Guest viewing is limited
  • Guests can only view a limited number of pages. Please log in or register to remove this limit.
  • 1 guest views remaining

Coloplast Luja, male catheter for ISC

Pino

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I was called by Coloplast beginning of this week and asked if i like to try the new Luja-Catheter for my ISC. I said yes.

The package arrived the next day and they sent about 24 pieces, not just two or three. I was really surprised.

I just wanted to let you know about it, they look extreme cool and the handling is great. I have tried them out already, not all 24, but some.
Like before with the "SpeediCath Flex" i do have some problems with the tip. They use some kind of unique ball tip and for some reason that tip "pricks" me unpleasantly, i do need much more time to get them in as my usual catheters with simple "Nelaton" tip. This may be because my prostate has got an unusual shape, not like a "walnut" but more like a "pickle", forming an "s-curve" with my urethra. For the same reason i will not get any cystoscopy with a rigid scope ever again.

Has anybody experienced this kind of problem with the Luja Catheter as well?

The promised restless emptying without readjust is as said in the advertising.

I really like the design, but with this kind of tip i will not change the type of catheter for my ISC and keep the "Hollister Vapro Pocket Nelaton".

Attachments

• Luja.jpg
    Luja.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Reactions: IncontinentScholar
I was part of a marketing survey for those catheters before they came out, but I haven't tried them. The survey was all about their advertising, not the catheter itself. I already use a Coudé tip catheter with a curve, so I imagine they'd work well for me.

I had HoLEP surgery on my prostate a few months ago, and I'm able to skip cathing for the first time in a couple of years. I'll probably have to get back to it once I get more botox, but my urologist has left the practice I have been going to and it's taking a long time to get that scheduled. Maybe I'll request some samples of that once I need to cath again, if it's available in the US.

I posted about these a few weeks back, I found you have to go up to the next size up so if you were using a CH12 for instance you now need a CH14 as that then makes the tip the right size for what you are used to inserting. Prior to changing to CH14 I had real difficulty after that I think they are great catheters

I was asked if I wanted to try them, but I am happy with the coude tip cath I am using now and for the last 10 years. a box of 30 cost more than the case of 90 I am using now. Not that I pay for them as my insurance covers them.

Pongoandperdi15 said:
I posted about these a few weeks back, I found you have to go up to the next size up so if you were using a CH12 for instance you now need a CH14 as that then makes the tip the right size for what you are used to inserting. Prior to changing to CH14 I had real difficulty after that I think they are great catheters
I am already at ch16, after trying the normal Speedi Cath Flex in ch14 two years ago. That is to long to compare really, but i think it was worse back than, so maybe you are absolutely right about it, but it is still not comfortable enough.

When they phone for my opinion, i will ask for the ch18, i am not sure that size is available, to try it out.
The ch18 is really the maximum for me, it feels more like dilating than cathing, which i take as a side effect without worrying. It helped me a lot to go up from ch12 to ch14 and now to ch16, making the Botox treatment a no-brainer, because the cystoscope is ch16 either, i barely feel that now.

As @Diaperman95 said, i do not really have a reason to change, i am happy with the one i use. My insurance would pay the Luja, but i do not see the benefits from it. The Hollister, made in Switzerland, is on the expensive site either.

I do try some cheaper catheter from time to time, but until now i did not find one i really like. I could use them though, when my insurance does not pay the expensive ones any longer.

I've been using the SpeediCath® Flex Coudé Pro FR 16 for years for when I need to cath away from home (very discreet). I preferred it years ago when it was also available in a non coudé tip version. I don't have a prostate, so the bent tip makes it less comfortable to insert than the straight catheters I use at home. I'm sure my urologist will be talking to me about the Luja soon, but what I would like to see is a straight tip version.

Back