Diuretic Beverages and overflow IC …Any different from ordinary drinks in frequency of toilet trips?

Dandelion

PMD Dribbler
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
I’ve read that coffee , pop and alcoholic drinks are worse than other drinks for toilet trips.
For me it seems that any drink is not that much different to the frequency of toilet trips and overflow IC
The only difference for me seems to be during the morning early afternoon and during late night bedtime are the most frequent.
I suppose I should be thankful that I don‘t currently wet the bed although unpleasant dreams wake me. I am risking the dribbled
pajamas after going to the toilet frequently during the night because I can‘t get used to sleeping properly in a nappy to catch the after dribbling . I‘ve tried drinking just camomile tea (no milk added) earlier in the evening or water but I still have to go a few times and not much comes out.
I just wondered if the type of drink makes a difference or not to others in terms of times you folks need to empty?

Last edited:
Dandelion said:
I’ve read that coffee , pop and alcoholic drinks are worse than other drinks for toilet trips.
For me it seems that any drink is not that much different to the frequency of toilet trips and overflow IC
The only difference for me seems to be during the morning early afternoon and during late night bedtime are the most frequent.
I suppose I should be thankful that I don‘t currently wet the bed although unpleasant dreams wake me. I am risking the dribbled
pajamas after going to the toilet frequently during the night because I can‘t get used to sleeping properly in a nappy to catch the after dribbling . I‘ve tried drinking just camomile tea (no milk added) earlier in the evening or water but I still have to go a few times and not much comes out.
I just wondered if the type of drink makes a difference or not to others in terms of times you folks need to empty?
The truly are ...anything that's caffeine based are terrible for triggering frequent visits to the toilet ..They are stimulants ..After about 7 pm I rarely drink anything like tea or coffee or soft drink ..Even then I seem to need to wee but not as much ..Voiding at least twice helps avoid a really wet bed for some if they are heavy sleeper (like me).. Day time if I have a coffee I absolutely need to know a toilet is nearby because just one coffee with milk will produce at least one trip if not more within half an hour ... I have OAB ... and can trigger some Enuresis at night of course ..

Reactions: Dandelion
Yeah i pee so much more and wake up so much more wet when i drink alcohol than a day/night that i dont drink so if i know imma be drinking at a bar ill wear a pull up or a nighttime diaper if im drinking at home. Its why i dont drink liquor bc i know ill leak through my diaper and mess sheets up and not to add in my diabetes so if my blood sugar is over 300mg/dl i pee a ton and the alcohol makes my bladder control 20X worse

I only really notice problems if I have more than 450mg of caffeine in a day.

That sounds hard to get to on a normal day, but I drink iced tea most of the day because I actually medicate my ADHD with its caffeine.

If I'm having a gaming day with more than dual screen (!) duties, I'll hit that number pretty fast.

Funny story, my blood pressure is normal and my heart, aside from the occasional bout of inappropriate sinus tachycardia (that actually got worse when I tried to cut back), my heart is great!

weethepeople said:
The truly are ...anything that's caffeine based are terrible for triggering frequent visits to the toilet ..They are stimulants ..After about 7 pm I rarely drink anything like tea or coffee or soft drink ..Even then I seem to need to wee but not as much ..Voiding at least twice helps avoid a really wet bed for some if they are heavy sleeper (like me).. Day time if I have a coffee I absolutely need to know a toilet is nearby because just one coffee with milk will produce at least one trip if not more within half an hour ... I have OAB ... and can trigger some Enuresis at night of course ..
Yes you’re right, in the case of today for me, I only had one coffee then a morning meeting at the allotment. No problems because I didn’t have any more fluid till about 3 except a minestrone soup at the meeting. Got back home about 3 after digging and 1 black coffee sent me to the bathroom and 3 overflows immediately afterwards gave me a very damp nappy plus several similar repeats for the rest afternoon. All from a single black coffee. Btw. Running taps and washing pots in warm water sends me off to the bathroom as well often

Last edited:
I drinking more soda because of two liters bottle must drink for one day with 0.5 liter to 0.9 liter. I am not sure if my kidneys have problems due diabetes. I’ve hypertension/high blood pressure seem like my heart is temporarily painful or congestive heart failure. My heart is already weak beats. I can’t believe that I was hypertension in my medical history. My first time last year.

Tasmaniandevilpadded said:
I drinking more soda because of two liters bottle must drink for one day with 0.5 liter to 0.9 liter. I am not sure if my kidneys have problems due diabetes. I’ve hypertension/high blood pressure seem like my heart is temporarily painful or congestive heart failure. My heart is already weak beats. I can’t believe that I was hypertension in my medical history. My first time last year.
Incidentally I drank some Coca Cola yesterday. We had some spare cans from when we had visitors for dinner so I thought I would try some . I hardly ever drink soda. It gave me stomach upset and gassy belching. Tastes so chemical also. I won’t be doing that again. I don’t know how anyone can put this kind of poison into their system on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Dandelion said:
Orange juice, alcohol, caffeine makes me run much more often, my bladder will spasm significantly earlier, about half the capacity to only drinking water, so it is a huge difference for me.

Last edited:
Pino said:
Orange juice, alcohol, caffeine makes me run much more often, my bladder will spasm significantly earlier, about half the capacity to only drinking water, so it is a huge difference for me.
Yes, regarding alcohol, I mostly drink wine so it’s not so much a problem unless I have a lager . The combination of coffee and the cold weather is nearly making me go before I reach the toilet and the post dribbles are quite heavy and long at the moment . That bladder spasm you mention is something I’ve started feeling but I manage to hold just in time. All this makes it seem I may have become worse since last winter. My nappies are getting wetter whereas there used to be only dampness. I’ll have to compare with what happens during the warmer months.

Back