Do you wear a hearing aid?

geka

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I’m getting mind tomorrows afternoon,lm
Sure I’ll like them. But I thought I’d still like to ask those of you that use hearing aids how do you like them,advice welcome

Reactions: Edgewater
I don't wear them, though I'd like to, I was told they can help with tinnitus

RoseofThorns said:
I don't wear them, though I'd like to, I was told they can help with tinnitus
When I was at the office she put a set on me after about five minutes of talking she asked how my tinnitus was right now I listened and it was better. ( when your brain is missing sounds it makes that noise to fill in gaps)

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater and RoseofThorns
I just got some a few weeks ago, just for high-frequency sound. I thought my TV sound bar was crummy, couldn't hear percussion... turns out it was all there!

Reactions: Edgewater and geka
I'm planning on getting some in January with my new Medicare plan. Wife has been after me to get some and I've been having trouble understanding what people, especially women, are saying and getting tired of asking people to repeat themselves. Wife is sure tired of repeating herself. 😁

What?

• Haha
Reactions: Edgewater, geka, Sealander and 1 other person
i wear two hearing aids and have most of my life. theyre a pain in the butt but they are a wonderful tool. the first thing i noticed was certain stuff made noise that i never heard before, so the world might seem very loud to you at first. i always hate being able to hear the turn signal in the car XD

No, but I have, I don't know, 60% hearing in my right ear due to a medical condition in my childhood. I disfavor my right ear. Fortunately left works great.

ORBaby said:
I'm planning on getting some in January with my new Medicare plan. Wife has been after me to get some and I've been having trouble understanding what people, especially women, are saying and getting tired of asking people to repeat themselves. Wife is sure tired of repeating herself. 😁
Yea hearing women and children

I have hearing aids but don't wear them as often as I should.

• Sad
WHAAAAAAAT???!!!

(Just kidding, I can hear just fine)

• Haha
Reactions: Cottontail, Edgewater and geka
Ok, I’ve worn them for about a year. I’m super lucky to have gone to Vietnam, haha, but it did allow me to get my aids for free thru the VA. (Top of the line ones too. Btw, if you have trouble getting the VA to cooperate, don’t talk to them, but use the online access)
Still had trouble hearing the TV. Went back to VA and they ordered an adapter that takes the audio from your TV and transmits it to your Hearing Aids. Bluetooth or their own proprietary method. Much, much better. If you haven’t done that and are still experiencing trouble understanding the dialog on TV, you should look into. Highly recommend.
Pattie

• Love
Reactions: BigAl2 and Edgewater
geka said:
I’m getting mind tomorrows afternoon,lm
Sure I’ll like them. But I thought I’d still like to ask those of you that use hearing aids how do you like them,advice welcome
I’ve worn them for about 5 years and love them now. At first I was embarrassed to wear them as a guy in my early twenties but now I barely notice them. They will take some time to get used to wearing and each style of aid will be different. I still have my first pair that were bulkier with a molded earpiece and they aren’t as effective in adjusting to loud environments as quickly as my current ones. If you have any questions on them, message me!

Reactions: BigAl2 and Edgewater
I have one for my left ear. When i was little I was horsing around with a friend in my room. Had drops in my ear and Michael my friend kicked me. It burst my ear drum. Sometimes the ear drum never gets its skin back and well mine didn't. About 5 years ago I went completly deaf in that ear. Without a hearing aid I can't hear anything except the tinnitus. Problem I have the hearing aid which I paid a lot of money for every time I put that thing in my ear I get an ear infection. After having it disinfected a few times and a couple times myself I'd had enough. Last year took it out and never put it back in. It's there so I can pass a physical but that's it. I've gotten used to being unable to hear out of that ear. It's ashame to because it worked well but the hearing aid and the infection that came with it was doing more harm then good. I miss it but I don't miss the earache and infection.

Last edited:
I have been deaf my whole life. Wore hearing aids up til age 20 and got a cochlear implant. Love my implant. Able to hear everything. Still have to read lips cuz I don’t have the auditory memory to discriminate sounds.

Reactions: nezquic66, Edgewater and RoseofThorns
geka said:
When I was at the office she put a set on me after about five minutes of talking she asked how my tinnitus was right now I listened and it was better. ( when your brain is missing sounds it makes that noise to fill in gaps)
Thank you, that makes sense. I was told it's neurological

• Love
Patricia48 said:
Ok, I’ve worn them for about a year. I’m super lucky to have gone to Vietnam, haha, but it did allow me to get my aids for free thru the VA. (Top of the line ones too. Btw, if you have trouble getting the VA to cooperate, don’t talk to them, but use the online access)
Still had trouble hearing the TV. Went back to VA and they ordered an adapter that takes the audio from your TV and transmits it to your Hearing Aids. Bluetooth or their own proprietary method. Much, much better. If you haven’t done that and are still experiencing trouble understanding the dialog on TV, you should look into. Highly recommend.
Pattie
I’ll Definitely look into the adapter you’re talking about.
Had mine for a week it helps with hearing the tv etc. I really like how phone calls go straight to my hearing aid like your adapter

Kirisin said:
I have one for my left ear. When i was little I was horsing around with a friend in my room. Had drops in my ear and Michael my friend kicked me. It burst my ear drum. Sometimes the ear drum never gets its skin back and well mine didn't. About 5 years ago I went completly deaf in that ear. Without a hearing aid I can't hear anything except the tinnitus. Problem I have the hearing aid which I paid a lot of money for every time I put that thing in my ear I get an ear infection. After having it disinfected a few times and a couple times myself I'd had enough. Last year took it out and never put it back in. It's there so I can pass a physical but that's it. I've gotten used to being unable to hear out of that ear. It's ashame to because it worked well but the hearing aid and the infection that came with it was doing more harm then good. I miss it but I don't miss the earache and infection.
Sorry to hear it caused ear infections. A friend of mine told me he’s had ear infections too,I’ve going to a follow up appointment next week, definitely on my list of questions for my doctor

Reactions: Kirisin and Edgewater
Patricia48 said:
Pattie
I have been slowly working though and into the VA system and mid-December, I go in to define the level and then the equipment. With all the things that the VA does kind of good, hearing aids they are excellent at!

geka said:
Sorry to hear it caused ear infections. A friend of mine told me he’s had ear infections too,I’ve going to a follow up appointment next week, definitely on my list of questions for my doctor
99% is clearing your ears and the equipment as per directions!!

Back