Disposable Pad with Reusable Diaper Cover

Eclectic

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
Over the decades, I’ve bounced back and forth between cloth diapers and disposables. And, I am usually willing to try something different to see if it works.

With the cost of disposables getting to be too much, how many of us have used a hybrid system? I’ve used lots of different booster pads with no waterproof backing. But, I don’t recall ever using a pad that has a waterproof backing. I know they exist to stick into cotton underwear for light IC. Are there thick and long pads available that you could stick into a pocket diaper cover or similar?

There used to be a baby diaper company out in the western U.S. that had a hybrid system. I think it was gdiaper. I’m not confident this would work great with my bowel IC, but I’m just spitballing some ideas here. It seems to me that someone could design an absorbent disposable pad with leak guards on the sides that could be placed in a reusable shell. When you change, you just replace the pad.

Reactions: Edgewater
Tena has a large one that practically is a diaper, also abena has one too

Eclectic said:
I’m not confident this would work great with my bowel IC, It seems to me that someone could design an absorbent disposable pad with leak guards on the sides that could be placed in a reusable shell. When you change, you just replace the pad.
I experience F-IC too. All of your ideas, I would think that you simply wear a disposable diaper. I do wear a cloth (Ecoable) diaper when I'm playing sports (golf, tennis, softball and biking). As an insert I often use a NS Eternadry contour booster even though I rarely have daytime BM accidents,
I know about your main issue is cost. To be honest my income is good enough that I don't really have to worry. For what I know, I haven't seen a plastic backed guard or type of pad that I would be confident enough for wearing. I'd suggest to stick with your normal diaper.

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater and Eclectic
I like Threaded Armor training pants with a pad. Makes a great combo for me

Reactions: EcoIncon
Im going to try one tomorrow. With underwear and In-control's silence pants medium. There not baggy on me like the large are.

I use a combination when at home. I wear a large tena comfort extra pad held in place with net fixing pants with padded washable in co pants over them.

Eclectic said:
Interesting. That pad has leak guards. I wonder how well that would work in a diaper cover like Dependeco or another pocket diaper.
I use them or similar pads in a diaper cover sometimes, usually at weekends when at home.
They work OK and gives some variation without the added washing.
If used in a pocket diaper, try to just lay them on top of the pocket to avoid wetting it all.

I have tried many configurations over the years and have had far more disasters than success. As a result, I tend to keep things as simple as possible as when one is out and about, keeping it simple works.

I select the disposable diaper based on the volume and length of projected wear, commonly 12 hours for over-night. I see daytime as needing to be highly adaptable. For me that equals cloth diapers in which I target a daytime weight, pre-folded cloth diaper with NS Trifecta diaper cover, with 3 to 4 hours of targeted wear time.

I understand my daily volume and time requirements, which work for me, which is the most important part of all of this!

Reactions: BigAl2
I used a Attends pad last night in my night diaper. I put a ton of holes in the pad with a pattern wheel. It worked great. I used one this am with the underwear and silence pants. It worked out good.

AUG168 said:
I like Threaded Armor training pants with a pad. Makes a great combo for me
I'll second this Threaded Armor or the Ecoables @greatlake5 mentioned with any of the following:
1. Poise overnight pad (or Tena)
2. A size 5 or 6 overnight baby diaper
3. Just about any booster pad.
4. Abena Man Formula 2 or higher

It's a great way to make a cloth diaper last longer and hold leaks better but save money.

Back