Do you think there's a reason, on average, that boys potty train later than girls?

PurpleScorpion

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Other
Obviously every kid is different, there are bound to be boys who are ready very early, at 20 months, and girls who put it off until they're almost four-but on average, boys train about 2 months later than girls. What do you think causes that? Why is it?

Yup, I am certain there is. But what exactly that is, I do not know.

Maybe its the whole scary thought of being taught to pee in the toilet while standing up instead of sitting down?

Reactions: littledub1955 and DLForever99999
Boys often want to be on the go, compared to girls. Girls will often sit down and play with toys where as boys will switch between lots of different things and are more energetic, more rough and tumble etc. Boys brains are different to girls.

Reactions: Jim100, BigKid25, littledub1955 and 3 others
Males just cope with hygiene differently, sitting around in our own soilage doesn't bother many of us. I reckon some wouldn't mind never training.
That's just my two bitcoin.

And I'm not back.
-
BW.

Reactions: CookieMonstah
To even things out, because women usually go back into nappies earlier as they get older ;)

Reactions: Jim100, TheOddSunflower and littledub1955
I am a boy. According to my parents, I was potty trained at around two. I think combining the smaller attention span, difficulty sitting still, having to also learn to go standing up, and higher tolerance to wet/messy diapers, boys can take longer to train on average.

Reactions: littledub1955, BobbiSueEllen and CookieMonstah
As a trans girl, who was born male, I was not potty trained until I was 4. I'm autistic though, so I'm not sure if I am the greatest to judge that by. My little brother though was also not potty trained until he was 4. He wore Pull Ups for like a year and just used them as diapers. I also used Pull Ups, but I don't know for how long. I'm not sure if my little brother is neurodiverse though. Sometimes I think he may be, but my dad's side of the family he is on doesn't think as much about autism and things. As for me though, I have no idea why I trained so late. It could've been a lack of care, or possibly hesitancy from me or not being ready. I was told I was scared of the toilet. From my remembering, I may have just been content with my diapers. I remember wishing deep down I could go back to them at a young age. It's complicated though.

Reactions: littledub1955 and BobbiSueEllen
LittleJ123 said:
I am a boy. According to my parents, I was potty trained at around two. I think combining the smaller attention span, difficulty sitting still, having to also learn to go standing up, and higher tolerance to wet/messy diapers, boys can take longer to train on average.
I didn’t learn to go in the toilet standing up until I was at least four (maybe even four-and-a-half) when my father showed me how. The economy in the late 70s wasn’t that good and my father was usually working. That was his first chance to demonstrate this particular skill.

I don’t think this effected my training all that much, though, since my mother was able to show me how to aim down when I was sitting by moving my hand into the correct position when I was sitting on the potty chair, and later on the big toilet.

The difficulties I had with training were a combination of complications associated with being born prematurely, combined with often getting too wrapped up in whatever I was doing.

Also, I don’t think accidents started to bother me (in an emotional sense) until at least my fourth birthday. Diaper rash was more of an inconvenience. I was actually changed as soon as possible, but due to my sensitive skin and a tendency to get rashes easily I still had a lot of rashes. It was probably this, and not sadness or embarrassment that was the deciding factor in my training.

I wore diapers until the age of 6

Reactions: Jim100, littledub1955 and BobbiSueEllen
I'm a boy and my parents love bringing up that "I wasn't out of diapers till I was 4" >////<. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to get brought up as much anymore, it always makes me feel sooooo embarrassed. I remember I wanted to be put back into diapers the second I was taken out of them lol, although I hid that fact and didn't admit it.

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling it probably mostly has to do with the different types of energy, attention span, and way physical feelings are processed by boys compared to girls. I could be mistaken, but I think I read somewhere that the male anatomy can also play a role in potentially causing incontinence related issues. Specifically the prostate can create pressure and/or obstruct the bladder or urethra and the way our, um, well, balls form/develop causes our pelvic floor to be weaker than females which is why generally hernias are more common in males than females.

I could be totally 100% wrong so take what i say with a grain of salt. Interesting thread question though!

Reactions: Jim100
I asked my mom about when I was first out of diapers and she said sometime around 2 years of age. I think I asked her this when I was around 5 and going to kindergarten but then again I was back into training underwear and plastic underpants then for nighttime bw but I did not equate this as to being in actual baby diapers. During the day I had no control problems. I think I was potty trained typical / early since my older brother was 3 years ahead of me so seeing him at age 5 using the toilet when I was only 2 probably spurned me forward to be a big boy like him. Then again, I wore his plastic underpants that were handed down to me and I did see his plastic underpants he wore at age 7 going to bed one night with just his pp on and a pj top in the summer (I was 4) so I thought nothing about it since I was wearing pp and training underwear at that time also. Other than nocturnal enuresis, my brother & I were potty trained both around age 2 - 3.

As someone with boy parts, one of my favoritest parts of wearing diapers is how they constantly tickle me when I move, it's one incentive that keeps me in diapers. I love it! I know that people with real girl parts have their tickly parts deeper inside so they don't get the same fun...I wonder if, to them, diapers are so pedestrian as to make getting out of them a welcome event...

Also, being I got "clipped" at birth, I wonder if being clipped makes things more tickly than if unclipped. Prob is, there are very few people who were "trimmed" at an age which affords them the knowledge of the difference...but regardless, I love being tickled by diapers and consider it a very sweet dividend. 🥰🥴🤭

• Love
Reactions: Sidewinder, farminlittle, littledub1955 and 3 others
BobbiSueEllen said:
As someone with boy parts, one of my favoritest parts of wearing diapers is how they constantly tickle me when I move, it's one incentive that keeps me in diapers. I love it! I know that people with real girl parts have their tickly parts deeper inside so they don't get the same fun...I wonder if, to them, diapers are so pedestrian as to make getting out of them a welcome event...

Also, being I got "clipped" at birth, I wonder if being clipped makes things more tickly than if unclipped. Prob is, there are very few people who were "trimmed" at an age which affords them the knowledge of the difference...but regardless, I love being tickled by diapers and consider it a very sweet dividend. 🥰🥴🤭
I actually love the feeling also. The tickle feels great. I was also done at birth, albeit I don't know if it makes a difference either. Also I like it kinda especially being trans with the padding helping to conceal my parts. The only part I don't like about it though is when I lose control of my feelings from too much irritation after some time of having used my diaper. I need to learn how to control that better or just enjoy it.

• Love
I think it somewhat have to deal with outdated generalizations As people think that girls develop way faster than boys. Although frankly I don't think that's the case because I was potty trained way later than usual, even for boys. This was because I had developmental delays from my autism. So I think people usually think about that towards neurotypical boys and girls, but not for those who have disabilities (especially autism).

Reactions: Jim100, littledub1955 and BobbiSueEllen
BobbiSueEllen said:

I had to go into the hospital for circumcision at around age 4, but I can’t speak to what my diaper felt like against my “unclipped” weenie (actually I preferred the feeling of my plastic pants against my tush and peepee). The doctor thought that it would cure the pain that I was having when urinating but all I remember is the steel frame that the nurses used to keep the sheets off my sore little peepee. All things considered I believe that I would’ve preferred to be “clipped” shortly after birth.

PurpleScorpion said:
Obviously every kid is different, there are bound to be boys who are ready very early, at 20 months, and girls who put it off until they're almost four-but on average, boys train about 2 months later than girls. What do you think causes that? Why is it?
It's not just potty training.
In my experience, little boys are clingy and do everything in their power to stay attached to mommy. They are hard to ween, hard to introduce solid foods to, hard to get to sleep in their own bed, hard to potty train. Doing each of those things means less attention from mommy.
Which likely explains why there are far more male age-players than female.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim100, littledub1955 and CookieMonstah
Potty training never worked always have had bladder problems pullups and goodnites but leak sometimes pretty much 24 7 depends dont fit or feel right I'm small 26 in waist I'm considering diapers any recommendations

I’m surprised nobody brought this up but I deal with psychology so I don’t know. Anyway, there’s actually a completely solid answer to this. Girls simply mature faster than boys on average. That means they develop faster, are usually off of baby items sooner, hit puberty *much* faster, and things like that. That’s a trait that goes back a long long time so that females could start breeding sooner.

BobbiSueEllen said:

So u have both female and male parts? 🤔 how what does that even how does that work what does it look like? Just curious never met anyone with both

furry121 said:
So u have both female and male parts? 🤔 how what does that even how does that work what does it look like? Just curious never met anyone with both
I am biologically male, but identify as agender & asexual. I dress and act as a sissy toddler girl. Hopefully, this clears the air some. 🧸🍼🎀🥳

Reactions: Safari, littledub1955 and Weatheronthe8s
Back