone has ever tried it they should know better.

Diaperman95 said:
That is one factor I would never consider in one of those old organs. Damn squirrels are some destructive bastards no matter where they are. 😂🤣 Everyone thinks they are so cute. I see a rat with a fluffy tail!! 😆😆 I have not been around any of them big pipe organs being from a small town, but am amazed by the engineering of them as well as the sound. I seen a documentary on the Midmer-Losh organ. I could imagine it would be on your bucket list of places to play.

Bowling is a lot harder and more technical of a game than most people consider. One the oldest game in the world. They found a ball an pins in a Egyptian grave dating back over 5000 BC. It is 10 billion dollar industry expected to grow by 2.5 billion in 2022. It is played around the world and yet it has never been a Olympic sport. I mean badminton has been an Olympic sport. But nope not us bowlers.... We are just a bunch of fat beer drinkers that could not play any other sport in the eyes of most people. 😆 If anyone has ever tried it they should know better.
I didn't know bowling dated back to the ancient Egyptians. That's quite interesting. In the same line of history, they found a very primitive organ in the ruins of Pompey. They actually used running water to supply the air so they were called hydralus. As organists, we used to go on "organ crawls" which was going into the pipe organ chambers to see the pipes, how they were arranged and grouped on the air chests. You find yourself climbing up wooden ladders to see the pipes which are higher up in the organ chamber.

In a novel I wrote several years ago, I had one of my characters trapped in a haunted organ chamber and of course the organ began to play which can be deafening if you're in the wooden chamber.

dogboy said:
I didn't know bowling dated back to the ancient Egyptians. That's quite interesting. In the same line of history, they found a very primitive organ in the ruins of Pompey. They actually used running water to supply the air so they were called hydralus. As organists, we used to go on "organ crawls" which was going into the pipe organ chambers to see the pipes, how they were arranged and grouped on the air chests. You find yourself climbing up wooden ladders to see the pipes which are higher up in the organ chamber.

In a novel I wrote several years ago, I had one of my characters trapped in a haunted organ chamber and of course the organ began to play which can be deafening if you're in the wooden chamber.
Freaking Egyptians was smart. They have found skulls of people that had evidence of brain surgery. Not like they was experimenting on the dead but they could tell it was wounds that had healed. They was so far ahead of the rest of the world.

I think it was the Germans that really was the birthplace of bowling. But it started out as a religious ritual using a stone ball in the 3rd century AD. It was a way to cleanse your sins. So it is a holly thing good for the soul. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: dogboy
I think you're right. I always felt good after bowling even if I bowled poorly. I enjoyed it as a sport and as a physical activity. It's fun to watch the other bowlers as well.

• Love
littlefun said:
The wife currently is mad at me because she told me that I'm not allowed to buy a new ball. So I bought a used one with only 5 games on it. Lol
After get plugged and drilled. It only cost me $60 for the ball and another $12 for plug and drilling. Would of cost me 2 or 3 times as much for new.
Hell man I am sorry I missed you the other day. I did not even see your post for some reason. Nothing wrong with a plugged unless you are on the PBA. They did pass a new rule this year that only new single drill balls was allowed. You cant even plug one to move the thumb over a 1/4 of a inch. It is a stupid rule but as long as the USBC does not adopt it we are okay. Nothing wrong with plugged balls though as long as they do not rollover the plug. Even then it does not effect it a hole lot but it can. I have 4 balls that I purchased used or traded balls for and I did the same thing. Our pro shop charges 15 bucks to plug one. So if you pay 50 you are in it at 65 when all said and done before drilling. Some of theses balls can cost 200 or more so that is a big savings. I turned down a storm Nova wed night that had 12 games on it for 50 bucks. One I really did not need it but mostly I am broke because Adam at NorthShore gets all my money. 🤣 If not him the bowling alley for sure. The 724 the other night was on a used Motiv Blue tank. I love that ball too.

You can get some real good deals like that. In fact the blue tank was given to me. Then I did some welding on a stainless pin plow for my bowling center and got it and zen drilled in trade for the work. Then my zen I purchased used too.

Reactions: ShAd0w10 and littlefun
Just recently came back after almost a decade long break. Used to bowl with my friend before we had a falling out. Used to bowl once or twice a week. Was a 2 hander then, it was fun to get like 600 rpm. I got so much crap for it. Back then it was new, many people hated it, it was misunderstood, people called it childish, easy mode, borderline cheating. Recently came back because I was bored and depressed because a couple of my close friends moved away and wanted something to do. Jason Belmonte cult must be going strong because I saw literally everyone is 2 handed now. It's funny how my brain works because I was instantly turned off of it lmao. Started practicing one handed because it seemed like more of a challenge and fun. I was surprised it only took a few nights and a few hours of watching youtube tutorials to up rev rate and get high 400~low 500 it's not the 600 with 2 handed but I prefer the higher ball speed going slightly straighter. Consistency is off but only been back a month. Getting around 140 to 150 high games of 200+. I probably won't join a leauge but it will probably be a weekly thing. Also Zen ball good. ☯️

• Love
Reactions: Diaperman95 and littlefun
ShAd0w10 said:
Just recently came back after almost a decade long break. Used to bowl with my friend before we had a falling out. Used to bowl once or twice a week. Was a 2 hander then, it was fun to get like 600 rpm. I got so much crap for it. Back then it was new, many people hated it, it was misunderstood, people called it childish, easy mode, borderline cheating. Recently came back because I was bored and depressed because a couple of my close friends moved away and wanted something to do. Jason Belmonte cult must be going strong because I saw literally everyone is 2 handed now. It's funny how my brain works because I was instantly turned off of it lmao. Started practicing one handed because it seemed like more of a challenge and fun. I was surprised it only took a few nights and a few hours of watching youtube tutorials to up rev rate and get high 400~low 500 it's not the 600 with 2 handed but I prefer the higher ball speed going slightly straighter. Consistency is off but only been back a month. Getting around 140 to 150 high games of 200+. I probably won't join a leauge but it will probably be a weekly thing. Also Zen ball good. ☯️
Awesome and welcome back. I love this silly game. Jason Belmonte really changed the game. It is funny how winning about 30 major title events will change peoples perspective. If a granny style bowler did that you would have people in bowling centers everywhere bowling granny style. LOL I have his gold spare ball. The belmo ball. It is a bit over priced for a spare ball but it looks cool as hell. It is what he is throwing this year t his spares. He has had several balls with his name on them. Most of them are reactive balls but all storm. He is defiantly the one to beat now. I bowled against a left handed two hander tonight. He is pretty damn good too. He Normally kicks my ass. But not tonight. LOL I bowl with a lot of great bowlers for a little 12 lane house. One of the guys had a 795 series with a 300 as his middle game . Lots of 600's I had a 682 series to night. It should of been a 700 but I just went to shit the last game and rolled 170 something. 240s and 250s the first 2 games.

But keep watching those youtube videos. I learned more this year on youtube that I did the entire 25 years before. watch the following
JR Raymond
The art of Bowling. very good for the proper mechanics of bowling..
Luis naples
Ronald Hickland jr
house of bowling
brad and kyle

Focus on the release and the foot work because bowling is about consistency. Then watch videos on lane conditions and house shot patterns so you learn to read the lane and know how to adjust and when to change balls. Then if you are serious and want to get better watch some videos on how to build a arsenal. This is the expensive part. You really need a minimum of 3 reactive balls and a spare ball if you want to be a 200 plus or better bowler. Lanes change and you need strong, medium and weak ball to combat. Lots of people like to make fun of use with 3 or ore balls. But none of them are going to carry more than a 200 average. If you do not have a finger tip reactive ball that is the very first thing you need. A house ball will never give a consistent score. PM me or hit me back here if you ever need help on your game. Or deciding what ball to get.

Attachments

• 1665027835293.png
    1665027835293.png
    5 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: dogboy
Yeah it really seems to be popular now because of him. I'll always have 2 handed in my back pocket if my thumb ever dies of death, but I'm happy right now with the classic one handed style.

I have a few decent balls of varying levels, Brunswick Rhyno 🦏, Zen ☯️, UFO Alert 🛸, and Proton Physics ⚛. And yeah The Belmo balls are good I hear. Right now I'm currently eyeing that Black Widow Viz A Ball spare with that asymmetric core for spooky season. 🕷🕸 I like the idea of a spare ball that could hook on super dry lanes.

Also I watch literally all those YouTubers and a bunch more lmao

BRB switching to 3 handed
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ShAd0w10 said:
Yeah it really seems to be popular now because of him. I'll always have 2 handed in my back pocket if my thumb ever dies of death, but I'm happy right now with the classic one handed style.

I have a few decent balls of varying levels, Brunswick Rhyno 🦏, Zen ☯️, UFO Alert 🛸, and Proton Physics ⚛. And yeah The Belmo balls are good I hear. Right now I'm currently eyeing that Black Widow Viz A Ball spare with that asymmetric core for spooky season. 🕷🕸 I like the idea of a spare ball that could hook on super dry lanes.

Also I watch literally all those YouTubers and a bunch more lmao
Yeah that hammer gasmask core is a beast. I know it would move a few boards even in a plastic cover. If you have not messed with motiv balls yet you really should. I am getting to where I mostly only throw them. That Jackal ghost is a beast. OMG such a good ball. I have the new blue tank too. It is not reactive but not urethane. Micro cell polymer of MCP cover stock. It is technically a plastic but it is full of microscopic holes that let it soak in some oil. It plays a lot like a urethane on the backend. but it will start to pick up a bit earlier i the oil like a reactive. Smooth does not describe. It has a medium size core symmetric 2.59 RG differential .023 Great for medium to moderate oil. Has a lot more hook than one would expect for the size core and cover stock.
The ghost is what my 300 games was with. I also have the motiv ripcord flight I love it too. Had a 298 with it. But it is not made any more. Those 3 at the moment are go to balls. You could not force me to give up that ghost. 🤣

I have had some good brunswick balls in the past. I have a couple hammers I have a global 900 Zen a Roto grip ball, I think I drilled 12 in the last year 😮 I am glad my wife likes bowling too..😂 That proton physics is a great ball from what I hear and see. I have a few fiends with the new new Infinite Physix

Reactions: ShAd0w10
I
ShAd0w10 said:
BRB switching to 3 handed
have not seen that one but I have seen some of his videos.

My biggest problem I have bowling at the moment is my left hip is trashed. well to be honest both of them are but the left is way worse. I can not always stay up on that leg and have to shift weight to my right leg. Often times before the ball has cleared my hand. I am getting the first one replaced Nov 18th. We will see how it goes. I am hopping it will be better but I pray it will not ne worse

Reactions: ShAd0w10
I used to bowl in a kids league. It's been a while. There's been many spread out occasions since being in the league. Can't remember for sure my highest game I think 179. Pretty sure I never hit 200, if I did and somehow forgot then 201.

Never gone bowling in a diaper before. Who knows never to late to try.

I like to go to furbowls, not great but enjoy it, really would like to go for duck pin bowling more often as its been years

rennecfox said:
I like to go to furbowls, not great but enjoy it, really would like to go for duck pin bowling more often as its been years
I have not ever heard of that, but I googled it. That would be fun to watch. It might get hot. 😆
My closest thing we have done is Halloween bowing parties before that people bowled in costume. One dude 20 years ago kind of weird, he dressed up as lieutenant Dan from the movie Forrest Gump. He tucked his legs under him in a wheel chair and pulled baggy military uniform pants on and a green army shirt like he had lost his legs and a green army shirt. He did not bowl for shit from his wheelchair. 🤣 Of course all of us guys had to try it. So bowling from a wheelchair was very hard I hope I never have to do it again in my life, but I have done it. 😂. To be honest I really thought it was a little disrespectful to pretend to be a disabled Vet. Even if it was from a fictional movie character on Halloween. I have nothing but respect for those that have served this country and even more for the ones that came back physically or mentally not whole! 😥 God Bless them all.

I always want to try duck pin and candle pin bowling. I am not real big on glow bowl, but this clutch system bowling looks fun. It can also be used to track and project ball path, it would be a great learning tool. The PBA uses it to show viewers the ball path. But here is a video of it doing special effects on the lanes.

I was part of a league when I was a kid. Not in a league now and haven't been in a couple of years - but would definitely enjoy being able to bowl with others more often.

Padded90sKid said:
I was part of a league when I was a kid. Not in a league now and haven't been in a couple of years - but would definitely enjoy being able to bowl with others more often.
You should go to your local center one night and give it a go. If you are worried about not being as good as others no body really cares. I only say that because it seams to be the main reason people do not join. But most bowling centers have fun leagues that are less serious than others and some not even sanctioned like 9 pin Notap. Hit 9 and it counts as a strike. The important part is getting out having fun and putting the damn screen down for a few hours and visiting with real people. This is why I like it. I still have my share of bad days same as everyone else. give it a go you might like it.

I went bowling again this past Monday night with a group of friends, and rolled an 86 game. (Well, it is a casual thing for me)

Back