Caution: Gastroparesis, Ozempic and Wegovy

slimjiminy

Diabetes, type-2
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I'm not on Ozempic but I know several who are. The CNN article today is a must read. Apparently the number of people getting paralyzed stomachs are rapidly increasing with the use of Ozempic and Wegovy. I have occasionally experienced gastroparesis myself due to long term diabetes and it is painful. It's something I take measures for to reduce or eliminate.

A couple of highlights copied here in case the link goes bad:
Joanie Knight has a message for anyone considering drugs like Ozempic or Wegovy, which have become popular for the dramatic weight loss they can help people achieve.

“I wish I never touched it. I wish I’d never heard of it in my life,” said Knight, 37, from Angie, Louisiana. “This medicine made my life hell. So much hell. It has cost me money. It cost me a lot of stress, it cost me days and nights and trips with my family. It’s cost me a lot, and it’s not worth it. The price is too high.”
Drug regulators say they have received reports of stomach paralysis among patients taking GLP-1 agonist drugs.

“The FDA has received reports of gastroparesis with semaglutide and liraglutide, some of which documented the adverse event as not recovered after discontinuation of the respective product at the time of the report,” the agency said in a statement to CNN.
Diabetes can also cause gastroparesis, but that typically only happens in people who have had the disease for at least a decade and chronically high blood sugars have damaged the nerves that control the stomach.
Right now, the American Society of Anesthesiologists is advising doctors to have patients stop these medications for one week prior to surgery to prevent aspiration, but ASA President Dr. Michael Champeau said they aren’t sure what the right amount of time to fast or stop the drug would be.

“When we issued this guidance, we issued it on very limited scientific evidence,” Champeau said. These kinds of studies — on the delay in stomach emptying — just haven’t been done, he said.

• Wow
Reactions: Joeysms, sledder23, Edgewater and 2 others
wow that's wild
thanks for sharing. Ive passed this along to a few people I know on Ozempic

Reactions: slimjiminy, sledder23, Edgewater and 1 other person
I'm on Ozempic. I didn't really understand how it worked before. That's scary. Thanks for sharing :)

Last edited:
Reactions: slimjiminy and Edgewater
I was on Ozempic for 90 days and believed it was not working for me and stopped! Needless to say, happy I listened to my body!
Thanks for the heads-up, good friend!!

Reactions: slimjiminy and sledder23
Doing my best to avoid newer drugs on the market in the management of my type 2. It may not work forever, but for now, diet and exercise with limiting or quitting alcohol has made great improvements in my numbers. I still cheat periodically, but it’s a rare occasion.

Thanks for sharing this and I hope everyone using this medication is ok. Completely reinforces my decisions regarding treatment of this disease and how I plan to proceed in the future.

Reactions: slimjiminy and Edgewater
sledder23 said:
Thanks for sharing this and I hope everyone using this medication is ok. Completely reinforces my decisions regarding treatment of this disease and how I plan to proceed in the future.
Apparently these drugs have been out for at least 8 years. I know it has been advertised locally over the last couple that I know about.

In response to CNN’s request for comment, Novo Nordisk, maker of Ozempic and Wegovy, pointed out that drugs in this class have been used for 15 years to treat diabetes and for eight years to treat obesity, and they have been extensively studied in the real world and in clinical trials.

Last edited:
slimjiminy said:
I'm not on Ozempic but I know several who are. The CNN article today is a must read. Apparently the number of people getting paralyzed stomachs are rapidly increasing with the use of Ozempic and Wegovy. I have occasionally experienced gastroparesis myself due to long term diabetes and it is painful. It's something I take measures for to reduce or eliminate.

A couple of highlights copied here in case the link goes bad:
ozempic is very dangerous drug. the benefits do not out weight danger. it was mean to help diabetic bring down their A1C never for weight lose. At best the A1C might come down a point example if you are a 7 it might bring you to a 6. the side effects are very bad and i see many future lawsuits over this drug. the only way to lose weight with ozempic is high dosage. The drugs company are never truthful especially when it comes to making big profit for them lawsuits are just a cost of making big profit. ozempic effects the entire digestive system from your stomach intestines bowels and urinary track slowing it down. many have gotten sick from ozempic and people keep upping the dosage hoping to increase weight lose. life is too short why shorten with drugs like this. with diabetes one has to watch what he or she eats and exercise.

Reactions: slimjiminy
so they OK that was an interesting article. But let’s all understand that it definitely looks like cherry picking. The most extreme cases to highlight. That does not necessarily represent the entirety of all the people taking was epic and the other drug which let’s be honest is a shit load of people. Like in the millions. Granted they weren’t looking for the connection between this drug and the Gastro paresis and I’m sure you have to be more susceptible to that in general for that to happen to you. Which was one of the things that they mentioned in the article, but now that people are on the lookout for this hopefully there will be some studies in the future with a lot more people in them over a longer period of time to get the shit figured out. I am not so worried about it because if you’re taking it for diabetes, the benefits definitely outweigh the risks. Now I understand why I don’t necessarily poop on a regular basis as often as I used to because the food is moving through a system a lot slower. I will still bring it up with my doctor though now that I know about this.

Ozympic had few side effects for me, dropped my A1C to normal , that’s when my insurance decided that my normal A1C didn’t need it. Also lost 20 pounds that I slowly gained back after I was cut off.

Ending up with a paralyzed stomach is serious for anyone. If that paralysis does not undo itself, then it is extremely life limiting. It's like smoking- not everyone will get cancer from it, but those that do will indeed suffer for it.

Anyway, it's a serious enough consequence for people to reconsider the risks involved.

Back