Best cloth diapers for side sleepers

Stacy

Stacy
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Does anyone have a suggestion for a cloth diaper and plastic pant or all-in-one (preferably) for overnight side sleepers?

Reactions: Edgewater and ik02
Ecoable with double terry lined plastic pants

Reactions: Edgewater
I use night weight prefold cloth diapers. They're a little sparse on the sides where they're pinned but if you get them a little larger, you can double pin them, two diaper pins on each side. That and high back plastic pants should work.

• Love
Reactions: Zeke and Edgewater
Check out Ecoables

I use 60 x 60 Terry cloth diapers kite folded with a hand towel as a soaker with plastic pants. I have not had any leaks, but I do wake up in a soaking wet diapers.

Reactions: Zeke and Edgewater
The information provided is a bit light on detail!
As what works for one individual does not always work for others! As you can see you are already getting variation is application!

What worked for me when I was wearing cloth diapers at night was two, pre-folded, night time weight, cloth diapers, with NS's Trifecta plastic pants. I am a very active sleeper and round around near all night.

* The pinning recommendation using four pins, two per side is excellent. See Post by: dogboy

I have for years used a Journal to track how much I wet, where it congregated, with a statement about how much food and water I had, etc. You will find this document of great help when you met yearly with your Medical Team

I’m a dual ic side sleeper who has finally stumbled across something that works well for me. It starts with a night weight prefold or contour diaper followed by a folded terry bath towel as a soaker and then a folded terry hand towel as a liner. The bath towel is folded in thirds to form a smaller rectangle and then folded over on itself in thirds. With the hand towel I just use the last step. Then when I have the diaper, the soaker, and the liner in place between my legs I unfold the soaker and liner in the front and back to form a “V” with them still folded in the crotch. This makes a terry cloth trough that catches and rapidly absorbs urine in the front and keeps feces in the rear and prevents it from moving forward for my fecal ic. Terry absorbs very quickly and then wicks to the diaper which serves to hold everything in place with Snappis keeping everything snugly in place. My apologies for the repetition to those who’ve read my posting of my “system” in the past.

Last edited:
  • Love
Thanks for the replies, all. It sounds like most people use an absorbent soaker and plastic pants. Has anyone ever had success with a pull -up style diaper?

I have a couple of cloth pull-up diapers. They're convenient but they don't absorb as much fluid so that's the trade-off.

I'm not IC and don't bedwet so my opinion is limited, but the pull ups almost invariably work because they don't form fit as well as a tape/pin on diaper.

I've found with the cloth diapers I've used, the prefold Birdseye weave diaper from baby pants with pull on Gary's plastic pants work best for side wetting because even if the pee leaks through the diaper, the plastic pants hold it long enough to be reabsorbed from the wings of the diaper. The Birdseye weave can be pretty rough on the skin if you're not using lotion and powder or oil, but it's very effective. The gauze style cloth is super soft, but not effective at all for holding heavy wettings with pressure. I don't recall the performance of the twill weave, but I think it's comparable to the Birdseye with a different texture and feel to it.

I haven't tried the snap plastic pants but I'm cautious that the opening would be a great opportunity for the pee to leak out before it gets soaked up. I've tried one velcro AIO cloth diaper with PUL cover from dependeco and I was not impressed by the performance at all. It really needs an inner layer of cloth inside of it, and even then the lack of leak guards (apart from elastic leg gathers) makes it fairly ineffective.

Overnight, side-sleeping is best handled by a nighttime, pre-folded cloth diaper with plastic pants. a flat cloth diaper can be added for additional absorbency, if more is needed just double-up on the nighttime, pre-folded diaper. Keep it simple as that allows you to limit your inventory and what you stock in your diaper bag for out and about and at home.

Keeping it simple will support you over time!

Edgewater said:
Overnight, side-sleeping is best handled by a nighttime, pre-folded cloth diaper with plastic pants. a flat cloth diaper can be added for additional absorbency, if more is needed just double-up on the nighttime, pre-folded diaper. Keep it simple as that allows you to limit your inventory and what you stock in your diaper bag for out and about and at home.

Keeping it simple will support you over time!
Thank you. I love cloth dips but only if they perform

Back