Help Me Understand This Diaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

WBxx

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Someone recently posted a link for “Becks Classic Snap Adult Cloth Diapers”. The site states:

Becks Classic Snap Adult Cloth Diapers are our Two-ply 100% cotton Birdseye face cloth adult diapers with stainless snaps are an economical alternative to disposable adult briefs. Becks Classic Snap Adult Cloth Diapers have a one-ply heavyweight soaker and a knitted vinyl barrier.” Underline is mine.

The vinyl barrier makes no sense to me. Does it eliminate the need for a plastic pant? That doesn’t seem likely in that urine would quickly wick past the edge of barrier into the outer portion of the diaper and the wearer’s clothing without a plastic pant. And if one wore more multiple for added capacity, wouldn’t the barrier on the inner impede the flow of urine into the center of the outer diaper(s)?

So my question, what’s the purpose of the vinyl barrier?

Becks Classic Snap Cloth Adult Diaper.jpg

All I can think is it's a matter of comfort for relatively light wetters. If it was anything other than the occasional dribble, I think you'd have to have an outer barrier pant, since as you say, it would have to flow past. It doesn't seem like a great idea but maybe someone has tried them under the right circumstances.

So it's...kind of a half-way all in one?

I think you'd be much better to go with just a cloth diaper and then a separate pair of plastic pants. You have to wash these things as well as dry them. Any plastic or vinyl can't be put into a dryer, so if cloth is attached to plastic, it will take forever to air dry.

These were popular until adult disposables were readily available in the mid 1980s. Some nursing homes still use them today.

The barrier doesn’t work well in actual use, but at the time (until the mid 80s) adult-sized plastic pants were hard to come by.

The more popular versions had snaps; others (without the leg gathers and elastic waist) required pins.

I tried something similar to this once from the Sears catalogue in about 1987. They did not have snaps though and everything else that has been said is correct. They are best used with plastic pants. Just go with regular cloth diapers, there are plenty of good ones out there. I use the leakmaster from adultclothdiaper.com. Reasonable prices, excellent service, very discreet and most of all an outstanding product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back