Car Seats

Mas16210

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
Hi Everyone,

Anyone have any decently priced car seat options? In the past I have tried converting a racing seat to mount in the car, but it sits too high. I recently came across the below site which I think I may try out. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Reactions: tbjay and BabyRinny
Unfortunately I have nothing to add, but I do like the look of this, and would love to hear your thoughts if you do end up buying it!

Mama2Cuyler said:

I bought this for my little boy but I got it on a swap site for medical and special needs equipment. I paid a fraction of what this price so I suggest you look on different sites for used products.
I ordered one today. Do you believe it will work for an adult without modification?

Reactions: Deleted member 57387
Mas16210 said:
Hi Everyone,

Anyone have any decently priced car seat options? In the past I have tried converting a racing seat to mount in the car, but it sits too high. I recently came across the below site which I think I may try out. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

That looks really promising. It still uses the car seatbelt, so I think it would be same to use at whatever weight, as long as the seatbelt is on the user correctly.

Mas16210 said:
I ordered one today. Do you believe it will work for an adult without modification?

I think it depends on how big of an adult you are. Website says up to 5'9" and 165lbs, so I would just scrape by on height...maybe. Everyone is built differently though, so if you have a taller torso that normal, it may not fit even at 5'9".

At that point I would remove my seats and install 5 point harness racing seats to have the feeling of being in a kids seat again. I had some in my Grand Am.

Reactions: lulu22
Mama2Cuyler said:
Yes it goes up to 165 lbs but measurements are important too.
I am a bit bigger but it came today and it looks like we can make it work. We are going to give a shot later this week.

Just realize if you’re past the limits you’re probably less safe in an operating car. Also, with carseats for adult size, you have to watch out for head height and roof height.

Reactions: BabyRinny
I personally wouldn’t use anything you aren’t rated for. It wouldn’t be safe

Reactions: BabyRinny
tobid03 said:
Just realize if you’re past the limits you’re probably less safe in an operating car. Also, with carseats for adult size, you have to watch out for head height and roof height.
It utilizes the actual seatbelt of a car. The concept is a small pad you sit on and has a section that comes between your legs to clip onto the actual cars seat belt. It has a second piece that clips to the shoulder section.

Mas16210 said:
It utilizes the actual seatbelt of a car. The concept is a small pad you sit on and has a section that comes between your legs to clip onto the actual cars seat belt. It has a second piece that clips to the shoulder section.
To show what it looks like here is a picture.

Attachments

• 88743789-BBA5-4DB7-86CF-6B6C773FF736.jpeg
    88743789-BBA5-4DB7-86CF-6B6C773FF736.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 103
  • Love
Reactions: BabyRinny, babypp and osirisboi15
Mas16210 said:
Yes I do think it would it looks about right for adult

tobid03 said:
I've always wondered about this. The weight limits on a 5-point harness for a car seat are for the harness itself. But what is to stop you from using the harness in addition to the car seatbelt in booster mode?

Reactions: HomeAlone
It looks like it will feel great where the strap comes up over your diapers as u bounce along?

This is my new booster seat, Question is how to secure the 5 point harness system to the rear car seat. The booster seat will sit on top of the regular car seat.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220225-200356_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220225-200356_Chrome.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20220227-162827_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220227-162827_Chrome.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: tony2375, Rezzu and Mas16210
tenderbottoms47 said:
This is my new booster seat, Question is how to secure the 5 point harness system to the rear car seat. The booster seat will sit on top of the regular car seat.
That’s awesome. Will have to let us know how it works out.

andysetra said:
I've always wondered about this. The weight limits on a 5-point harness for a car seat are for the harness itself. But what is to stop you from using the harness in addition to the car seatbelt in booster mode?
Nothing, except it's one more thing to get out of if the car crashes.

For children, if you are beyond the height limit, most likely the shoulder straps will anchor too low. Shoulder straps are supposed to anchor at or just above the shoulder to fit snugly. Rear-facing carseats (I don't think this applies here, but anyhow...) should be the opposite, at or just below the shoulder.

Wearing a seat belt and the harness may negate this issue if you’re within the booster limits. However, I cannot unequivocally recommend the use of safety devices in a way they’re not designed for.

Also, if you get in a crash and your harness is too tight and you have male parts down there …:oops:OUCH.

Back