Excess body weight and incontinence

aligator

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hello everyone, have you noticed a pattern between your body weight and urinary incontinence

Reactions: Diprs2 and Neroforte
I had gastric surgery last fall and am down over 100 pounds, I was hoping it would help with me bladder incontinence but I have not seen any improvement.

• Sad
Reactions: Edgewater, sport1, Diprs2 and 1 other person
Nope ,

Reactions: Edgewater and Diprs2
I've been various weights and my IC was the same at every weight
but im sure if you are quite heavy it could have an impact

When I first became Incontinent the doctor told me to loose weight. Over the last 5 years I have lost weight but it has made no difference. It depends on the cause of your incontinence. Mine is due to diabetic nerve damage.

Some urologist told me i am (maybe) incontinent because of my weight, because my BMI is about 32,5. I thought that is nonsense.

But there is the fact, that weight pushes pressure on your pelvic floor additionally and some types of incontinence may be affected.
Because i do have problems with the pelvic floor (to tight) i try to loose some weight, just to be sure that is not the reason for the problems, i do not think so really, but i like to tell next doctor talking "i am just to heavy" i ruled that out. There are other reasons for getting down as well, for example to fit into "M" size diapers, i am between sizes now, additionally i do have problems with my knees (injuries) ans less weight would be simply better.

I already reduced my weight about 10kg but i do not see any difference, 10kg more to go to be "safe".

When I first reached out for my bladder issues, I was told it was all due to my weight and I should focus on losing it. I've struggled with my weight a lot since then, but have since found out it is related to an obstruction instead. I was told by my urologist that weight can put pressure on your pelvic floor and exacerbate existing issues, but not outright cause them. So, yes and no.

Reactions: Pino, Edgewater and Diprs2
I have no personal experience with the weight/wetting issue. I note that the stereotype of the youthful wetter is a thin male as portrayed in many drawings.

I have remained 5fft 9in 165 for yrs but ic is always the same.

Reactions: Edgewater
The combination of a car crash and reparative surgeries resulting in nerve damage - weight has zero effect!

Sounds like an MD working in the wrong field. Get a second opinion!

Back