Function and urge

lilshelly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
So as many here know I am functionally incontinent due to Cerebral Palsy. I have been wearing diapers for a year or so. I wear when I am out away from home. I don't wear when I am home as I can make as many trips to the bathroom as needed. The urge and frequent bathroom trips are starting to occur more if I don't wear a diaper.
Coming to terms with the idea that I may not be able to go without a diaper even at home. Even more concerned that I will eventually end up needing in bed. I am able to sleep through the night getting up maybe once to go. Does anyone have incontinence issues during your hours awake. But can sleep without the need of a diaper?

Last edited:
The rest of the post seems to be cut off.

I am IC too due to ASD

From those I've spoken to with CP, continence can worsen with age. Adding urge to your functional incontinence is a big change. Do you notice if the urge declines when seriously relaxing at home or does it consistently hit during waking hours? Also realize that bladder spasms (urges) may be calm when you're asleep, plus urine production is naturally suppressed when sleeping. Keep a diary during your waking hours noting time, what you were doing, urges, and voids. Maybe you'll see some patterns emerge, rather than it just seeming like all or nothing.

Most mornings I wake up dry, but attempting to get out of bed causes me to wet (close to 2000mL). Don't know if that helps at all.

lilshelly said:
Coming to terms with the idea that I may not be able to go without a diaper even at home. Even more concerned that I will eventually end up needing in bed. I am able to sleep through the night getting up maybe once to go. Does anyone have incontinence issues during your hours awake.
I am urge incontinent due to diabetes type 2 nerve damage. Like you, I can normally get through the day without issues when at home. When away from home, I do need protection however. The exception around home is usually late at night when I get tired or can't make it in time (stairs or bathroom occupied). I do sometimes have the threat of IBS-d, so I have resigned to wearing pull-ups/cheap briefs during the day, just in case. When away from home for any length of time, I use a "full protection" (briefs + plastic pants).
lilshelly said:
But can sleep without the need of a diaper?
When I first became IC, I could sleep without a diaper (except for a couple of times in my youth, I didn't wet the bed). But about 9 months after IC, I started to have the occasional night time wetting accident, which didn't go over well with the Mrs. So I now wear a diaper overnight and sometimes wake up wet. When I do wake up dry, I still use the diaper and go back to sleep, since the cost is the same and the sleep is golden.

Because of my BPH pills, I sit up when getting out of bed to allow the blood pressure to ramp up. This and standing after getting out of bed (like CheshireCat) will cause me to wet anyway. Sitting on the bed is my wife's cue to use the bathroom before I go in and take my shower. You could say that she has "pee priority" :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: CheshireCat
I just got up out of bed not long ago.
I did go to the bathroom before I really started moving around the house. I do feel what seems to be a little bit of pressure which I am getting used to. I don't like it. I am trying to get used to it.

I don't want to have to wear when I am at home. The bathroom is close enough I don't have any issues getting there. I am finding that the feeling is there almost continuous which makes me concerned about accidents.
I have tried to go out of the house without having a diaper which ends up with frequent bathroom trips.
Side note my husband is the one who gets pee priority around here, thank goodness for 2 bathrooms. 😆

I have heavy continence problems over the daytime but nearly no at night, as long as I don’t make the mistake to try to getup. I usually wake up from the pressure and use than a bed bottle while lying because if I would sit-up I would loose control.

Back