How do I fluff diapers in the dryer?

GoodnitesAreGoat

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I have heard good things about fluffing diapers in the dryer. Could I have instructions on the best way to do it? What heat do I set it to, how long do I leave them in, and so on?

GoodnitesAreGoat said:
I have heard good things about fluffing diapers in the dryer. Could I have instructions on the best way to do it? What heat do I set it to, how long do I leave them in, and so on?
I have seen a video on YouTube of a guy putting some of his diapers in his dryer

No heat! Use air fluff setting, unfold diapers, toss in 1-5 or so, run for a minute, take them out and check. If they're still stiff, keep going. If fluffy, you're done. Remember, zero heat!

Reactions: BJsTyLeZ
I didnt have any luck with trying that...they fluffed up but ended up being all clumpy in the inner padding.

Zero heat 20 minutes for Goodnites, LittleKings and others works well for me. Want to give shout out to forum member, pic shows her in cute dress twirling, who mentioned this. I tried it and was then saying to myself "you have been wearing for 30 years and you just discovered this...geeeesh" Wish I had known earlier, makes a big difference on absorbency.

Diapers and dryers vary, but this is how I do it with good results using my older large capacity Bosch dryer:

I set the dryer to Air Fluff, which is a NO HEAT setting;

I put in between 4 and 6 unfolded diapers. The diapers are quality ones - NorthShore Supreme and higher capacity.

I watch the time display and give each batch about 5 minutes total. If you are using lower capacity diapers, I would suggest checking them every minute or two during the first time to be sure they don't get to the point of being damaged and prone to clumping.

The last batch I fluffed consisted of two each of Land Of Genie Dinosaur print and Tykables Little Rascal print. The 5 minute time worked out fine for me.

Set the dryer to "No Heat"

Throw in unfolded diapers and time it for 1-2 minutes. IF you do it to long, the padding will break up and you will wind up with a diaper that will leak easily.

Also, stay in front of the dryer so you can stop it quickly.

Be careful. If you leave it in too long there is a chance some of the filling could come out. Then you'll have the dry beads that are really small in there just waiting until you put wet clothes in there to swell up!

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen
I tried it with two different diapers. I got some leakage so I will continue to fluff them by hand.

It's really not a good idea to put them in the dryer.
DoIC posted this response:
"I've said this before and I'll say it again. This is not a good idea... You never know when a diaper is going to open up and lose its contents. They're not meant for that kind of abuse. That is not a mess you want to clean up, and it's a fire hazard, even without heat. I've encountered plenty of diapers that weren't well sealed. Also, the SAP crystals are small enough to work their way out through the weave of the top sheet. Ever noticed gel balls on your skin after wetting a diaper? That's because it doesn't all stay contained. Sure, some of it may be stray stuff that was just sitting on the surface, but...we're talking granules that are significantly smaller than a grain of sand when dry. They're rather difficult to effectively contain.

You don't want that stuff getting out and gumming up the workings of your dryer, or working its way into the heating system of the dryer. The gaskets on dryer drums are not meant to seal out particulates that small. Those gaskets are often made of fabric, too. Is suspect that dry SAP may also be abrasive enough to wear down those gaskets, as well. The edge of a diaper is also just thin enough that it could get entangled between the drum and the gasket, and nothing good will come of that. Heck, I've seen hair get into that spot and wreak havoc.

Sorry to go on a rant, but this is a safety issue. Not to mention, if you wreck your dryer, do you really want to have to explain to the repair person why there are shreds of a diaper entangled in it?"

Last edited:
Reactions: SimCo, TigerDL and DelC
Thank you all! I am now in a very soft and fluffy Mermaid Tales. I appreciate the help.

Reactions: TigerDL
Back