Experiences and Tips for Urge Incon in College Classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeNobody

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
With increasing urgency problems that leave me gritting my teeth and running to the bathroom. I started wearing tape on diapers to long lectures.

Originally I wanted to wear a pull-up but they can not handle a full bladder as that is what usually happens. I just can not make it after feeling the need and just let it all go.

It is preferable not to be in a soaked diaper all day so I have purchased Seni diapers with the Velcro like tabs so if I can go I do and just retape after for some just in case protection.

Carrying an extra or two pads is no big deal because everyone else has a backpack. Changing in the bathroom is a challenge and have thought of talking to the disability resources department for access to the disabled bathroom but that is noticable.

Downsides, definitely the smell it's my biggest concern. Leaks on chairs. Changing and getting a good fit. Seni diapers clearly were not for me. The cut on the thighs is small.

Overall it's manageable but what are your experiences.

Reactions: Diprs2
I don't have any experiences in college, as my problems happened later. But I did start having my problems towards the very end of law school. Unfortunately, that was during The Time of Great Denial, so my experiences were not that great, and my decisions were poor. At that time my accidents were MUCH less frequent, so I never considered diapers. Well, I did, but shot that down immediately because I just couldn't do it and admit I had a problem. I only had one accident in school, which was covered up by me "spilling" water on myself.

I do not miss that time in my life.

Reactions: Diprs2 and EcoIncon
newt said:
I only had one accident in school, which was covered up by me "spilling" water on myself.

I do not miss that time in my life.

Yeah... If I could count the number of times I used that to cover it up in my denial phase... It was enough for someone to tell me "You really need to stop drinking water at meetings..." If they only knew...

Reactions: Diprs2, JolandaH, DiaperDiva and 1 other person
SomeNobody said:
Overall it's manageable but what are your experiences.
My issues started in college. I wish I'd been as practical as you... I also wish there had been more options available... For me the combination of only having green plastic depends, attends, pads and "undergarments" available in college collided with my denial about the situation to a bad result. I'd carry a change of clothes in my backpack and had a jacket I could wrap around my waist to hide the wet spots until I could change.

Reactions: Diprs2 and newt
EcoIncon said:
Yeah... If I could count the number of times I used that to cover it up in my denial phase... It was enough for someone to tell me "You really need to stop drinking water at meetings..." If they only knew...
Yep. Those are the darkest times. After two accidents and "spilling" at work, I realized that I could no longer get away with it anymore and FINALLY admitted I had a real problem on my hands and it wasn't going away. But you're absolutely right...if only they knew it was clumsiness.

I didn't have bladder problems in college (those came later) but I had lots of trouble with bowel urgency from ulcerative colitis.

The first thing to do is to talk to your professors and let them know what's going on. Mine were almost universally understanding and supportive, and that meant that I could leave class quickly if needed without worrying about the prof. If you get pushback from any of them, you can always get the college disabilities office involved.

The second thing to do is to find diapers that fit well and are comfortable, and that have an appropriate capacity. This is generally a trial end error process, but it's well worth doing. When I was in school, the choices were mostly Attends or Depend, but now there are so many choices of really good products.

The third thing to do is the hardest: Relax. Nobody can tell what kind of underwear you're wearing, and few would care if they did know. I remember how hard it was to wear an Attends to class when my UC was flaring - it felt like everyone could tell at a glance that I had a diaper on. In reality, it's much harder than you think to spot a diaper under normal clothes.

Reactions: Diprs2 and newt
Oh my- I’m so sorry to hear. I know it’s a very scary situation. my Oab started to become unmanageable (urge accidents and frequent leaks) while I was taking a course at the community college and I ended up sitting way in back away from others (if you can) and I had to wear baggy clothes and long tops over my mid area or ( maybe you can wear a long shirt or jacket), and I wore a pad inside the heaviest depend adult pull-ups I could find. now I wear heavier diapers. I used a lot of perfume and body sprays (down there). I don’t know of smell was a thing but I often was wet even during the class. Not being dehydrated (but not drink too much ) is always the delicate balancing act. I think the reality is nobody really notices these things as everyone is so preoccupied with themselves. hope things go well for you :)
-jess

SomeNobody said:
Changing in the bathroom is a challenge and have thought of talking to the disability resources department for access to the disabled bathroom but that is noticable.
In university, I was so deathly afraid of saying something stupid in class that I rarely said anything, and I wasn’t doing well. Then I had an appointment with a psychologist about another issue — combat-related PTSD even though no one at that recognized PTSD as a common outcome of trauma. The subject of my reticence in class came up, and I told her that if I got up the courage to raise my hand in a class discussion, I would start trembling and could manage only a few words before shutting down out of fear that people would think what I said was stupid and that I was stupid. She said, and I paraphrase. “Do you really think that your classmates leave class with nothing on their minds but you and your ‘stupid’ comments?” I had to admit that people have their own lives to contend with, and pay little attention to the kazillions of other potential distractions generated by other people. In other words, what Peter P.P. said or did in class had essentially zero impact on anyone else’s life. But those people might, she said, appreciate what I had to say! After that, you couldn’t shut me up in class or out!

SomeNobody’s dilemma seems similar to the one I just outlined. He’s afraid of being stigmatized by someone who notices him going into the disabled bathroom. Of course he might be noticed by someone, maybe by several people, maybe by none. But trash spilling out of a garbage can is noticeable. So is a coffee stain on a shirt. So is someone handing out religious tracts on a downtown corner, or a busker playing. But no matter who notices SomeNody going into a disabled bathroom, his doing so has virtually zero impact on anyone except for SomeNobody.

And there’s this. Following my rather unpleasant experiences in Vietnam, and my discharge from hospital nearly a year later, I had a severe li p as the muscles in my right leg began slowly to gain strength. If people noticed my limp, and no one could have missed it, no one ever said a word. One legacy of my legacies of the Vietnam is a horrendous deep, large scar on my inner right thigh. I generally wear long pants in public, but I sometime choose shorts on hot days and occasionally go swimming. As with my limp, no one paying the slightest attention could possibly fail to notice “the guy with that awful scar. Yet only one person in the last 50 years has mentioned. That was a little girl, maybe seven years old, who dog paddled over to where I was sitting on the edge of a pool and said, “What happened to your leg, Mister?” “I was shot in Vietnam,” I said. “Oh,” she said, and then she dog paddled away.

I have never in my life been aware of an able person being public ally rude to a disabled person. In fact the opposite is the case. These days I walk with a cane and use my mobility scooter on longer shopping trips, and people either ignore mr or offer me their seat on buses or the subway, open doors for me, step aside to give room, even ask if they can reach something on a shelf for me. I’m pretty sure they don’t gossip about me with their friends and families. I’m pretty sure they’ve got things other than me and my disabilities on their minds.

I have serious doubts that you would be denied use of the disabled bathroom if you were to explain, briefly, your problem. Anyone given responsibility for providing access to that bathroom has to be well aware of people’s limitations. Disability bathrooms are made for people like SomeNobody (and possibly me, in the future, should I decide to use a toilet rather than my panties and black pants).

Finally, it occurs to me that a successful education may depend on judicious the use of … Depends? No one can learn much from any university class if they’re worried sick about leaving a wet spot on their chair and hoping they can hide a telltale wet patch on their pants.

Peter P.P.

And, of course, right after posting my previous comments, I found a new thread about public abuse stemming from use of a public disabled bathroom by a person with an “invisible” disability, which is the case with the original poster, SomeNobody. Since my own urge incontinence isn’t a real problem, yet, I haven’t needed diapers or disability bathrooms. All I can say is that we’ve just gotta try to ignore the jerks and A-holes of the world.

Peter P.P.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back