Car Seats

Wow I hate be the voice of reason. But that said I don't think any of you should be setting in a homemade booster or car seat. Unless you are under 5 foot and can use a factor made one for your size. Seat belts and air bags are taking into consideration when manufactures build theses seats for babies not to mention the size and weight of a child is not the same as a adult.. I don't pretend to understand the entire AB concept myself so I am looking through my non AB eyes. But in my eyes it is not worth getting killed trying to strap a re purposed race seat on top of a car seat just to feel like a child seat.

This is just not a safe Idea at all. I hope any of you who are doing this really think about the what ifs. But it is your life I won't beat you up about it. I just wanted to point out some of the flaws in the thinking uncase you cant see pass the idea. Stick to a play pen of highchair at home and use your cars restraint devises as intended.

Reactions: CodyBaby, WillFord384 and BabyRinny
tobid03 said:
Nothing, except it's one more thing to get out of if the car crashes.

For children, if you are beyond the height limit, most likely the shoulder straps will anchor too low. Shoulder straps are supposed to anchor at or just above the shoulder to fit snugly. Rear-facing carseats (I don't think this applies here, but anyhow...) should be the opposite, at or just below the shoulder.

Wearing a seat belt and the harness may negate this issue if you’re within the booster limits. However, I cannot unequivocally recommend the use of safety devices in a way they’re not designed for.

Also, if you get in a crash and your harness is too tight and you have male parts down there …:oops:OUCH.

Yeah, this was more just a thought I had when reading another discussion about car seats. Moot point anyway, since even booster mode would be unsafe for someone my size :p

Diaperman95 said:
Wow I hate be the voice of reason. But that said I don't think any of you should be setting in a homemade booster or car seat. Unless you are under 5 foot and can use a factor made one for your size. Seat belts and air bags are taking into consideration when manufactures build theses seats for babies not to mention the size and weight of a child is not the same as a adult.. I don't pretend to understand the entire AB concept myself so I am looking through my non AB eyes. But in my eyes it is not worth getting killed trying to strap a re purposed race seat on top of a car seat just to feel like a child seat.

This is just not a safe Idea at all. I hope any of you who are doing this really think about the what ifs. But it is your life I won't beat you up about it. I just wanted to point out some of the flaws in the thinking uncase you cant see pass the idea. Stick to a play pen of highchair at home and use your cars restraint devises as intended.

Exactly, there's so many factors to consider. The seatbelts are designed to work within very specific parameters, same with the airbags. The "home-made" idea may seem safe, but without actually testing and certifying it you have no idea. It could be a deathtrap.

• Love
Reactions: BabyRinny and Diaperman95
Diaperman95 said:

Yep. This. Stay within the bounds and design intentions of ANY safety device when your life depends on it.

I only use a car seat that I barely “fit” in at home. I’d also use it in a car, but only at home in a garage on a nice day.

Last edited:
Reactions: BabyRinny and Diaperman95
tenderbottoms47 said:
This is my new booster seat, Question is how to secure the 5 point harness system to the rear car seat. The booster seat will sit on top of the regular car seat.
This is my set up , all fitted to the anchor points with the use of the seatbelt also

In Australia we're not allowed racing seats in street cars, darn it !!
I'm going to work something out, I will make something myself from wood, cover it and it'll have nice thick padding, and modify my 5 point harness, but use a regular seat belt as well so it's legal

I would kill for this one! I fit height and weight so completely safe and then at least there is something between your legs. I actually need a booster when driving … it’s hard to see over the dash. But then people would see when you get out of car places 😬1651417433306.jpeg

Tinkerbell07 said:
In Australia we're not allowed racing seats in street cars, darn it !!
I'm going to work something out, I will make something myself from wood, cover it and it'll have nice thick padding, and modify my 5 point harness, but use a regular seat belt as well so it's legal
Racing seats if installed right just make a car safer. Especially with a 5 point. But home made safety devises are not not a good Idea unless you know a lot about the subject. They are subjected to testing and made to a standard before sold in the US. I am not saying that you are not capable. I mean I built my entire chassis on my old truck. I made every weld myself and went from straight axel drum brakes to real independent suspension with disk all the way around. I have worked several years as a professional welder prior. I would not say it is something someone should try to do after buying a welder and going to the You Tube school of welding. I have had many of my welds inspected over the years by Xray and stress test to bend or break my welds so it is not something I jumped lightly in. But that said I have seen many of hack jobs and piss poor welds in peoples suspension on DIY projects that scare the hell out of me. Just remember your life might depend on this seat holding up one day. It sucks they won't let you have them but I guess every country has their own rules.

Diaperman95 said:
Racing seats if installed right just make a car safer. Especially with a 5 point. But home made safety devises are not not a good Idea unless you know a lot about the subject. They are subjected to testing and made to a standard before sold in the US. I am not saying that you are not capable. I mean I built my entire chassis on my old truck. I made every weld myself and went from straight axel drum brakes to real independent suspension with disk all the way around. I have worked several years as a professional welder prior. I would not say it is something someone should try to do after buying a welder and going to the You Tube school of welding. I have had many of my welds inspected over the years by Xray and stress test to bend or break my welds so it is not something I jumped lightly in. But that said I have seen many of hack jobs and piss poor welds in peoples suspension on DIY projects that scare the hell out of me. Just remember your life might depend on this seat holding up one day. It sucks they won't let you have them but I guess every country has their own rules.
Racing seats and 5 points harness also require the car to have a safety roll cage installed to be legal, its there to prevent the collapse of the top of the car on the driver, I'm not sure if a roll cage is legal in street cars, even if technically they built them somehow in the normal street cars, its not as solid as the ones used in racing cars and there's reasons for that.

It would definitely be safer in a racing seat with 5 point harness, I'm thinking of a thin booster type seat, the harness would be for feeling babish but not functioning, I'd have the regular seat and seatbelt for its proper use

Tinkerbell07 said:
It would definitely be safer in a racing seat with 5 point harness, I'm thinking of a thin booster type seat, the harness would be for feeling babish but not functioning, I'd have the regular seat and seatbelt for its proper use
I wonder what a regular police officer would react seeing that when they pull you over for any traffic violation, granted the seatbelt would be 100% legal, but I'm not sure what would they think about the 5 point harness and I would probably guess bulky diaper worn under it.

Lol believe me I've been thinking about that, my public nappies are always discreet babish but discreet none the less, the harness, well I fall asleep and end up getting in awkward positions so we're trying this, my husband would wake me to hide my dummy, so they wouldn't see anything baby, I think about these things a lot

Last edited:
CodyBaby said:
Racing seats and 5 points harness also require the car to have a safety roll cage installed to be legal, its there to prevent the collapse of the top of the car on the driver, I'm not sure if a roll cage is legal in street cars, even if technically they built them somehow in the normal street cars, its not as solid as the ones used in racing cars and there's reasons for that.
You can have a roll cage in a street car I am pretty sure. If not a full cage you can have a roll over bar. Many convertibles jeeps and sports cars have a factor roll bar. I know there are a lot more rules for running on a track. Like 150mph plus you have to have a parachute. But yes a 3 point harness allows a body to fall to the side in a roll over or a impact from above. You should also wear a helmet when you have pn a 5 point or a roll bar. So I guess they only make it safer if you do all the work to go with them. I don't see why someone would want a 5 point or a roll cage in a non performance car or one they do not intend to race or rock climb in their ride. People need to take it to the track if they want to do that type of driving anyway. I am not saying I have never been guilty of racing on a street but I never made a thing of it. That and no body can say it is a smart thing to do.

But I have not had experience with track cars. But I know plenty of people set up daily drivers to run on the track and off the track. I never raced them because I do not have the money to fix what I break. LOL Maybe you can have them in a car and just use them at the track. Like I said I don't know the rules and I was not thinking about anyone using them without a roll bar on a street.

Last edited:
Reactions: CodyBaby
Mas16210 said:
Hi Everyone,

Anyone have any decently priced car seat options? In the past I have tried converting a racing seat to mount in the car, but it sits too high. I recently came across the below site which I think I may try out. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Mas16210 said:
Hi Everyone,

Anyone have any decently priced car seat options? In the past I have tried converting a racing seat to mount in the car, but it sits too high. I recently came across the below site which I think I may try out. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

https://www.rehabmart.com/post/top-5-special-needs-car-seats
This is my seat it’s green but they come in 6 colors and fully adjustable for all adult sizes . Easy to clean as well and wayyyyy comfy ❤️🥰❤️

BabyTahani said:
This is my seat it’s green but they come in 6 colors and fully adjustable for all adult sizes .
It looks nice, but the website you linked to gives a maximum user weight of 150 lbs (68 kg) for the Special Tomato Large Car Seat. (The specialtomato.com website says 130 lbs (59 kg), so I don't know what to believe). Anyway it is usable for some adults, but I would not say fully adjustable for all adult sizes.

Chess said:
It looks nice, but the website you linked to gives a maximum user weight of 150 lbs (68 kg) for the Special Tomato Large Car Seat. (The specialtomato.com website says 130 lbs (59 kg), so I don't know what to believe). Anyway it is usable for some adults, but I would not say fully adjustable for all adult sizes.
The, "as a carseat. weight limit is 5'3" and 130. As any other kind of seat, it goes up higher.

Chess said:
Yup I’m 134 I fit perfectly 🥰

Depending on one's fabrication skills, you could take out just the seat, not the backrest, fabricate new brackets and raise the seat.

BabyTahani said:
Yup I’m 134 I fit perfectly 🥰
I don't deny that, but just because it fits you doesn't mean it fits all adult sizes as you wrote.

Chess said:
I don't deny that, but just because it fits you doesn't mean it fits all adult sizes as you wrote.
Or that it's been crash tested beyond 130 pounds.

Back