Diaper shelf life

puddlefeet

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Other
Diapers have been on the shelf since October 2022. Do they have an expiration date? I have Tykables Overnight and Rearz Caboose.

I would have to think they would be fine. The only issue I could think of is what temperature were they stored at? If they were say in a hot attic I’d think it possible that the tapes may be not as strong.

They do not have an expiration date, but they draw moisture from the air and lose some of their absorbency over time.
If the bags are still unopened, aging/deterioration will likely be minimal.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerDL and flybaby
All depends how you are storing them.
They don't really expire. If you are living in a humid environment and diapers are on a shelf over time the diapers can absorb moisture from the air.
Takes quite a while
if they are still in sealed packaging they will last years and years.

Reactions: flybaby
Here is how I am storing them. Temperature is about 20 degrees Celsius most of the year. You can't really see it, but the lockers do have solid doors.

Last edited:
you will be totally fine
you will get through those all long before anything happens to them.

• Love
Reactions: puddlefeet and db80
SparkyDog said:
you will be totally fine
you will get through those all long before anything happens to them.
I hope so! 😂

In my experience they don't typically expire exactly, but they will pull moisture from the air. I've seen different materials react in different ways; One of the brands I left on the shelf for a while developed hard crunchy bits in the absorbent material. I don't know why but when I wore them I didn't notice.

• Love
Reactions: puddlefeet
I have diapers from more than 20 years ago that still work just fine. The tapes sort of suck. Well, they suck more since they were never great to begin with.

• Wow
Reactions: puddlefeet
blueponydl said:
I have diapers from more than 20 years ago that still work just fine. The tapes sort of suck. Well, they suck more since they were never great to begin with.
What diapers do you have?! lol

puddlefeet said:
What diapers do you have?! lol
Various medical ones - older Tenas, Attends, Abenas and store-brand dips. They have been stored tightly packed in boxes so there's less chance for humid air to circulate through the padding.

I find the only issue is the tapes stick to the sticky cover, so when you pull the tape the cover comes with it.

It really does depend on how you store them. I had a package of safari diapers from I believe 2017 that I had kept and for some reason just never got around to wearing. Well tried to wear one this year and they still seemed to absorb okay but the glue holding the leg gathers to the top sheet had deteriorated to the point of If I pulled on it lightly it would simply pop open and expose the inner absorbent core. Was really pissed when I had to throw them all out.

@nightfox320 unfortunately diapers don't stay perfect forever. and 6-7 years is definitely the starting range for breakdown
sorry you had to turf your diapers.
Hopefully no more storage issues moving forward
just have to use them quicker 😉

Reactions: nightfox320
I'm not sure what's the shelf-life, but I wear vintage Attends all the time. Some of my diapers are over 20 years old. The tapes are strong and they still hold a full wetting or two. The only leaks I have are if I exceed the limits

They don't have an expiration per se but as many mentioned (depending on storage conditions) they can lose some of their adhesiveness and absorbency.

Back