Do people not know how to takd a Hint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Recently we had someone get into our eBay account and try to buy a bunch of stuff, we quickly cancelled the purchases and changed the passwords 2 times with them trying to purchase stuff after we changed the password the 1st time

Passwords have been changed to PayPal, ebay, and the email address hooked up to eBay

I sincerely hope they take the hint and stop digging, because if I ever catch wind of who it is and get a hold of them, it wont go well for them

Supposedly they are buying stuff from my IP Adress, but I have no clue how

I know it wasnt me or anybody in my family, or anyone we know.

any ip address can be spoofed if you know what you are doing. you should change all your passwords and don't reuse any of the old ones or use the same password on more than 1 site. Then get hold of some free VPN software or Kasperky Total security which has a secure wallet browser, password manager, anti virus and a very good vpn built in. you should also report the breaches to Ebay and paypal.

Reactions: TigerDL and babyfuntime
There are several ways "Mr. Evil" can get your login details. The most likely possibilities are:

1) Malware on your PC "watches" you type your eBay login details and sends them to Mr. E.
In this case, run anti-malware scans with Malwarebytes and adwCleaner.

2) Another of your accounts has been hacked (as PCBaby suggests).
In this case, you can (if you wish) enter your email address into haveibeenpwned.com and it will search to see if that address appears on any lists of known stolen login details.

3) A phishing attempt.
The "from" address in an email can be changed to whatever you want it to be. So anyone can send an email from "ebay.com" and make it look completely legitimate... apart from one thing. The links in it can take you to a fake eBay page. If you log in to this fake site, it will probably send your login details to Mr. E, and then pass the login details to eBay so you get logged in to the real site as if nothing happened.
So... never click links in emails unless you're 100% sure they're legit.

4) Unlikely, but if you are using wifi and have a modestly skilled Mr. E within wifi range, it's theoretically possible he could have set up a "man-in-the-middle" attack and "fooling" your computer into connecting to that, rather than your own. That way your Internet traffic can be intercepted. Login details will still be encrypted via HTTPS, but Mr. E could steal login tokens (cookies) that can be used log in as you.

One way to counter "man-in-the-middle" attacks is to use a VPN, but all that does is make the VPN owner the "man in the middle". If the VPN owner is Mr. E, then you're potentially giving away all your sensitive data, and maybe even paying for the privilege. For that reason, it might be worth looking at VPN services in countries with high accountability and privacy laws. VPNs in these countries are not always popular with people online who are using VPNs to circumvent local laws (on copyright, etc.) as they are not transmitting sensitive data, and are more worried about the authorities seeing what they're doing than Mr. E. So read the reviews carefully... What's best for one person isn't the best for all. Some VPNs are very shady... and you've got to wonder how the free ones are being paid for...

Personally, I don't think a VPN is worth it. I'd never use one to transmit important login data or credit card details... But I operate on near-paranoid levels of security. :ROFLMAO:

One of THE MOST important passwords is the one for your email account. If Mr. E has access to that, he can lock you out of your email, and change the passwords for other accounts you have that use that email address. So, (aside from financial institutions) if there's one password that needs to be long, non-guessable, and unique, it's that for your email account.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TigerDL, PCBaby and Blathers
Lol I am a paranoid bish, like so paranoid I have no idea how tech works, like if my phone is slow Ill be like OMG MY PHONE HAS A VIRUS my daddy just "hits me" and calls me stupid lmao

this is what happens when a person with crippling anxiety has no idea about a concept and jumps to massive conclusions XD

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TigerDL
Flippin' eck, Blathers! You read that pretty quickly! I clicked "post" by accident, went for the edit and you'd already thumbs upped me! You must read like Johnny 5 in the film "Short Circuit"!

tiny said:
Flippin' eck, Blathers! You read that pretty quickly! I clicked "post" by accident, went for the edit and you'd already thumbs upped me! You must read like Johnny 5 in the film "Short Circuit"!

Ngl I do actually read fast, you can thank my English teacher, we had to read these excerpts and shit and write a whole response lmao in 30 mins

Last edited:
Blathers said:
Lol I am a paranoid bish, like so paranoid I have no idea how tech works, like if my phone is slow Ill be like OMG MY PHONE HAS A VIRUS my daddy just "hits me" and calls me stupid lmao

this is what happens when a person with crippling anxiety has no idea about a concept and jumps to massive conclusions XD

Ah, I think my crippling anxiety gave me an obsession to know how all this geeky tech works so I know it's not gonna sneak up and try to kill me like the HAL 9000 *shudder*

(I totally hate phones though... and touchscreens...)

• Haha
Reactions: ElPulpo and Blathers
tiny said:
Ah, I think my crippling anxiety gave me an obsession to know how all this geeky tech works so I know it's not gonna sneak up and try to kill me like the HAL 9000 *shudder*

(I totally hate phones though... and touchscreens...)

Lmao i never got into tech personally, I was more into Biology and History as a kid thats where I geeked out on, but my daddy has some technical skills, and every time I have a meltdown he legit looks at me like I am the biggest idiot on earth.

Even tho I took way harder classes than him in HS, and passed all my exams

he likes to call me "the dumbest yet smartest person he knows"

Hey at least I am self aware.....heh XD

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tiny
tiny said:

"Dave, what are you doing"?

It may be too early to call it, but it's been over 8 hours since the last suspicious activity with no indication The Loser is on my eBay account, so maybe changing the pass to the connected email account was enough to get him gone

Can you enable 2-factor authentication? My eBay account texts me a code to login every time.
I also use a password manager (KeePassX) to generate very strong passwords, and a different one for every site.

Reactions: TigerDL
Also secure your mobile phone account. Had a buddy who’s verizon account was compromised. The hacker first ported his mobile # to another carrier. Then they did a reset password on his bank account, which since they had transferred his cell # they got the 2FA code too. Cleared out $5,000 from his savings.

Some would say that some of this stuff is an inside job at the phone companies or negligence by phone company reps to allow SIM card changes without further verification (2FA to another Mobile # on the account, and/or photo ID in the store).

I'm sure I could enable 2FA, would be a bit annoying with multiple people using the account at times, but if eBay allows it its doable

I'm starting to think they probably just got into my Moms email and used that to get into eBay and buy the stuff they wanted and then when we changed the eBay password they must have changed it again

But since we changed the email and eBay passwords we havent seen anything else suspicious pop up yet

Reactions: Blathers
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back