Diaper during surgery to avoid cath?

Emily

#cuteandadorable Little
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
Anyone here ever wore a diaper to surgery to avoid being cathed? Mine will only take 1.5-2 hours, so it seems easier and less work for everyone if I wear a diaper for a few hours and remove it after surgery.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Jorelaxed
For an op of that length they might not even bother either way.

Reactions: Diprs2, Osthagen and BabyHailey1977
PCS said:
For an op of that length they might not even bother either way.
I've never diapered during surgery so if I wore a tykables overnight instead of a Betterdry, would they need to know anything about it or question me in any way about stuff? I've literally had to pee right before surgery once and that is without drinking water for 16+ hours. A diaper in these situations would have come in handy after being hooked up to the machines.

Reactions: Diprs2
I'm incontinent and for short surgeries such as those on my hanad that took about 2 1/2 hours they left me in my nappies and changed me in recovery. It's never been a problem and they've never asked about a cath instead of a nappy.

Reactions: Deleted member 58459 and nwm
I had a two level, anterior, cervical fusion in 1991 and had bone taken from my hip for the procedure. When I came to I told my nurse that I needed to use the restroom and she replied that was what the catheter was for and that I wouldn’t be able to walk because of my hip. I insured her that I would be able and that the catheter was coming out, NOW. They had two nurses to help me get out of bed and I still nearly went to my knees. After using a walker to get to the restroom I was returning and the nurse said that being as I could do that I could make a couple of laps around the nurse’s station. After about six or seven laps she told me that I didn’t need to do that much. I had to confess that I had not payed attention to my room number and with them all looking the same I was just circling, desperately trying to recognize which room was mine. After that experience I definitely would take a diaper over a catheter. A friend had surgery to remove a cancerous portion of one kidney and he said that the nurses informed him that he had a bowel movement while on the operating table during the surgery. Another reason for diapers rather than a catheter, that wouldn’t have been a problem, or probably even noticed with a diaper! Stay padded, just in case.

All: i don't have continence issues and couldn't tell them it is for this.

@Riley - you can always tell them that you are unsure of how your body will react to anesthesia. They might be partial to the concern, than to the idea of cleanup.

hoimi said:
@Riley - you can always tell them that you are unsure of how your body will react to anesthesia. They might be partial to the concern, than to the idea of cleanup.
Oh, that'd be a good thing to say then. So hospital staff really won't be bothered by such a diaper or situation?

Reactions: Mommysdiaperboy and Diprs2
I wore when I had a pain pump installed in my spine. I let them know ahead of time and they just pushed it down, so the surgeon could work.
If they are, you’ll be out a diaper. But it will make them think twice, because if there is a chance of an accident and they can avoid it, ‘‘tis best to do so.

I have worn diapers in surgery. Never been an issue. Woke up from surgery once while my diaper was being changed by a nurse

I had surgery in 2003 on my leg. I had neither a catheter or nappy/bed pad. It wasn’t even discussed.

What was discussed, was me staying the night and that post-surgery a catheter might be needed.

when I woke up from the surgery, I felt fine and was home by dinner time.

I've had a diaper on while getting surgery before ... no one seemed to care .

Reactions: dprlvr
Found out the surgery doesn't involve a cath so I can wear without issues.

always when i go to Doctors i wear a nappie and never same to mind.
i think they are used to it

When I had my hernia operation I told the nurse that handled the pre surgery checks, she said my diaper should not be an issue but the surgeon has the final say and I may wake up having a catheter inserted. in the end they left my diaper inplace and nothing further was said.

Only time I have ever had to remove my diaper is if they had to get to the area it covers (and actually due to issues I have, that's someone else problem anyway - but they still explain why it has to come off.).
And I recall once somehow it was compleately forgotten about, and the diaper was in the way - appearently, they took it off - and put a fresh one on, while I was out. Wouldn't have ever known if one of the nurses hadn't told me (I always have my own with me - and and that situation, they all know where to look for them.).

I don't know because I never really actually have surgery. I would say if you feel like wearing just do it. I am sure that it will come to a talk about how the surgery will happen and then you could mention that you would be wearing a diaper and see what will be said. And if no talk takes place just wear it and if there's a problem with that they will remove it

It will come down to what procedure your having done in all honesty. Some surgeons will be okay with it others will want a cath.

I wonder how nurses feel about diapers versus caths. Would be interesting to get feedback here from anyone who is a nurse.

From the perspective of an OR person I would prefer to see a cath for just bladder issues, much easier to deal with but if its bowel based issue then a diaper over a person hav9ng a movment on the table.

Reactions: Babydoc
Back