Diaper advice for bowel IC

JourneyBear

Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Hello friends, been a spell since I was on here last. I was hoping to reach out to ya'll and ask for recommendations on a good diaper for bowel incontinence. I suffer from IBS from time to time and have had the occasional accident. (generally due to diet, been trying to be more mindful of that lately, but I love tacos too much) I'm currently using the xp5000 from xpmedical but they are quite bulky. I would prefer a pull-up style diaper, but I doubt any would do well to contain anything.

So, based from your experience what brand of diaper (or pull-up if any) does well for #2 accidents and is comfortable to wear?

I would greatly appreciate your advice and recommendations.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jorelaxed
You need a diaper with very tall internal standing leak guards (in addition to good leg gathers. MegaMax and BetterDry are good examples. I am bowel incontinent and can vouch that these diapers will work.

If you want something less bulky, try BetterDry Day. It is identical to the regular BetterDry with its excellent internal leak guards, but less absorbent.

Of course, a diaper cover (plastic pants) are a necessity.

—John

Reactions: MegaLugia, Neroforte, cantwait and 2 others
jdinvirginia said:
You need a diaper with very tall internal standing leak guards (in addition to good leg gathers. MegaMax and BetterDry are good examples. I am bowel incontinent and can vouch that these diapers will work.

If you want something less bulky, try BetterDry Day. It is identical to the regular BetterDry with its excellent internal leak guards, but less absorbent.

Of course, a diaper cover (plastic pants) are a necessity.

—John
Thank you, jdinvirginia. I've been tempted to try out the BetterDry brand, and now I believe I will since you suggested them. The MegaMax sound promising too.

I hadn't considered using a diaper cover. Any recommendations for one of those?

Reactions: MegaLugia, Neroforte and Jorelaxed
I just bought Northshore brand plastic pants. I think there the best quality for the prise. They're supper soft and have hi quality legcufs that havnt caused me any chafing. Maybe give them a try or look for a tab about plastic pants on the site. Best of luck.

Reactions: Neroforte and JourneyBear
JouorneyBear, you will receive many differing recommendations for plastic pants. I like PUL pants - Garywear PUL pants (Garywear Active Briefs, and Northshore’s Trifecta are two that I use and can recommend highly. Both will last a very long time.

However, if I think that I will be at a high risk of a bowel accident, I may wear plastic or rubber pants as they will better contain fecal odor.

—John

Reactions: MegaLugia, JourneyBear and Jonnythepony
Hi goodmorning JourneyBear.
I have ibs like flare ups that show up in the least convenient times.
The brands I have tested and have successfully contained the bm are Trest, NRU str8up, Rearz incontrol.

Reactions: MegaLugia and JourneyBear
I’ve had severe IBS for as long as I can remember. As @jdinvirginia said, you need a tape on diaper with leak guards. I wear Incontrol Originals during the day. If you don’t need the extra absorbency, you can try the Incontrol Essentials. Both are reasonably priced and, imho, better than Better Dry.

Last edited:
Reactions: JourneyBear
Appreciate the feedback. I'll look into the Incontrol brand too. I ended up ordering some plastic pants from xpmedical since they were cheap. If they don't work out I'll just have to spend the extra dollar for better quality stuff. Also considering keeping a food journal to see what might be causing flare-ups.

Thank you all again for the advice.

Reactions: ChrisChris
JourneyBear said:
….but I love tacos too much)….
It’s so depressing to find out that the foods you love are the ones creating the most trouble for you. I love tacos as well, but fortunately for me I live in a small town that’s too far from Taco Bell, Taco John’s, and other fast food restaurants to make regular patronizing of them impractical. As my two cents on your diaper question I’m dual ic and generally wear cloth diapers but when the logistics of using them away from home make them less favorable I use Abena Abri-Form M-4s with relatively good results (but always with plastic pants which have saved me from clothing stains on several occasions).

Among other foods, I have had to give up coffee (I like it black). I gave in and had a cup this morning after months of abstaining. Then I spent much of the morning on the toilet, to my regret.

Tomorrow I am going new dipers they are dry direct adt diapers they are made in Italy and I can't wait to try them I am going to wear them at nighttime and when I have diarrhea

I think just about any good medical diaper. Most of my accidents occur when sleeping or the morning. Rare during the day. So when I'm in bed I also use plastic pants. As for internal deodorants, I've been using Nullo for years. Very effective. I don't have diarrhea (extremely rare) but I would suggest using a larger bed pad. I have a few (~4 x 6') and it protects the bed.

I have got a new mattress protector that zips on the the bed and when and if my diaper leaks I just zip it off and I wear a cloth diaper over my diaper and two booster pads

For overnight protection

Zeke said:
It’s so depressing to find out that the foods you love are the ones creating the most trouble for you. I love tacos as well, but fortunately for me I live in a small town that’s too far from Taco Bell, Taco John’s, and other fast food restaurants to make regular patronizing of them impractical. As my two cents on your diaper question I’m dual ic and generally wear cloth diapers but when the logistics of using them away from home make them less favorable I use Abena Abri-Form M-4s with relatively good results (but always with plastic pants which have saved me from clothing stains on several occasions).
It's likely a combination of that and getting older. I used to be able to pack it away in my teens, would even eat loads of spicy food. Can't do that anymore without dire consequences.

I used to enjoy the Abena brand, but I feel like they've really dipped in quality lately. Still a decent diaper, but I've had lots of issues with them leaking through what seem like pinhole punctures in the front. Very odd.

slimjiminy said:
Among other foods, I have had to give up coffee (I like it black). I gave in and had a cup this morning after months of abstaining. Then I spent much of the morning on the toilet, to my regret.
Thankfully I've never really liked coffee enough to drink it regularly. But when I have it also doesn't settle well on the stomach, which seems fairly common for coffee drinkers. I'm able to, surprisingly, have energy drinks just fine though.

Back