Cloth Diapers and Younger Adults

MissMummyUK

Once a Mummy, always a Mummy
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
I am well aware of the fact that many ABs and DLs in the older range (let's say 45+) tend to like and prefer to wear cloth nappies.
I am not particularly a fan of doing this just for practical reasons: the possibility of leaking over my furniture, and the difficulty for washing if you don't have a wash room. In the 60s and 70s very often people would have either a washroom or a washing tank (I don't know if this has other names) in the kitchen, for handwashing.

handwashing.png

I have then accepted the cloth nappies over a modern nappy, as a compromise. I know is not the same, but give me a washroom and this will change! ;)

Anyway, my question is, are there many younger adults who also want the towel nappies? None of them have ever asked me for that, but I'd be curious to know more!

• Thinking
Reactions: Davvyboy, Wolfman69, Edgewater and 2 others
MissMummyUK said:
I am well aware of the fact that many ABs and DLs in the older range (let's say 45+) tend to like and prefer to wear cloth nappies.
I am not particularly a fan of doing this just for practical reasons: the possibility of leaking over my furniture, and the difficulty for washing if you don't have a wash room. In the 60s and 70s very often people would have either a washroom or a washing tank (I don't know if this has other names) in the kitchen, for handwashing.

View attachment 126588

I have then accepted the cloth nappies over a modern nappy, as a compromise. I know is not the same, but give me a washroom and this will change! ;)

Anyway, my question is, are there many younger adults who also want the towel nappies? None of them have ever asked me for that, but I'd be curious to know more!
as a 90s baby, I've never used cloth diapers. I'm curious about them, and have read they are very comfortable. For me, the "added storage" of washing/drying and having plastic pants to also deal with keeps me from "taking the plunge" so to speak. Maybe one day!

Reactions: Woncrinklz and MissMummyUK
While there are few things more comfortable than a properly folded and securely pinned cloth diaper, especially one still warm from the dryer, cloth diapers quickly become uncomfortable when they are wet.

Cloth diapers were pretty much the only thing available until I was in my late 30's. Birdseye, Curity gauze, and flannel. Each had advantages and disadvantages. I usually wore Birdseye. My mom became really good at cutting and sewing Birdseye cloth to make diapers that fit me very well. She also made plastic diaper covers and cloth/plastic training pants.

Although I have considered going back to cloth to save money, I MUCH prefer quality disposable diapers. I am incontinent and wear diapers 24/7.

I guess I'm the opposite of the group you were asking about ...Old not young and prefer disposables to cloth.

Reactions: MissMummyUK
MissMummyUK said:

View attachment 126588

Cloth diapers are easy for me to use, as I wear them for comfort & anxiety. I don’t “use them” in the sense of wetting or soiling them.

I grew up in the 80's and my mom used a cloth diaper service. IIRC, you just set them out in the pail provided and they'd come pick them up and leave fresh ones.

Reactions: MissMummyUK and Freddie07601
mid 80's baby here, raised primarily in terry flats. Still love them to this day though I will admit I do prefer fitted cloth diapers over a flat for fit, comfort and ease of use, Nothing beats a well sized and folded Terry flat, some will disbelieve and disagree with this but I've had them outlast even some great abdl disposables in terms of capacity and no leaking.

Just need to fit them right, and with enough layers though obviously bulkier they can still be just as discreet as a very wet ABDL diaper too, yes it's a pain to keep up with washing but a lot easier now than when I was a baby and it was all manual top loaders.

I’m a 90s baby and while I use disposable diapers to deal with my bedwetting, I have a substantial stash of cloth diapers. I did this primarily due to the supply chain issues right after Covid so I would never be without. While I don’t generally use cloth at night, cloth is excellent at dealing with bedwetting. If you get the right plastic pants and enough layers I doesn’t matter how you sleep, back, side, stomach, you won’t get leaks.

As for washing, it wasn’t much of a deal as I had a bucket I would store about 3 days of wets in and then wash.

If we ever had to cut out disposables from our budget or due to supply I would be just fine with cloth …. Though I would still miss my disposables.

Reactions: MissMummyUK, mightytoddler and abdl86
Context: I'm a youngish adult that grew up on disposables and uses disposables primarily right now.

I will say that despite my predilections for disposable diapers I do really enjoy cloth, and I do want it. It's not as easy and discrete but it's fun and extremely satisfying in its own way. However the cloth I like doesn't take the form of the old-fashioned PVC pants and pins. I really like the diapering equipment that has come out of the modern rehash of cloth diapering...All-in-Ones, PUL pocket diapers, PUL covers, fitted diapers, liners, engineered absorbent fabric inserts, cloth/disposable hybrids, the list goes on.

Reactions: abdl86
MissMummyUK said:

Is this actually correct?

I’m right on the cusp of the main cloth/disposable switchover, having worn both as a baby. (I’m mid to late 30s).

For me my ABDL side requires disposables, and they are the main thing that allows me into little space. But I do like the idea of trying cloth, but I’d already need to be feeling little to do so, if that makes sense. And I’d need to know that should I not like them, or they leak or whatever, I had a good stash of dependable disposables to get right back on my bottom!

So I’m not against them, would like to try them… but they’re certainly not something I “need” to be little.

Last edited:
Forced said:
Is this actually correct?
It maybe incorrect, I am willing to learn about this. But I's my experience. In 3 years 0 people under 45 asked me tor cloth diapers, and many over that age. I imagine that memories have a lot to do with it.

Last edited:
I haven’t realized about the generation gap between the cloth and disposable diaper, I guess giving my age I used the second ones when I was a baby. So that’s what I’m not interested at all in those cloth diapers.

nightfox320 said:
I’m a 90s baby and while I use disposable diapers to deal with my bedwetting, I have a substantial stash of cloth diapers. I did this primarily due to the supply chain issues right after Covid so I would never be without. While I don’t generally use cloth at night, cloth is excellent at dealing with bedwetting. If you get the right plastic pants and enough layers I doesn’t matter how you sleep, back, side, stomach, you won’t get leaks.

As for washing, it wasn’t much of a deal as I had a bucket I would store about 3 days of wets in and then wash.

If we ever had to cut out disposables from our budget or due to supply I would be just fine with cloth …. Though I would still miss my disposables.
Exactly , I can’t deal with disposables at night because they leak . Birdseye diaper with two gauze fluffy liners and I never leak . I like quality covers with a wider ban both leg and waste they won’t roll exposing the edge of a wet diaper . 😊

Early 50's - was raised primarily in cloth and 'rubber pants' (it wasn't until I was older that I realized my parents used an anachronistic term vs plastic pants which they most definitely were). I have some vague memories of wearing disposables on trips and being quite enamored with their novelty. I was quite fascinated by the tapes and the fact that the tapes had backing like a band-aid (which I was given to hold on to as 'helping'). I have a very strong memory of waking up at home in a disposable and putting my hand in my pajamas and being happy I was in a disposable. After I was potty trained, I was pretty indifferent to kids being in cloth diapers, but I was always jealous of kids in disposables and I always wanted to be the kid being changed, or sometimes i wanted it to be me getting changed alongside the other kid. All this to say that I have no affinity or love for cloth diapers, but I do have a strong love of disposables especially those of the mid 80's to early 90's (pre cloth backed). I do have an appreciation for plastic pants, we had some friends of the family whose kids were about 10 years younger than me and they were in disposables and plastic pants which was somewhat novel at the time too since most folks just used disposables by themselves.

I would make two general statements - I think I am a bit of an outlier and that indeed a lot of ABDLs my age or older seem to be more likely to prefer cloth - especially folks from the UK where I think 'Terry Nappies' were common (as opposed to birdseye and gauze which were what I believe was commonly used here in the states).

Reactions: abdl86 and MissMummyUK
IDK. Ima a simp. I was born around 1995. my generation, and those before me have had disposable diapers all the way back to the 70s and back some more. I am assuming most of us have had disposable diapers bought by our parents. If im wrong im sorry, please tell me your story. So, it would be assumed by this perspective alone that we would be attached to the disposable diapers.

MissMummyUK said:
It maybe incorrect, I am willing to learn about this. But I's my experience. In 3 years 0 people under 45 asked me tor cloth diapers, and many over that age. I imagine that memories have a lot to do with it.

Interesting, I imagine that you have more experience with this than most.

Would your ‘clients’ use cloth at home as well?
I only ask as, despite being above 45, I will only occasionally dress in cloth as the clear up/laundry is a pain, time consuming and much less discrete than bagging a disposable and dropping in the bin.
I’m in the fortunate position that I have a partner who is happy to be my caretaker (so I can be open with my wearing) but I would imagine for those that live with partners who either don’t know or don’t accept this side of their OH, wearing, cloth nappies could be a problem

Last edited:
Oh yes, you seem to be in a very good place, with a partner who is understanding and even participates, one of the lucky ones!
And yes, many times is not possible when there are partners who do t know about it (any kind of nappies). Others are single and do as they please, there is a mix.

Reactions: Forced
Forced said:
Interesting, I imagine that you have more experience with this than most.

Would your ‘clients’ use cloth at home as well?
I only ask as, despite being above 45, I will only occasionally dress in cloth as the clear up/laundry is a pain, time consuming and much less discrete than bagging a disposable and dropping in the bin.
I’m in the fortunate position that I have a partner who is happy to be my caretaker (so I can be open with my wearing) but I would imagine for those that live with partners who either don’t know or don’t accept this side of their OH, wearing, cloth nappies could be a problem
What do you mean by writing clients as a quote?

I tried cloth once. I had an all-in-one from Rearz. I found them quite comfortable, and the, em, sensations were unreal. Laundering them, unfortunately, is not very realistic for me.

Sealander said:
I tried cloth once. I had an all-in-one from Rearz. I found them quite comfortable, and the, em, sensations were unreal. Laundering them, unfortunately, is not very realistic for me.
I can relate totally understand.

Back