Enuresis and Encopresis to Incontinence

Lilah

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Not sure if this is the right place to post but I wanted to share my story after a long hiatus from the site. I’m feeling pretty vulnerable right now but also quite mixed about the whole situation and I just wanted to share my story with others who may understand more than the general population.

I have always had nocturnal enuresis and encopresis and to manage it I have worn diapers to bed my whole life. I have also been a DL since I can remember, which I assume happened since I never left diapers long term. Though I was not a DL growing up I appreciated my diapers for keeping my bed dry and allowing me to sleep. Once I hit puberty though my DL desires got much stronger, and even more so as an adult. Until recently, I never had any daytime issues except for the occasional accident due to extreme circumstances (like bad traffic or being sick) and that only occurred a couple times a year, not anything to be alarmed about.
I started wearing and using diapers 24/7 during covid lockdowns in March 2020 when my company switched to remote work. I wore 24/7 except to see family, friends, and doctors, and with the pandemic I was spending most of my time alone. My work stayed fully remote since 2020 so for 3 years I didn’t worry about holding my bladder/bowels on a daily basis I just used the diaper as soon as I felt an urge, then later I stopped pushing and just let my body relax and relieve itself. This was a huge mistake because around April 2023 I started to notice my diaper would feel much wetter than when I last remembered using it, and also started to have small uncontrollable wetting accidents when coughing, sneezing, and jumping.

After this startling development, I started trying to hold my urine and bowels but was shocked to find I was not able to hold back my urges anymore. I could barely even feel when my bladder was filling, it just seemed to release small amounts every 15 minutes or so. Initially I tried to rip the bandaid off and went right back to wearing underwear. I didn’t make it though my first day out of diapers though, I got discouraged from all the leaks and just decided it would be easiest to keep using the diaper until I could see a doctor. As for my bowels, I was able to feel an urge to poop if I concentrated really hard but as soon as I felt the urge I had less than 5 minutes to make it to a bathroom or I’d poop my diaper. Pushing also got much weaker, anytime I sat on the toilet and tried to empty myself I could only squeeze out a few drops and I couldn’t force a bowel movement at all.

Since then, I have been in/out of multiple doctors trying to regain control of my bladder and bowels. After some invasive tests and full body scans, they determined I am retaining urine, have OAB/urge incontinence, stress incontinence, and bowel incontinence. I now attend pelvic floor PT regularly. Although the PT progress is very slow I once managed to hold back a bowel movement until I could remove my diaper and sit on a toilet (which was a huge achievement at the time). I got better at sensing fullness in both my bladder and bowel but I was still unable to consistently hold back an accident for more than a minute or two.

Sadly, that progress was all lost in October 2023. I got a nasty UTI which was treated with a couple rounds of antibiotics, then in December I started a psychiatric program to help manage my depression and anxiety, where I also got my Autism diagnosis. In the program I started some new medications (Abilify and Adderall) and attended one on one therapy sessions. The therapy did help mentally, but my control has not returned since the UTI and I can no longer sense any fullness in my bladder or bowels.

I am convinced these events at the end of 2023 destroyed any progress I had made since beginning PT because now I alternate between constant leakage, severe urgency, retaining urine, constipation, and diarrhea. My doctor has recommended regular cathing, but after the last UTI we’re going to save it for a last resort treatment if my retention gets too bad.

While I did understand the consequences of consciously untraining continence, I had not imagined casual wearing could result in losing my control and having such permanent issues. Throughout those 3 years I kept telling myself I was different from the other stories I’d read, I was different from the DL’s who trained to become incontinent then regretted it all once they truly lost control…. But in the end I wound up the exact same way, full of regret and no longer able to chose when I want to wear a diaper.

I truly regret what I may have done to myself by wearing and using diapers for 3 years straight, and I hate every minute of relying on diapers for my bodily functions. What started as a fun “day off” has turned into an expensive, embarrassing, and demoralizing life where I live from one diaper change to the next. Please do not feel sorry for me, but instead take this as a warning- be careful what you wish for!! Getting to choose when you wear diapers is far more enjoyable than being dependent on diapers.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: StarWars7, sport1, diaperdude and 5 others
It's a warning I try to put across to a lot of people on here wishing to go 24/7 it's hard work and hopefully you can undo what you have undone however dont beat your self up too much if you already suffered from bed wetting it may have progressed at some point anyway just maybe not so soon. You have to remember that incontinence and bed wetting are usually a consequence of something else be it a disease, disorder or poisoning, the last one while it sounds startling is one I'm starting to explore as an explanation for my ongoing health issues as occupational exposure to benzene causes nervous system damage.
I do think you may have it in the wrong section though anyone who's reading in this section is incontinent think the adult diaper section might be better suited.

Reactions: Canadianfalls, Edgewater, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
Pongoandperdi15 said:
It's a warning I try to put across to a lot of people on here wishing to go 24/7 it's hard work and hopefully you can undo what you have undone however dont beat your self up too much if you already suffered from bed wetting it may have progressed at some point anyway just maybe not so soon. You have to remember that incontinence and bed wetting are usually a consequence of something else be it a disease, disorder or poisoning, the last one while it sounds startling is one I'm starting to explore as an explanation for my ongoing health issues as occupational exposure to benzene causes nervous system damage.
I do think you may have it in the wrong section though anyone who's reading in this section is incontinent think the adult diaper section might be better suited.
Thank you for the kind words.
I wonder if the mods can help move this post to a better forum?

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
i understand where he is coming from. i was a bedwetter to as a child. when i was in my early 20 i was wearing diapers all the time my choice then. over years i have lost all control of my bladder i don't even notice im peeing seeing it like a constant thing fluid in and fluid out. as far as my bowels go it like a fart it happens. i do wet and mess every night in my sleep. and then again mid afternoon sometimes.

Reactions: StarWars7, sport1, Canadianfalls and 2 others
Lilah said:
Not sure if this is the right place to post but I wanted to share my story after a long hiatus from the site. I’m feeling pretty vulnerable right now but also quite mixed about the whole situation and I just wanted to share my story with others who may understand more than the general population.

I have always had nocturnal enuresis and encopresis and to manage it I have worn diapers to bed my whole life. I have also been a DL since I can remember, which I assume happened since I never left diapers long term. Though I was not a DL growing up I appreciated my diapers for keeping my bed dry and allowing me to sleep. Once I hit puberty though my DL desires got much stronger, and even more so as an adult. Until recently, I never had any daytime issues except for the occasional accident due to extreme circumstances (like bad traffic or being sick) and that only occurred a couple times a year, not anything to be alarmed about.
I started wearing and using diapers 24/7 during covid lockdowns in March 2020 when my company switched to remote work. I wore 24/7 except to see family, friends, and doctors, and with the pandemic I was spending most of my time alone. My work stayed fully remote since 2020 so for 3 years I didn’t worry about holding my bladder/bowels on a daily basis I just used the diaper as soon as I felt an urge, then later I stopped pushing and just let my body relax and relieve itself. This was a huge mistake because around April 2023 I started to notice my diaper would feel much wetter than when I last remembered using it, and also started to have small uncontrollable wetting accidents when coughing, sneezing, and jumping.

After this startling development, I started trying to hold my urine and bowels but was shocked to find I was not able to hold back my urges anymore. I could barely even feel when my bladder was filling, it just seemed to release small amounts every 15 minutes or so. Initially I tried to rip the bandaid off and went right back to wearing underwear. I didn’t make it though my first day out of diapers though, I got discouraged from all the leaks and just decided it would be easiest to keep using the diaper until I could see a doctor. As for my bowels, I was able to feel an urge to poop if I concentrated really hard but as soon as I felt the urge I had less than 5 minutes to make it to a bathroom or I’d poop my diaper. Pushing also got much weaker, anytime I sat on the toilet and tried to empty myself I could only squeeze out a few drops and I couldn’t force a bowel movement at all.

Since then, I have been in/out of multiple doctors trying to regain control of my bladder and bowels. After some invasive tests and full body scans, they determined I am retaining urine, have OAB/urge incontinence, stress incontinence, and bowel incontinence. I now attend pelvic floor PT regularly. Although the PT progress is very slow I once managed to hold back a bowel movement until I could remove my diaper and sit on a toilet (which was a huge achievement at the time). I got better at sensing fullness in both my bladder and bowel but I was still unable to consistently hold back an accident for more than a minute or two.

Sadly, that progress was all lost in October 2023. I got a nasty UTI which was treated with a couple rounds of antibiotics, then in December I started a psychiatric program to help manage my depression and anxiety, where I also got my Autism diagnosis. In the program I started some new medications (Abilify and Adderall) and attended one on one therapy sessions. The therapy did help mentally, but my control has not returned since the UTI and I can no longer sense any fullness in my bladder or bowels.

I am convinced these events at the end of 2023 destroyed any progress I had made since beginning PT because now I alternate between constant leakage, severe urgency, retaining urine, constipation, and diarrhea. My doctor has recommended regular cathing, but after the last UTI we’re going to save it for a last resort treatment if my retention gets too bad.

While I did understand the consequences of consciously untraining continence, I had not imagined casual wearing could result in losing my control and having such permanent issues. Throughout those 3 years I kept telling myself I was different from the other stories I’d read, I was different from the DL’s who trained to become incontinent then regretted it all once they truly lost control…. But in the end I wound up the exact same way, full of regret and no longer able to chose when I want to wear a diaper.

I truly regret what I may have done to myself by wearing and using diapers for 3 years straight, and I hate every minute of relying on diapers for my bodily functions. What started as a fun “day off” has turned into an expensive, embarrassing, and demoralizing life where I live from one diaper change to the next. Please do not feel sorry for me, but instead take this as a warning- be careful what you wish for!! Getting to choose when you wear diapers is far more enjoyable than being dependent on diapers.
That is a super useful post. Thank you. I have an oab, pads/nappies during the day. And DL. Sometimes just lazy, with the urges, very easy to do, bladder urgency is horrible. Because of multiple trips to the loo at night, I have started peeing into a nappy, without getting up. This helps with sleep. But your post is a good warning. Sorry you find yourself in that predicament. Hope you are ok.

Reactions: Woncrinklz, Edgewater, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
Lilah said:
Thank you for the kind words.
I wonder if the mods can help move this post to a better forum?
On saying that it crosses two paths here as you're after support for incontinence but placing a warning out to anyone who wants to do 24/7

Reactions: Woncrinklz, Edgewater, Lilah and 1 other person
Also ISC (intermittent catheter) is a hot bed for UTIs just saying I'm currently fighting that battle if urology ever make you go down that path. They always talk about the risks of UTIs with retention what they don't tell you is the risk of UTIs while using ISC.

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater, Lilah and PadPhilosopher
Don't blame yourself. You always had questionable continence, and I agree it may well be that you'd have lost it anyway.

Others have had opposite experiences. I remember a guy on Quora (where such things are discussed freely) lamenting that he'd been wearing and using for over a decade 24/7, and still had bladder control. He was looking for advice on how to, once and for all, lose it. Others, here and there, have reported losing continence, and either preferring it gone, or being indifferent.

You would prefer to get back what continence you had. For that reason, I hope you do. But, I would remind you that you wore 24/7 for 3 years for a reason: you enjoyed it. I don't know what caused you to change your mind, but it sounds like it was the psychological hurdle of wearing around others. At this point, it may be easier, cheaper, and safer to accept your incontinence and overcome that psychological hurdle, rather than spending thousands on therapy and medication to try to regain the limited continence you had.

Either way you decide, it won't be easy, and I wish you all the best on your journey.

Last edited:
Reactions: moorey, Woncrinklz, Edgewater and 1 other person
Encopresis typically means someone (commonly children) have extremely difficulty with constipation. If it continues the stool becomes so hard that BM's can't get through. Over time the child will have liquid stool leaking through the hard stool. The child will be given an enema or suppositories. Rarely do adults have encopresis.

• Thinking
Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192, Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
PadPhilosopher said:
Don't blame yourself. You always had questionable continence, and I agree it may well be that you'd have lost it anyway.

Others have had opposite experiences. I remember a guy on Quora (where such things are discussed freely) lamenting that he'd been wearing and using for over a decade 24/7, and still had bladder control. He was looking for advice on how to, once and for all, lose it. Others, here and there, have reported losing continence, and either preferring it gone, or being indifferent.

You would prefer to get back what continence you had. For that reason, I hope you do. But, I would remind you that you wore 24/7 for 3 years for a reason: you enjoyed it. I don't know what caused you to change your mind, but it sounds like it was the psychological hurdle of wearing around others. At this point, it may be easier, cheaper, and safer to accept your incontinence and overcome that psychological hurdle, rather than spending thousands on therapy and medication to try to regain the limited continence you had.

Either way you decide, it won't be easy, and I wish you all the best on your journey.
Thanks, I am trying to be nicer to myself but it is hard some days, today being one of those days.
You are correct- I made the conscious decision to wear 24/7 because I enjoyed it but at the same time I had no intention of losing control because I never wanted to have to wear around others in my daily life. Unfortunately I didn’t have the foresight to stop myself from indulging during the lockdowns and now I’m paying for it. It’s funny, the whole time I was wearing 24/7 I was under the impression I was using my diaper voluntarily, but once the diaper came off I was proven so wrong.

Reactions: GeorgeG, Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
Lilah said:
Thanks, I am trying to be nicer to myself but it is hard some days, today being one of those days.
You are correct- I made the conscious decision to wear 24/7 because I enjoyed it but at the same time I had no intention of losing control because I never wanted to have to wear around others in my daily life. Unfortunately I didn’t have the foresight to stop myself from indulging during the lockdowns and now I’m paying for it. It’s funny, the whole time I was wearing 24/7 I was under the impression I was using my diaper voluntarily, but once the diaper came off I was proven so wrong.
Life is filled with unintended consequences. This may not even be a consequence, as has been noted. But even if it is, I've done so many stupid things in my life, things that hurt people I loved, that I wish I had only done something so non-hurtful to others as giving up continence.

Don't kick yourself. From the sounds of it, you've punished yourself plenty already. Just decide what's most important, make a plan, and move forward into the rest of your life. It will be wonderful, continence or not, if you approach it with a positive attitude.

• Love
Reactions: moorey, Woncrinklz, Edgewater and 1 other person
greatlake5 said:
Encopresis typically means someone (commonly children) have extremely difficulty with constipation. If it continues the stool becomes so hard that BM's can't get through. Over time the child will have liquid stool leaking through the hard stool. The child will be given an enema or suppositories. Rarely do adults have encopresis.
Encopresis is the diagnosis listed in my charts, but you have a fair point because it has been listed since I was a toddler. l have had #1 and #2 accidents in my sleep for my whole life and after lots of testing when I was younger it was determined I am a deep sleeper with possible nerve issues or another birth defect. Once I got older I also found out I have sciatica and my right side sciatic nerve bothers me from time to time.

It’s also important to note I was adopted internationally with no easy way to trace my family tree. So I do not know my family medical history nor does anyone else, but it would be really helpful knowing whether one of my biological parents also had continence issues or another sort of underlying disease.

• Thinking
Reactions: Woncrinklz, Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
For what I've read, with constipation over a longer period of time the child has impacted stool which causes liquid stool leaking. It's not the typical incontinence. Constipated child is treated with a variety of choices for treatment (including suppositories).
Lilah said:
Encopresis is the diagnosis listed in my charts, but you have a fair point because it has been listed since I was a toddler. l have had #1 and #2 accidents in my sleep for my whole life and after lots of testing when I was younger it was determined I am a deep sleeper with possible nerve issues or another birth defect.
I've never had problem with real constipation. In fact my IC is simply an unable to control my bowels and urine. You note that your diagnosis on your medical chart was when you were as a toddler. Now you're older, I would think that your IC issues are more than just encopresis when you were a kid.? How are you doing during the day?

I have BM accidents about half of the time when I'm sleeping. Like you, I sleep heavy and often I don't even notice I defecated. Regardless of your cause, diapers are one of the best way to contain accidents. Especially when sleeping. By the way, welcome to the IC forum. ADISC is a great way to get support and advice.

• Love
Reactions: Canadianfalls, Lilah, Edgewater and 1 other person
The reality here is that you need to change your opinion of what you are facing everyday and will most likely be for the balance of your life.

I was lucky as I survived a car crash that should have killed me or at the very limited or no mobility! But a gathering of Angels likely worked wonders and here, 46 years later and the worst thing in my life is that I wear diapers 24/7!! I am so very grateful that I am here at this moment to encourage you to stand-up and look around you at the vast number of individuals that likely wish that wearing a diaper was their only issue.

You are turning deep into yourself and loosing a valuable vantage point: Reality: You Are Here!! You wear diapers 24/7 and as a result, you can sleep a full night! You can go out and about and move about like everyone else. Is it simply: NO! Does it require additional effort: YES!

If tomorrow, I choose to no longer wear a diaper, this World would be a much wetter place. I look at my wearing a diaper as a positive, as my wearing keeps this World a drier place!! And that is a good thing.

Everyone makes stupid errors in their life. What the difference is; you learn from it! Your being here and clearly stating that you did and regret it helps you move ahead!! There are tens of thousands of us that wear everyday and everyday, more join us! You are not alone!

Be a Hero, show the way for others by standing-up, adjust your diaper and step-out the front door and be happy that you can do that!!

The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: moorey, Lilah, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
Thank you all for the good wishes! I really appreciate the kindness even though I’ve been away from the site for awhile.

I did have constipation and retention issues as a kid and actually went to the hospital a few times for it. But by the time I hit puberty my issues were limited to nighttime only. I did have 2-3 day time wetting or messing accidents a year, but I thought it was normal to occasionally lose control due to a long line or unexpected traffic.

Reactions: Poundinguy, PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
Pongoandperdi15 said:
however dont beat your self up too much if you already suffered from bed wetting it may have progressed at some point anyway just maybe not so soon
I agree with this based on the background you shared. I struggled with continence as a child and really hoped it would get better as an adult. It didn’t. I am not even sure you sped things up. It sounds to me like you just gave up the fight. Now you are trying to claw back some semblance of control. That’s very brave of you. However, don’t get down on yourself if you lose that battle. A lot of us have lost it and simply moved on. I realize that’s not an easy pill to swallow when you’re in your 20’s.

• Love
Reactions: Lilah, Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
I suffered with exactly the same when i was growning up.

Reactions: Lilah, PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
Lilah said:
Thank you all for the good wishes! I really appreciate the kindness even though I’ve been away from the site for awhile.

I did have constipation and retention issues as a kid and actually went to the hospital a few times for it. But by the time I hit puberty my issues were limited to nighttime only. I did have 2-3 day time wetting or messing accidents a year, but I thought it was normal to occasionally lose control due to a long line or unexpected traffic.
I had econpresis age 14 to 19

Reactions: Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
Sorry to hear your struggles @Lilah - being reliant on diapers 24/7 isn’t easy. But as I’ve said elsewhere - when you really need them, diapers don’t hold you back, they take you forward.

I’ve needed diapers medically my whole adult life 24/7 due to nerve damage caused by chronic illness. Why I try to maintain as much control as I can, I’m not able to walk far and I use a wheelchair to get around most places. So because I can’t run when I feel any urge, and as most toilets aren’t wheelchair accessible, it’s much easier and safer to use my diapers instead.

Considering your medical history, it’s possible that were it not for COVID, some other factor may have forced you into diapers 24/7 at some point - a number of people who had bedwetting issues they never grew out of, but had to go into diapers in the daytime too at a later stage in life.

I appreciate getting used to needing diapers again as an adult isn’t easy, especially when you’re younger. But IMO it’s the best way to manage a leaky bladder, instead of always worrying where the nearest bathroom is and thinking you can manage with just a period pad because that’s more ‘normal.’ To me, that’s not living, that’s just existing with a never ending source of stress. Use a toilet where you can, and don’t be ashamed of using your diaper when you can’t.

Maybe you made a mistake by wearing diapers 24/7, but give yourself credit by trying to fix it by retraining.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Edgewater, Lilah, Eclectic and 1 other person
annie said:
i understand where he is coming from. i was a bedwetter to as a child. when i was in my early 20 i was wearing diapers all the time my choice then. over years i have lost all control of my bladder i don't even notice im peeing seeing it like a constant thing fluid in and fluid out. as far as my bowels go it like a fart it happens. i do wet and mess every night in my sleep. and then again mid afternoon sometime. The same for me.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
Back