Diapers that shouldn't be fluffed?

TigerDL

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
TryAgains states on their website, in their care and cleaning instructions, to not fluff their diapers. Particularly they say not to fluff them in the dryer. (I think it's fine to do the hotdog fold still though)

Do not "fluff" the diaper using machinery such as a dryer or tumbling device. In general, fluffing is discouraged as this breaks the wicking channels built into the absorbency layer of a diaper.

A few people on Reddit have shared that indeed fluffing TryAgains made them perform worse.

I know people and companies discourage using the dryer fluffing method, but the 2nd sentence about not fluffing in general is new to me.

Since TryAgains are probably built on the Tykables Animooz frame, it's interesting Tykables doesn't mention anything about avoiding fluffing.

Are there any other diapers you generally avoid fluffing, that work better un-fluffed? Does fluffing really "break the wicking channels", maybe only for certain diapers? Are there diapers that get too clumpy if you fluff them, so you have to be more gentle in your fluffing or not fluff at all?

I’m also curious to the science behind this. I regularly throw five of my Tena Slip Max Active Fit (plastic) diapers in the drier on a cool air setting for between 5-10 minutes. Then partially fold back up and place in my drawer.

It just feels better when wearing as opposed to taping and wearing a flattened pad. 😊

From what i’ve heard of tests, there is no difference in the amount of liquid that can be absorbed. 💧It is what it is, the fibres will soak up and expand provided they are not compressed by tight fitting clothing.

That said, when first experimenting with the drier, I completely destroyed the fibres producing clumping which isn’t good with too much heat and too much spinning.

Although it’s nice to put on warm, be careful with duration or play safe with cold air setting.

Interested to hear if other diapers perform better in the drier.

247 said:
I’m also curious to the science behind this.
It sounds like TryAgains already has "wicking channels built into the absorbency layer", whereas fluffing is usually done on really compressed diapers to open up such wicking channels. I'm curious if only TryAgains have those wicking channels and that's why they're the only ones to discourage fluffing. Or if other brands have them but haven't spoken out against fluffing.

Maybe TryAgains are less compressed in the bag than other brands so the wicking channels are kept open? And more compressed diapers need fluffing to open up the channels?

I tried fluffing some Confi Drys in the dryer once just to see what happens . It didnt really work. They made all the inside fluff all clumped together and uneven. So when Id put on the diaper i'd feel huge uneven clumps in the diaper making it very uncomfortable. Dryer idea was a no go....

Reactions: TigerDL
TigerDL said:
TryAgains states on their website, in their care and cleaning instructions, to not fluff their diapers. Particularly they say not to fluff them in the dryer. (I think it's fine to do the hotdog fold still though)

A few people on Reddit have shared that indeed fluffing TryAgains made them perform worse.

I know people and companies discourage using the dryer fluffing method, but the 2nd sentence about not fluffing in general is new to me.

Since TryAgains are probably built on the Tykables Animooz frame, it's interesting Tykables doesn't mention anything about avoiding fluffing.

Are there any other diapers you generally avoid fluffing, that work better un-fluffed? Does fluffing really "break the wicking channels", maybe only for certain diapers? Are there diapers that get too clumpy if you fluff them, so you have to be more gentle in your fluffing or not fluff at all?
There is some wisdom in the following song.

Pampers do melt in a Maytag dryer. Umm not sure that the “fluffing thing” is really a safe or sane process.

Just fold out the diaper, fold in half and kind of wriggle it back and forth, then put it on. If it isn’t a cloth diaper, it isn’t meant to go in the dryer.

Last edited:
Back