Diapers in today's society

JoeMusic1976

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
Everybody here in this forum and especially in this group will agree that
Diapers are very practical in everyday life situation.
I had just been through a transatlantic flight which lasted over 8.5 hours.
Of course I was wearing a diaper and had one extra with me as reserve.
I changed into some baggier jogging pants and had a longer shirt on
that would fall over my diaper butt easily to hide the fact that I was wearing
a diaper.

Best thing EVER to do on a long airplane ride!

Going through customs and immigration is always a crab shoot when it comes to
how long it will take.
This time we stood in one spot for almost an hour without making any headway.
I could people trudging around and then finally leaving their
spot in line to go to the bathroom.

So I guess my question is: In light of such a situation, why are diapers
still not commonly accepted by society as practical underwear?

What's everybody's take on this?

Reactions: ChocChip
JoeMusic1976 said:
I had just been through a transatlantic flight which lasted over 8.5 hours.
Of course I was wearing a diaper and had one extra with me as reserve.
I changed into some baggier jogging pants and had a longer shirt on
that would fall over my diaper butt easily to hide the fact that I was wearing
a diaper.

Best thing EVER to do on a long airplane ride!

Going through customs and immigration is always a crab shoot when it comes to
how long it will take.

What's everybody's take on this?

I would suspect first that it is the social stigma. Closely following that, people are disgusted by the thought / feeling of urine stuck to or touching their skin. And they probably don’t want to walk around with what amounts to a bag of urine soaked cotton.

They probably think the time saving is a wash at best or more time consuming with diapers. Most normies will assume that you change after every wetting. Also, you need to prepare each day with supplies and possibly a change of clothes in case of a leak. You have to carry this bag of supplies with you. Sure, you can have your 5 liter diapers with a booster and change after 18-24 hours... I don’t think your average person knows about this or would want to do it if they did.

I mean, look at all the medical diapers on the market for a hint at what the market wants. Low capacity and discrete. Stuff you can’t really use for long without changing.

Reactions: JoeMusic1976
Although I love them, I don't find them very practical. They are bulky and less comfortable than regular underwear. They can harbor unpleasant smells when used and leaks are a risk. In the modern world, it is almost always easier for me to find a public restroom on those rare occasions I need one than to get stuck changing a diaper. I'm keenly aware of this irony when I'm wearing all the time. It's definitely not about making my life easier, it's about less tangible rewards.

Reactions: bakukid23, Seasonedcitizen, JoeMusic1976 and 1 other person
I used to wear diapers when I was painting the house to avoid bathroom breaks.

Trevor said:
Although I love them, I don't find them very practical. They are bulky and less comfortable than regular underwear. They can harbor unpleasant smells when used and leaks are a risk. In the modern world, it is almost always easier for me to find a public restroom on those rare occasions I need one than to get stuck changing a diaper. I'm keenly aware of this irony when I'm wearing all the time. It's definitely not about making my life easier, it's about less tangible rewards.
The convenience aspect does exist in some senses... while admittedly changing a nappy takes longer than going to the toilet, a good nappy saves you at least two out of every three toilet visits. Unless you’re out for a very long time, you rarely if ever have to visit a public toilet to change. And wearing in bed is a wonderful convenience.

A lot of us find them more comfortable than regular underwear as well!

I always wear a diaper to to the movie theatre otherwise I have to leave halfway though to use the bathroom or end up torturing my self by waiting tell the movie is over

I don't think the general public even fathoms the thought of diapers, its still socially referred only to babies or the handicapped. Although adult diapers have gained attention in places like timesquare in NY for new years celebration.
For me, when its just the girlfriend and I doing something I preferred to be diapered, but that's more because its part of our relationship dynamic, if were going out with vanilla friends somewhere then its underwear for me.. at least for now.

Society simply isn’t built for diapers.

There aren’t changing tables in most establishments for adults, and those that are are rarely secluded. Most establishments don’t have diaper pails, either, so the wearer either has to put the diaper into a trash can (which can cause odors) or carry the used diaper with them (which can be unpleasant for the individual).
Moreover, most buildings require adequate bathrooms by law, so apart from medical reasons there’s little reason in day-to-day life for normal people to justify it. That, on top of the previously mentioned social stigma, prevent it from really breaching society as a whole.

falloutg123 said:
I always wear a diaper to to the movie theatre otherwise I have to leave halfway though to use the bathroom or end up torturing my self by waiting tell the movie is over

That's another situation that I rather wear a diaper than to use the bathroom.
Or a baseball game. Every time I go to the bathroom, something interesting happen...never fails ;-)

ManeWulf said:
Society simply isn’t built for diapers.

There aren’t changing tables in most establishments for adults, and those that are are rarely secluded. Most establishments don’t have diaper pails, either, so the wearer either has to put the diaper into a trash can (which can cause odors) or carry the used diaper with them (which can be unpleasant for the individual).
Moreover, most buildings require adequate bathrooms by law, so apart from medical reasons there’s little reason in day-to-day life for normal people to justify it. That, on top of the previously mentioned social stigma, prevent it from really breaching society as a whole.

I as a perfectly able adult don't really need to lay down to put on
or change a diaper.
When I'm on a plane for hours, I put the diaper on in the small lavatory
standing up without any issues.

And one thing about public bathrooms, especially on a long haul flight,
with every hour, they get nastier and nastier.
On one flight, somebody completely "destroyed" one lavatory
to the point, where they couldn't clean it up in flight and had to
take it out of order for the remainder of the trip.
Who knows what that guy had to eat...

That's when you're glad that you're in a comfy, absorbent diaper.

That's actually more the point of my initial post:
Not that there are no bathrooms, but more that you wouldn't want
to use them for various reasons: Missing something important
during a movie, sports event or concert or simply because
you don't want to lose your spot.
Or because they are just downright disgusting and all I want
to do is lean my butt against the wall so I can tape on a fluffy
diaper.

Last edited:
ChocChip said:
The convenience aspect does exist in some senses... while admittedly changing a nappy takes longer than going to the toilet, a good nappy saves you at least two out of every three toilet visits. Unless you’re out for a very long time, you rarely if ever have to visit a public toilet to change. And wearing in bed is a wonderful convenience.

A lot of us find them more comfortable than regular underwear as well!
My post was about me, not general at all. I've had many years of doing without diapers in public. While it is possible they can be helpful even to me, the vast majority of the time, they are more trouble than not wearing them. I very rarely need a public restroom when out and when I do, it's almost always quick.and easy. On those rare occasions, they're also acceptably clean, so I find the concern over disgusting facilities a bit odd. Different experiences, I guess. I also know I'm in the minority of ABDLa not finding them more comfortable but that's me again.

Last edited:
Used diaper stinks and not everyone like it. End of debate.

JoeMusic1976 said:
Honestly I don't agree with this. Though yes they can be practical in some situations, in general I don't think they're practical. There's the issues of being discreet, and the possibility of leaks, and that eventually you do have to change them which can be a task, especially since you also have to carry around what's required to do so.

JoeMusic1976 said:
Personally I don't dehydrate myself, but tend to hydrate a lot less when I'm going to be in these kinds of situations and then drink up after. Also going through security in a wet diaper could also cause trouble.

JoeMusic1976 said:
For people who wear by choice for "practical" reasons it's usually seen as lazy and disgusting, i.e. "that person chooses to sit in their own excrement instead of taking time to go to the bathroom". I don't have anything against diapers in general myself, but still wouldn't label them "practical underwear" either

Let's be honest, what we do is really not normal. It makes total sense that people not into this type of thing would be apprehensive to use diapers in this type of manner.

ColecoVision said:
Let's be honest, what we do is really not normal. It makes total sense that people not into this type of thing would be apprehensive to use diapers in this type of manner.
I can’t help but think if everyone had to wear diapers one time for some legitimate reason (post surgery or an illness, etc), there would be a lot more diaper lovers. I think most people assume they are bulky and uncomfortable. If they only knew.

Reactions: Rezzu and ChocChip
RedPandaDL said:
I can’t help but think if everyone had to wear diapers one time for some legitimate reason (post surgery or an illness, etc), there would be a lot more diaper lovers. I think most people assume they are bulky and uncomfortable. If they only knew.
Yes, there do seem to be a fair number of people in the ABDL community who discovered nappies through having a need to wear them (temporary or permanent) as an adult or older child.

Not saying that everyone, or even a substantial proportion, of people would fall in love with nappy wearing were they to discover it by accident (or by lots of accidents ;)), but plenty of people who try wearing one as an adult and weeing in it find that it's not at all what they expected, and not an unpleasant sensation (and very different to wetting your pants unprotected).

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeMusic1976 and RedPandaDL
Back