Diaper Rash Management and treatment

AccidentsHappen

Disabled / F-IC / OAB
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
For those who deal with IC, especially F-IC... How often do you deal with rashes? When I have F-IC issues I am very conscious of staying clean and hygienic, but it seems no matter what, I still get a rash every now and then. Of course this generally takes some days with an additional creme to make go away. For others who are prone to this, any recommendations on cleaning and maintenance? Or just more? IDK if I can do any better!

Short of taking a shower every time, I have some foaming pump cleanser that is like a portable shower. That seems to work well but I still get whammied once in a while. Am I overthinking this? Is it just a fact of life? Or is there a better preventative out there ? Currently using welmedix foaming wash and their advanced rash creme as a daily item as needed. I use a light to average amount of corn starch applied to diaper for every change, and always wipe well even if just wet. The welmedix has replaced my desitin, I like it better.

I always change immediatly if I soil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
I would also like to know ive had a nasty rash for the last two weeks and its not going away easy. I've been washing twice a day using rash creme and an anti fungal spay and nothing seems to be helpung that much 💀

• Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and AccidentsHappen
Have a dry out time every day.

• Love
I have a prescription cream I use if its gets bad and I use desitin everyday when changing and a perineal no rinse spray and wipes but main thing that helps is a good bath and airing out. And changing quickly

I
Lilrae said:
I would also like to know ive had a nasty rash for the last two weeks and its not going away easy. I've been washing twice a day using rash creme and an anti fungal spay and nothing seems to be helpung that much 💀
Had a rash a few weeks ago that was real bad between my legs and I was using Demonize. 0.05 cream and Ketoconazole 2% shampoo which was prescribed to me. And now it is almost gone and doesn't hurt... one thing I remember is jumping in a swimming pool with a bad rash. Ouch!

• Wow
Wetshisbed said:
Have a dry out time every day.

Will do an air out session later today. Good suggestion. Ty

I also ordered some miconazole powder that has some good reviews and should be safe for in-diaper. Hoping these help. I also stopped using starch powder for now, until this clears up.

Thanks everyone for the info so far. Never had a rash fight me this hard!

Side question. Has anyone ever had desitin go bad? I think an older tube I have might be making things worse, not better. I stopped using that particular tube and things seem to be headed back in the right direction.

Lilrae said:
I would also like to know ive had a nasty rash for the last two weeks and its not going away easy. I've been washing twice a day using rash creme and an anti fungal spay and nothing seems to be helping that much 💀
Diaper rash happens for almost IC people. It's uncomfortable at best, painful as worst. It looks like you might have a yeast infection which sometimes
is difficult to get rid of it. I get these every once in a while and sometimes they just don't go away. I remember when it was killing me. It was really hot during warmer weather. I finally went to my doctor. He said it looks like a yeast infection and gave me a prescription. He said sometimes over-the counter ointments don't really help. He gave me Nystatin and Triamcinolone Acetonide cream. It worked. I always have it in my medicine box. Remember that if you're diaper dependent and your diaper is wet daily, it's the perfect storm for rashes. Try to keep your diaper dry and clean.
Sometimes you try to get something over-the-counter medicine. If it presences and it doesn't stop, see your doctor.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Diprs2, Lilrae, Edgewater and 1 other person
AccidentsHappen said:
Will do an air out session later today. Good suggestion. Ty

I also ordered some miconazole powder that has some good reviews and should be safe for in-diaper. Hoping these help. I also stopped using starch powder for now, until this clears up.

Thanks everyone for the info so far. Never had a rash fight me this hard!

Side question. Has anyone ever had desitin go bad? I think an older tube I have might be making things worse, not better. I stopped using that particular tube and things seem to be headed back in the right direction.
I.dont think they go bad , I've had Burts bee rash cream separate before on me but u just mixed it back up

Dry247 said:
I.dont think they go bad , I've had Burts bee rash cream separate before on me but u just mixed it back up
I honestly do think there's something wrong with this tube. The two times I've used it I think it made things worse. A newer tube of welmedix zinc barrier along with the same antifungal seems to be doing better now that that one tube is out of rotation. It's the only variable right now that seems to be affecting me. It's old and I'm tossing it. Ordered replacement welmedix. Hopefully I found the issue.

greatlake5 said:
Diaper rash happens for almost IC people. It's uncomfortable at best, painful as worst. It looks like you might have a yeast infection which sometimes
is difficult to get rid of it. I get these every once in a while and sometimes they just don't go away. I remember when it was killing me. It was really hot during warmer weather. I finally went to my doctor. He said it looks like a yeast infection and gave me a prescription. He said sometimes over-the counter ointments don't really help. He gave me Nystatin and Triamcinolone Acetonide cream. It worked. I always have it in my medicine box. Remember that if you're diaper dependent and your diaper is wet daily, it's the perfect storm for rashes. Try to keep your diaper dry and clean.
Sometimes you try to get something over-the-counter medicine. If it presences and it doesn't stop, see your doctor.
Appreciate your 2c, thanks for sharing. If it doesn't clear up soon I'll probably reach out to my dr. Haven't had to do this yet and didn't really want to, hoping I can kick it, still.

Thanks again all. Appreciate the help/kindness.

Sorry for being late to the discussion! But you have been getting great recommendations!

YES, there is the reality of shelf life and after a period of time passes since the container was opened, the 'active' ingredient stops being effective and the carrier can seal the effected area an it can get worst! My dear wife trashes everything after one year of being open and although I may disagree on the timing, never see that kind of issue.

Disposable diapers are subjected to the same problem of the product breaking down with time. Commonly the first thing to go is one of the most important, the glue on the tabs!! The next is the glue that is used to hold the diaper together. Depending on were their are stored, that shelve life sits out there some place north of five years.

Air out time is very important and commonly over looked. I have gone to at least twice a day and thinking about more.

Reactions: Diprs2, michaelmc and AccidentsHappen
Edgewater said:
Sorry for being late to the discussion! But you have been getting great recommendations!

YES, there is the reality of shelf life and after a period of time passes since the container was opened, the 'active' ingredient stops being effective and the carrier can seal the effected area an it can get worst! My dear wife trashes everything after one year of being open and although I may disagree on the timing, never see that kind of issue.

Disposable diapers are subjected to the same problem of the product breaking down with time. Commonly the first thing to go is one of the most important, the glue on the tabs!! The next is the glue that is used to hold the diaper together. Depending on were their are stored, that shelve life sits out there some place north of five years.

Air out time is very important and commonly over looked. I have gone to at least twice a day and thinking about more.
Ok so I'm not losing it! Good to know! I will have to stay cognizant of this going forward. I never thought this could even happen. Talk about bad timing!

• Love
AccidentsHappen said:
Ok so I'm not losing it! Good to know! I will have to stay cognizant of this going forward. I never thought this could even happen. Talk about bad timing!
It feels so great to know that you not loosing it!!
Enjoy, sanity can be fun!!

Reactions: Diprs2 and AccidentsHappen
Good to know because I have rash cream that is about a year old and opened
Edgewater said:

Reactions: Diprs2, michaelmc and Edgewater
So, after pitching the old tube, things are improving. Have been doing an air session after every change as I am able. Glad to report that things are finally headed in the right direction... this was getting really old! Lessons learned: check dates. Also do the "benfranklin" whenever I might suspect an issue arising (air bath!)

Appreciate all of the help!

• Haha
Reactions: Diprs2, Dry247 and Edgewater
Last update and product rec. The AntiFungal powder I got has been working really well! Posting it here for others since the results have been good. Using this for my morning change, then for my bedtime change, in addition to zinc creme and foaming cleanser - seems to have gotten me back to normal after a particularly tough infection. Getting clean and dried off for a few mins, then using the powder on skin, followed by barrier, then talc on diaper instead of starch, has been the winning combo. I don't use talc much for the obvious reasons, but I'm going to buy a few more containers of it for use when I get rashes. It's very hard to find now!

Thanks again everyone!

Medline Remedy Phytoplex Antifungal Powder with 2% Miconazole Nitrate

Reactions: Diprs2, newt and Edgewater
I’m glad you found something that works! The only thing I’d add is something similar to what @greatlake5 said. I go to my dermatologist every year or two. She prescribes some anti-fungal creams with a few refills so I always have some on hand.

I don’t use them daily but whenever I think something may be forming. Nice to stop things before they start. Especially since I’m in Miami and heat and humidity plus wet diapers make for some perfect rash conditions.

Reactions: AccidentsHappen, Dry247, Diprs2 and 1 other person
Edgewater said:
……My dear wife trashes everything after one year of being open and although I may disagree on the timing, never see that kind of issue……
She would have a field day at my house. I looked under my kitchen sink the other day and there’s cleaning supplies, and other household chemicals, under there that I brought with me when I bought this house 20 years ago. The refrigerator isn’t quite that bad, but you can definitely tell it’s in a divorced man’s house!

• Haha
I usually use A & D ointment nightly to prevent and Desitin on any rash that rears it's ugly head. I am prone to yeast infections, so I do keep a couple tubes of prescription creme handy, just in case, but almost never have to use it. Surprisingly, I rarely get a rash, but when I do the Desitin usually clears it up in a day or so.

On a funny side note, I saw the NP at my doctor's office a few months back for a rash on my elbow/upper arm. I had to laugh when I logged-in to my med records and saw that she had diagnosed it as a diaper rash!

Reactions: AccidentsHappen and Diprs2
So, Rashes happen despite the best care...from time to time, shouldnt be regular thing though.

First off if your wearing 24/7 you need to be using a barrier cream/ointment in advance of any rash. This can be many different options you will have to figre out works for you.

Myself, I have found that A-D original works very good and not too expensive. The biggest issue with this is it's sticky and if you get a lot on the leak guards the glue breaks down and no longer them attached anymore. So use plenty of it and just make sure it's not so much that it will "run" everywhere. As long as you have it covering the skin, no needs for gobs and gobs of it, more isnt always better.

I't also not full of medications or lots of zinc or alike. Just lanolin and petrolatum...Keeps the skin from getting wet.

Aslo as stated a break for an hor will do well too...I usually take a shower and then ly down for an hour to dry out, no diaper, but usually have a towel and pad on the bed but usually not an issue as literally just went before lying down.

So, you have a rash, then start on the zinc ointments, and goto stronger/different medicines if not fixing it.

My 2cents

AccidentsHappen said:
So, after pitching the old tube, things are improving. Have been doing an air session after every change as I am able. Glad to report that things are finally headed in the right direction... this was getting really old! Lessons learned: check dates. Also do the "benfranklin" whenever I might suspect an issue arising (air bath!)

Appreciate all of the help!
Like with food, expired medical products can serve as a useful reminder for replacements.
Back in July a mild eye infection prompted me to change contact lens cleaning solution that lapsed its Best Before date by 18 months!
Really good to see that things have been going better now though.

Back