Delta Adult Diapers Checked Bag Policy Europe / Iceland

DL1989

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Good morning everyone,

Has anyone used Delta’s free checked bag for their diapers when traveling to Iceland? I assume I would have no issue packing an extra checked bag with diapers for the trip. Normally when flying to Europe I will just send diapers to the hotel and go from their but Iceland is crazy expensive to have diapers shipped ahead.

Why would checking a bag with diapers be a problem? Shipping ahead seems like an expensive and unreliable solution anyway.

CanadianBurst said:
Why would checking a bag with diapers be a problem? Shipping ahead seems like an expensive and unreliable solution anyway.
Not an issue I was just wonder if Iceland did the free medical checked bag as well. Can’t find specific info on it. When traveling inside the US it’s free as long as the bag is only medical supplies.

I thought that was airline specific. I’ve flown internationally from the US and checked a bag of diapers free as medical supplies.

Reactions: DL1989
You should check directly with Delta:
"For more information, you can also call our accessibility assistance line at 404-209-3434."

Eclectic said:
I thought that was airline specific. I’ve flown internationally from the US and checked a bag of diapers free as medical supplies.
Normally in the US I just ship diapers to hotel and move on with life but last year when going to Italy I packed a diaper bag and Delta gave me issues so I had to pay the $100 each way for the small bag to fly. (Nothing but diapers packed in a small bag)

This year I’m a bit worse so need diapers at night and pull-ups during the day for a 2.5 week trip in Iceland with many day hikes so needless to say a larger bag will be needed. Just didn’t know if anyone had made this trip with Delta and has any info that could help.

CheshireCat said:
You should check directly with Delta:
"For more information, you can also call our accessibility assistance line at 404-209-3434."
Thank you for finding the number I will call today to hopefully avoid the issues last year.

Reactions: CheshireCat
Those looking to travel to Iceland in the future with IC issues I’m reading they don’t have a ton of public restrooms. I will update this thread when I get back so anyone else looking to go in the future will know what I experienced but based on this TripAdvisor seems even for those with less control issues than many on here pull-ups are recommended.

Reactions: pavment
I have flown a lot with several airlines and never had a problem with the free checking of a bag of medical supplies

I've been to Iceland and there isn't a lot of public restrooms. One reason is that even their biggest city is
quite small compared to cities in other countries.
So the amount of people isn't big enough to require many public restrooms.

I don't know where in Iceland you are going, but most people do at least go to Reykavik.
I think all restaurants, cafes, pubs and museums etc. have open toilets, so you should be able to find a place to change
quite easily. "All" and "many" is a relative term here ;)
Many places have handicap toilets (sorry if using wrong words here) too, if you need more room.

If staying at a hotel, it's probably in short walking distance anyway.

OnePiece said:
I've been to Iceland and there isn't a lot of public restrooms. One reason is that even their biggest city is
quite small compared to cities in other countries.
So the amount of people isn't big enough to require many public restrooms.

I don't know where in Iceland you are going, but most people do at least go to Reykavik.
I think all restaurants, cafes, pubs and museums etc. have open toilets, so you should be able to find a place to change
quite easily. "All" and "many" is a relative term here ;)
Many places have handicap toilets (sorry if using wrong words here) too, if you need more room.

If staying at a hotel, it's probably in short walking distance anyway.
Right now the plan is 18 nights and we are only spending three nights in Reykjavik, one upon arrival and two nights before we leave. The rest of the trip we will be in Hraunfossar to Fjardabyggd and everywhere in between doing day hikes. I’m thinking with my worsening daytime bladder especially since I had COVID I will wear a Depend Real Fit or Tena Men just to be safe. Normally when hiking it’s easy for a guy to go behind a tree but they basically have no trees or vegetation so need something as I sometimes leak especially with my heavy pack of camera gear and my drone.

DL1989 said:
Right now the plan is 18 nights and we are only spending three nights in Reykjavik, one upon arrival and two nights before we leave. The rest of the trip we will be in Hraunfossar to Fjardabyggd and everywhere in between doing day hikes. I’m thinking with my worsening daytime bladder especially since I had COVID I will wear a Depend Real Fit or Tena Men just to be safe. Normally when hiking it’s easy for a guy to go behind a tree but they basically have no trees or vegetation so need something as I sometimes leak especially with my heavy pack of camera gear and my drone.
Few trees, but lots of big rocks and rugged terrain. So there should be possibilities.
Just be careful not to piss off the elves😉

Nice plan to go light with the diapers. Big, thick and wet diapers are a pain to carry out when hiking.

OnePiece said:
Few trees, but lots of big rocks and rugged terrain. So there should be possibilities.
Just be careful not to piss off the elves😉

Nice plan to go light with the diapers. Big, thick and wet diapers are a pain to carry out when hiking.
Good to know, yeah the Depend Real Fit works well for small leaks and basically adds no bulk which is nice for hiking.

What the OP is probably referring to in the US under the Air Carriers Act medical supplies can be put in a bag and as long as it's only medical supplies that bag flys free. I have often wondered how it works for international flights that flew out of the US i hate to assume but wonder if you fly out of a US based airline and airport they have to obide by US rules but you would need to check international laws/rules for other flights. Not only would I talk to airlines but you may want to just call a disability based travel agent they may have best info. I talked to a company before pandemic it was husband & wife run company the husband was a quadriplegic and they went on many cruises and other places they did run trips but usually had best information on traveling with disabilities.

Leaving tomorrow so we will see how this goes. Should have no issue with the medical bag though I was told.

Reactions: ParaRomeo
DL1989 said:
Good morning everyone,

Has anyone used Delta’s free checked bag for their diapers when traveling to Iceland? I assume I would have no issue packing an extra checked bag with diapers for the trip. Normally when flying to Europe I will just send diapers to the hotel and go from their but Iceland is crazy expensive to have diapers shipped ahead.
When traveling, which is normally with Delta, i will have diapers and pp in either my carry on bag or checked bag. I also wear while going through screening - never been an issue - although I go through TSA wearing a dry diaper as I am afraid what a wet diaper may look like on the screen

jen1234 said:
When traveling, which is normally with Delta, i will have diapers and pp in either my carry on bag or checked bag. I also wear while going through screening - never been an issue - although I go through TSA wearing a dry diaper as I am afraid what a wet diaper may look like on the screen
I travel delta and have used the free bag of medical supplies frequently and oddly enough most the times I go through security in whatever state my diaper happens to be in never gave much of a shit aka I don't care I have flown so much while dealing with my ic I have had a few interesting situations occur but considering how often I was flying it probably works out to less than 5 percent ..and most common it's the wipes or powder or the tube of desitin that seems to attract there attention.... I have been flagged for fluids on my person a time or two one time I was soaked and the other almost dry.. but there have been a lot of times I went through soaked and nothing so I have no idea how it all works really. The most embarrassing situation was a leaky diaper on a flight back from Jamaica and it was so turbulent they wouldn't let me up ... Very embarrassing the flight crew and every one was very nice and understanding

Amazing trip, Delta did ask to see my Amex Platinum even for the medical bag but at least it was free.

For sure a restroom issue in Iceland even at popular hikes and in October the hikes they did have a restroom at were already closed for the winter so be aware of that when packing.

Reactions: ParaRomeo
Back