Councils Closing up public toilets (uk)

Dandelion

PMD Dribbler
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
  2. Other
I live in Brighton which supposedly has a friendly council but during part of the year they have been closing public toilets , and the ones in the shopping centre are part closed resulting in long queues. My partner and I even saw one poor woman wet her self because of this. I have been having to use Wetherspoons when the urge comes but will probably in future wear an extra insert and just use my nappy while in town.
Has this kind of thing happened in your towns?

Reactions: Edgewater and Constantlydamp
Public toilets have been getting closed in the UK since about the 1980s; as I recall there used to be an obligation for councils to provide them but this was lifted at some point. A lot were closed in the 80s because of a moral panic about "cottaging", i.e. gay men using them to find sexual partners (or one-night stands) at certain times; maintenance costs and vandalism were other major reasons. A lot of public loos were not nice places and were in secluded locations or down stairs underground, so they were places you wouldn't necessarily feel safest. In the town where I live, all the 'public' toilets are in places like supermarkets, shopping centres and car parks, often on the second floor for some reason or at the back of the shop, or in a cafe where you have to be a customer to use the loo.

• Sad
Reactions: Edgewater, Dandelion and Fleetwoodmac32192
When out and about it can be very difficult to find public toilets especially If you are in a strange place, not everywhere has them now !
Those that can be found can sometimes be hygienically challenged and frankly rendered unusable by our uncaring public, on the other hand a few are really good and make changing or even using them safe as well as catering fo the disposal of dead Nappies.
Locally there are one or two shops that have facilities open to the public as local amenities are no longer available.
Life was so limiting before I wore Nappies as everything had to be planned around which toilet was open.

Reactions: Edgewater and Dandelion
There aren't any public restrooms in my neighborhood nor in its proximities, except if thou goest to a mall or a bar.

I'm capable of holding my pee incredibly well, but yes, it's a big issue 😕

Reactions: Edgewater and Dandelion
Most of the public toilets in Bristol have been gone for years there used to be lots of small buildings usually next to or part of a bus stop (sheltered area with bench in front toilets either side) especially on the outskirts, most of those have now been converted into little shops or cafe's rather than just knocking them down, the closest to me is now a barbers.

Other than that you need to find a cafe or bar (which often requires you to be a customer), a supermarket or if you are lucky a smaller store. There are also toilets in the larger shopping malls here but they may also be closed at some point. It's a fair choice as due to the state of them and the things they got used for, you would probably prefer to soil yourself anyway it would definitely be cleaner and less risky.

I have been wearing my toilet when out around town for years now anyway, so it doesn't bother me.

Reactions: Edgewater, NappiedTruckDriver, Dandelion and 1 other person
Dandelion said:
Has this kind of thing happened in your towns?
Yep, years ago.
Of course, that was majorly spurred by pervs and rentboys doing their thang.
I suppose that it was the case for many towns in Britain, seeing as how McDonalds became so popular as a pit-stop (they tend/tended to have the reputation for the cleanest and safest bogs in town).

Reactions: Edgewater, NappiedTruckDriver and Dandelion
and yet I was in town today and having a behaving bladder even when I got back home.
It made up for it later though and by the late afternoon just as much wet with the after gushes.

Reactions: Edgewater and NappiedTruckDriver
Back