Do you order plastic pants a size up for diaper bulk or true to waist size?

LittleBoyCuddles

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
I am looking at ordering directly from the official Rearz website and when I measure myself I thought I would be a 34, maybe a 36 at most, I was very surprised that my measurements say 39-40 inches. Not sure how this happened :think:

In any case, that puts me on edge of the medium size plastic pants, so now I don't know if I should order the medium or the large. What has been your experiences with this? Do you order true to waist size? Does that allow for the diaper bulk? I am afraid that if I order the large that they might be too loose at the waistband.

You have to be careful, if you order them too big they will likely be too big at the waist the legs or both.

Reactions: LittleBoyCuddles, Howler, Cottontail and 1 other person
I feel like unless you're wearing like a super boosted diaper, the bagginess of the panties themselves should contain the bulk of the diaper without stretching the elastics out.

Last edited:
Reactions: LittleBoyCuddles, Howler and Jorelaxed
I should also add that this is the first time I am buying an "Omutsu Bulky Cloth Diaper", so I intend on using this over the top. I have never owned one of these preformed cotton diapers before so this will be new ground for me and I am pretty excited.

Last edited:
You shouldn't neglect the size of the leg openings - for some of us that's more important than the waist size.

Reactions: Babybike2, ade and LittleBoyCuddles
Yes, leg opening size is more important. Measure your leg where the pants elastics will be firmly tight up toward the crotch.
I generally order slightly larger to accommodate a bulky cloth diaper. Pants too small tend to rip, tear, or separate more easily. It is ok to have slightly bigger plastic pants.

Reactions: Babybike2, BobbiSueEllen and LittleBoyCuddles
I normally order the correct size and they fit fine over my nappy - they are, after all, designed to be worn with a nappy.

I prefer them slightly snug to slightly too big.

Reactions: LittleBoyCuddles
My waist is 34" and a size medium plastic or PUL pants fit me just fine, not too tight and not too loose. Buying plastic or PUL pants for the first time can be a little guess work.

Reactions: Angelapinks and LittleBoyCuddles
I've read on the plastic pants companies' websites to go by leg-opening size first and then look at waist size; that's what I do and always get a good fit. The pants I purchase already have a full cut to allow for diapers so I don't worry about them being too snug or too loose. I haven't had any sizing problems so far.

Reactions: chuck and LittleBoyCuddles
I don't like my rubber pants to be fit tightly against my diapers, but its important that they fit tight over my legs to avoid leaks. I wear cloth diapers and cloth inserts and I like them a little bulky so I can wet a lot without leaking. Also kind off enjoy the childish feeling I have when I waddle a bit.

Reactions: steviet, sissybaby34, Angelapinks and 1 other person
Do you measure leg size horizontally across the leg or diagonally the way the leg cuffs will wrap on the leg?

LittleBoyCuddles said:
Do you measure leg size horizontally across the leg or diagonally the way the leg cuffs will wrap on the leg?
It's traditionally done as 'thigh' circumference, so the largest measurement of your thigh's circumference (there's loads of demos online), plus add some inches for comfort and safety (countryside rule: leave no trace; or indents or marks upon the skin, in our case).
I always size up; easier to then adjust the elastics as needed (not forgetting that plastic pants should fit billowy because, along with the nappy bulk issue, plastic isn't as strong as woven fabric, so shouldn't be strained in use).

If things seem a bit off with the world of plastic pants sizing, it's because they are (there's a story). I also make my own, as needed, because of these issues.

I wear one size larger in plastic pants from my cloth diaper. The medium size plastic pant covers my small size diaper better than a small size in plastic pants.

Reactions: Babybike2, Angelapinks and LittleBoyCuddles
LittleBoyCuddles said:
I am looking at ordering directly from the official Rearz website and when I measure myself I thought I would be a 34, maybe a 36 at most, I was very surprised that my measurements say 39-40 inches. Not sure how this happened :think:

In any case, that puts me on edge of the medium size plastic pants, so now I don't know if I should order the medium or the large. What has been your experiences with this? Do you order true to waist size? Does that allow for the diaper bulk? I am afraid that if I order the large that they might be too loose at the waistband.
I found that medium diapers, needed large plastic pants, better yet plastic coated diapers seem to work just fine.

Reactions: Angelapinks and LittleBoyCuddles
If you are ordering from Rearz, here is what they said to me regarding sizing: "We would be happy to assist you with finding the correct size if you would like to provide accurate measurements of both your waist and hip."

I think that while you need to leave some room for extra padding of your diaper, you do want them to fit kind of snug at the legs in particular because you need them to hold everything in.

I usually order same size because if they are loose in the leg or waist they will tend to leak. But every mfr might be a little bit different, so go by your previous orders with them.

The ones I like best are my normal pants waist size at their largest. I like the plastic pants to be just a bit snug to help keep my diaper in place. I have 2 pair of Kleinerts DuraCool in 2X. I think these fit the way I like. I also have a pair of 3x but I find them a bit baggy.

LittleBoyCuddles said:
I should also add that this is the first time I am buying an "Omutsu Bulky Cloth Diaper", so I intend on using this over the top. I have never owned one of these preformed cotton diapers before so this will be new ground for me and I am pretty excited.
I bought an omatsu and plastic pants from rearz last year. but the omatsu diaper in the normal size you would, and with the plastic pants, go a size up. I bought a size s/m diaper and size m plastic plants. so you should probably get m/l diaper, and size l plastic pants.

Reactions: Angelapinks
diaperpatrol said:
I bought an omatsu and plastic pants from rearz last year. but the omatsu diaper in the normal size you would, and with the plastic pants, go a size up. I bought a size s/m diaper and size m plastic plants. so you should probably get m/l diaper, and size l plastic pants.
What even is omatsu BTW? A brand? A fabric type? Material? I have gone ahead and made my order now, it is in processing but no idea what omatsu even means. Still, excited to receive my goodies.

I want to say “omatsu” is a japanse term for how the diaper looks/is made. although I could be wrong. but the diapers say “rearz” on them, so I’m assuming they manufacture them. you will definitely be satisfied. I’m not a huge cloth person, but it’s the best cloth diaper I’ve ever had. there plastic pants are very high quality as well.

Back