British people using American vocabulary

Personally even as an American I don’t really notice a whole lot of British terms online because I come from a pretty diverse area and always went to schools that had people from all over. A bit unrelated but sometimes I confuse myself and use the British spelling of certain words and I don’t even notice myself doing it lol. Honestly I wouldn’t worry too much about using British terms cuz they really aren’t too hard to figure out, besides it’d be boring if everyone talked the same and used the same words anyways. Admittedly I haven’t heard the word “trainers” be used to refer to sneakers but at that point it’s just something new to learn. I think it’s best to keep your own terms and just explain to people who ask so that more people can be aware for future reference ^^

Reactions: Happy2BeInNappies2 and geka
I'm American and I use British vernacular.

Edgewater said:
Prior to retiring I actively traveled between North America, the English Islands, both Eastern and Western Europe. As a result, I easily adjust between 'proper' English and American English, but the less common terms can trip me, like Trainers!
Sir, the BRITISH Isles....you'll upset the Celts...😱

• Haha
Reactions: Edgewater
I use the term 'diaper' on here despite being English/British.

Lethdale said:
Sir, the BRITISH Isles....you'll upset the Celts...😱
There is little to no way of not up-setting someone there. Ordering the local ale is one's only safeguard. :love:

• Haha
Reactions: Lethdale
feetintrouble said:
When I write (is "post" an American term?) on a forum such as this one, I usually keep my British words. For example, I say "nappy" and "dummy", and I expect that on this forum, most people from the USA know what they mean. I usually keep my spellings, too: I will write "colour" instead of "color". But sometimes I find myself changing certain words which I expect might not immediately be familiar to those in the USA. I love wearing trainers, and have lots of pairs, but I often call them "sneakers" when I write about them online, even though it feels really odd to do so. Does the word "trainers" seem odd to those in the USA, meaning shoes? (I only learned recently that they're called "runners" in New Zealand.)

Do any British posters "adjust" their vocabulary when they post online? And if you are from the USA, do you tend to notice British words and spellings when they appear?
I have to admit l find it quite irritating when British people pepper their posts/replies with American words. It just sounds so wonky!
And l don't mean just on this website, l mean generally. Brits can't say 'pacifier' any more than the Americans can say 'mate', or the Germans can say 'squirrel'!

• Thinking
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Edgewater
geka said:
...I bought a repair manual at the auto parts store turns out it was printed in England...
Ah! The Haynes manuals! I prefer them over Chiltons, by far.

feetintrouble said:
A stoop. As in a set of steps.
We tend to just call 'em "steps" here in the Northwest region. Never heard 'stoop' here as far as steps go.

Lordy said:
Brits can't say 'pacifier' any more than the Americans can say 'mate', or the Germans can say 'squirrel'!
Squirrel.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Edgewater and Lordy
Sissyleslie said:
German professor Christina Sanchez- Stockhammer recently published an academic report in which she discovered that the British have 546 different words to describe being drunk! 😯
Some of my favourites are "Bungalowed", "Cabbaged", "Pifflicated", "Befuggered","Blootered", "Confuddled", "Peloothered", "Ginned", "Moccasined", "Newcastled" and "Fershnickered".🤣
Bedoogled is my favourite.

Reactions: Edgewater and BobbiSueEllen
"Stuffies" is another one which is often used on this forum, but sounds odd to us Brits. We mostly call them teddies (even if they're not bears), or soft toys. People also think of the insult "get stuffed", which I think is a bit dated now.

Reactions: Subtlerustle, Edgewater and BobbiSueEllen
Back