Disabled diaper lover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catheterboy

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Disabled and wheelchair user for over five years. Catheterised for the first time and ever since in February 2014. Nappies worn since 2012. My set up is 16fr catheter thru my penis and connected to a catheter valve then a bag high up on my right leg. Peristeen anal plug inserted most mornings then a plastic backed ID super over everything. I do leak sometimes round the catheter and also have bowel movements in my nappy. In winter I also use plastic pants. I have both male and female care workers change me three times per day. I don't have much feeling in my bottom or anal area. I have full wet room facilities. I love nappies now and enjoy the feeling of them and being changed. I like being lay on the bed naked with care workers cleaning me and stuff. I also am in hospital often and enjoy the visitors looking at me in my nappy. I am not an AB but more of a DL. Thanks for reading.

I use a 16 Fr coude i have at one time had the privledge of 26 THAT SUCKED , i am full time IC and when foley I have massive Cath blow by and have to be diapered anyway ,i am in a power chair with full TRE, a high function quad, with a high profile RoHo Quattro, knee bolsters and a five point padded body point harness gel armrests and padded everything because i get shear and pressure injury super easy, most people are looking to close if they notice I only have half of both ears due to pressure injury .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Thanks for that Tetra. 16fr is the biggest for me a 26fr must have been huge. I get bypassing too so even if I wasn't bowel incon I would still need to wear. I use a cyclone wheelchair and also have a quickie. Take care.

I'm not a wheelchair user but I do have a spinal injury (S1) and I've been using intermittent catheters for 7 years. I still sometimes leak inbetween so I still need nappies or pads as well, but the catheters are a great help, they stop any flooding and keep my nappy usage down to just 1 or 2 a day. I get the catheters free from the NHS but I have to pay for my own nappies, so that's significant.

I have very little control of my BMs either but I can feel them coming and they happen so slowly, it's rare that I can't reach a toilet in time. I can't stop one if it wants to happen but I can hurry it up a bit.

Thanks for that downtide. Hope you are doing ok. Any time I get to pool on the toilet is always a bonus.

Downtide your getting screwed,
Beyond that i will say catheters are over 3 X's the price of catheters, I get 3 cases of diapers 1 case of Chux 2 boxes of gloves per month insurance pays $457 and change .
150 catheters a month $1900 and change per month .

That's here in the USA with the worst most costliest healthcare system among 1 st world countries on the planet , with an idiot in the WH that is actively trying to destroy it, and or make healthcare unaffordable to anyone but the crazy wealthy,due to him and republiklan enablers cost are going to rise this year between 20-90% for the average person, and will include less benefits for the higher cost.

Well the NHS did supply me with pads as well as the catheters, but they were so thin and useless I was having to buy my own anyway, and it wasn't worth the hassle of taking a day off work every month to wait in for a delivery of something that wasn't working for me. They wouldn't allow me anything better so I told them to cancel it.

I also use 150 catheters a month, give or take a few, and if I was buying them myself that would cost me around £250; about $350, nowhere near $1900. That's insane. Actually if I had to buy them myself I'd buy cheaper ones, not the fancy Hollister VaPros I get for free.

Our different health services suck in different ways.

downtide said:
Well the NHS did supply me with pads as well as the catheters, but they were so thin and useless I was having to buy my own anyway, and it wasn't worth the hassle of taking a day off work every month to wait in for a delivery of something that wasn't working for me. They wouldn't allow me anything better so I told them to cancel it.

I also use 150 catheters a month, give or take a few, and if I was buying them myself that would cost me around £250; about $350, nowhere near $1900. That's insane. Actually if I had to buy them myself I'd buy cheaper ones, not the fancy Hollister VaPros I get for free.

No truer words spoken my friend , i travel the world via computer and amateur radio talking to peeps all over the globe ,and often in a conversations we will lament the failings of our version of healthcare.

downtide said:

150 Caths a month to me that seems a lot of them. Cant caths remain in 24-7 for over a week before a new one is needed? Relative had surgery and the one they had was in for quite a few weeks after surgery and had to change it each week if memory serves me right?

Yes a foley catheter can , if you get the expensive ones with silver anti microbial coating longer ,it takes about a week for the biologic "crust" that will allow bacteria to colonize .
That's for an indwelling catheter, we are talking about what is called CIC Clean intermittent catheterization,5 seperate times a day I insert a catheter to remove the urine that accumulates my IC doesnt ever empty the tank so to speak , so i still leak and occasinaly flood my holding bladder size was around 1100 ML 9+ years ago with an enlarged prostate which is why I use a coude catheter [coude means it has a pointed tip, there is a raised dot on the funnel end so you know where it's pointing to get around the prostate or any urethral occlusion,the funnel end is connected to night drain bag hidden behind a "privacy shield" on the underneath of my wheelchair ,i do this 5 X's a day the most my bladder will hold now is 5-600 ML which is still alot ,my Urologist goal is to shrink and atrophy the bladder to around 50-100 ML so I have more frequent IC voids with a lot less volume and the dysfunctional bladder will lose its ability to never empty and have stale urine in it, unlike doctors 100 years ago who said urine was sterile it's not , they just couldn't detect the bacteria in it,give those bacteria a nice big puddle of warm moistness for any length of time they will grow expoenetialy ,your bladder is a great bateria "cooker" enviroment ,growing bacteria in a petri dish is alot harder then your bladder .
So that's the major difference between indwelling and intermittent catheters .( that doesnt include Suprapubic catheters which are installed in your pelvic area and are foley catheters but not using your urethra they make a new hole , or a Mittranoff continent urinary diversion where they put a new hole usually around the belly button area and you insert the cathter there to drain your bladder , those are very popular with women in wheelchairs no need for diapers or worry about actual urethra they can seal that up well keeping a healthy vagina and reproductive ability and no leaking during sex or any activity ,of course it does require vigilant attention to draining the bladder otherwise you could do some damage ], there is probably methods that i am spacing out on but that is pretty much catheters 101.suprapubic seem more popular with men , there are a few here who have them.
The major downside to intermittent catheters if your technique is bad or inadequate lubrication (that's pretty much solved by hydrophylic cathters) you can cause micro cuts to the urethra that over time become scar tissue and you lose urethral access and have to have a Suprapubic that you place weekly or monthly , like the old saying today's solution is tommorows problem ,so the catheters you were inserting to stay healthy become unhealthy and you need surgery to restore your ability to remove waste .

Tetra said:
Yes a foley catheter can , if you get the expensive ones with silver anti microbial coating longer ,it takes about a week for the biologic "crust" that will allow bacteria to colonize .
That's for an indwelling catheter, we are talking about what is called CIC Clean intermittent catheterization,5 seperate times a day I insert a catheter to remove the urine that accumulates my IC doesnt ever empty the tank so to speak , so i still leak and occasinaly flood my holding bladder size was around 1100 ML 9+ years ago with an enlarged prostate which is why I use a coude catheter [coude means it has a pointed tip, there is a raised dot on the funnel end so you know where it's pointing to get around the prostate or any urethral occlusion,the funnel end is connected to night drain bag hidden behind a "privacy shield" on the underneath of my wheelchair ,i do this 5 X's a day the most my bladder will hold now is 5-600 ML which is still alot ,my Urologist goal is to shrink and atrophy the bladder to around 50-100 ML so I have more frequent IC voids with a lot less volume and the dysfunctional bladder will lose its ability to never empty and have stale urine in it, unlike doctors 100 years ago who said urine was sterile it's not , they just couldn't detect the bacteria in it,give those bacteria a nice big puddle of warm moistness for any length of time they will grow expoenetialy ,your bladder is a great bateria "cooker" enviroment ,growing bacteria in a petri dish is alot harder then your bladder .
So that's the major difference between indwelling and intermittent catheters .( that doesnt include Suprapubic catheters which are installed in your pelvic area and are foley catheters but not using your urethra they make a new hole , or a Mittranoff continent urinary diversion where they put a new hole usually around the belly button area and you insert the cathter there to drain your bladder , those are very popular with women in wheelchairs no need for diapers or worry about actual urethra they can seal that up well keeping a healthy vagina and reproductive ability and no leaking during sex or any activity ,of course it does require vigilant attention to draining the bladder otherwise you could do some damage ], there is probably methods that i am spacing out on but that is pretty much catheters 101.suprapubic seem more popular with men , there are a few here who have them.
The major downside to intermittent catheters if your technique is bad or inadequate lubrication (that's pretty much solved by hydrophylic cathters) you can cause micro cuts to the urethra that over time become scar tissue and you lose urethral access and have to have a Suprapubic that you place weekly or monthly , like the old saying today's solution is tommorows problem ,so the catheters you were inserting to stay healthy become unhealthy and you need surgery to restore your ability to remove waste .

Thank you for that clarification. Seemed a lot that is all.

For what it's worth, if the whole point is to try and shrink your bladder then going with an indwelling folley is probably a better option than intermittent catheters 5+ times per day.

When I had my urethral blockages, my urologist (at the Mayo clinic) was placing a standard red latex in my urethra (which was physically difficult for us both). He also had me leave it in for a full month before changing it out. Early on I verified with him it was ok to let it drain into my diaper. He said yes so long as I was drinking lots of water and changing at least every 8 hours.

I did not get any crust or buildup untill right around I was due to have it changed out anyways. I never got a UTI from it in the 3+ years I was needing catheters either. So yeah, I can confirm a urologist who knows what he is doing says it's safe to do this- if you're open to this alternative to constantly catheterizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back