Diaper drying advice

OldIron

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I got myself some Rearz Omutsu cloth diapers and a cover(I take care of the cover by hand) which I am really liking.
However, I have repeatedly run into an issue while drying the diapers.
If I set mey dryer to the sensor dry(which I normally use for other clothing without issue), they still feel damp when it says that it's done. When using the timed dry, it does seem to do better, but the inside still feels damp, and I've noticed that they keep folding around so that the inside when wearing is folded inside of them in the dryer.
Am I missing something, or is this just the nature of the beast?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have the exact same diapers - and the same drying situation.

I typically use timed dry on medium heat, do one full cycle, let the diapers sit in the dryer for 10 or 15 minutes, and then dry them again for 45 minutes on medium heat.

This seems to produce the driest result with minimum shrinkage. I am typically drying six diapers at once, so there's plenty of surface area bouncing around in the dryer and plenty of heat generated. These are just very thick diapers and require more than one cycle to dry.

Put them in the dryer with something else. If you just put a small number of diapers in the dryer the sensor will kick off too early (or use a timed cycle).

Reactions: dogboy and Cottontail
willnotwill said:
Put them in the dryer with something else. If you just put a small number of diapers in the dryer the sensor will kick off too early (or use a timed cycle).
This for sure--that is, if you're not already doing things this way. With just one or two diapers in the dryer, you'll notice that they probably just end up in a clump, get carried up the side of the drum, and then plop back to the bottom with a thud. They don't spend much time actually tumbling with air moving all around them.

Having other stuff in the dryer (to help with tumbling) also keeps your diapers soft. When they're just in a clump, they'll tend to stiffen.

Last edited:
Thank you.
The medium heat combined with towels did the trick.
One run with the sensor coupled with a second timed run for 30 minutes did the trick perfectly.

I never did realize that a tumble dryer works better with more in it.

Back