Backpacking and Diapers

DarlaMixx

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Anyone wear while backpacking? I like to wear when I'm just walking, but not sure I want to carry the used ones out (extra weight!) so I'm not sure I want to wear while hiking...

Thoughts?

D

Unless you're getting through a few on a hike, I can't see any reason why the extra weight should come in to play. Just put each one in a scented bag after use, place in your backpack and dispose of in the bin afterwards.

Reactions: TheWolfEmperor
Well, if you do need or want to wear them when backpacking, PLEASE DISPOSE OF THEM PROPERLY. Even if you have to carry them to the nearest waste receptacle.

Reactions: GoodnitesXL21, Dan09, TheWolfEmperor and 1 other person
I went backpacking around India. While in Goa I seriously wanted some incontinence nappies so looked at google for local pharmacies to buy incontinence products and found a place in the capital of south Goa called Margao. I rode my trusted moped I had rented 24 miles down the scariest roads to purchase them. It look me awhile to find the store but eventually I found it and they only had one tapped nappy product, basically cheap store brand I never heard off and clothe backed. I brought a case and went back to my beach hut in Palolem and continued getting stooned while wearing these nappies. I ended up losing my camera soon after with my nappy pics I took of myself on the SD card, I was afraid that the pics would end up on the internet but think they didn't, this was 2006/7.

Reactions: neophyte
bobbilly said:
I went backpacking around India. While in Goa I seriously wanted some incontinence nappies so looked at google for local pharmacies to buy incontinence products and found a place in the capital of south Goa called Margao. I rode my trusted moped I had rented 24 miles down the scariest roads to purchase them. It look me awhile to find the store but eventually I found it and they only had one tapped nappy product, basically cheap store brand I never heard off and clothe backed. I brought a case and went back to my beach hut in Palolem and continued getting stooned while wearing these nappies. I ended up losing my camera soon after with my nappy pics I took of myself on the SD card, I was afraid that the pics would end up on the internet but think they didn't, this was 2006/7.
Lol. That’s a great story.

Reactions: bobbilly
When I was in college I went camping with some friends. Going to bed earlier then my tent mate was easy for changing into a full diaper and my plastic underpants (I would have wet the sleeping bag if I hadn't worn). The next morning was difficult because it was raining and my tent mate was scanning the map inside the tent. I only sleep in my protection and a tee shirt when in a sleeping bag so grabbing my jeans and putting them on while inside my sleeping bag so I could cover up my wet undergarments made my tent mate think and comment I was acting very strange. I gave some lame excuse about being cold so I liked to change into my jeans inside my sleeping bag. I had to go pee also so I had to dart out in the rain and lower everything behind some bushes to relieve myself. Unfortunately I had to slip my fully wet diaper and plastic underpants back on and the group decided to can the rest of the hiking due to the rain and head back to the cars. A very wet and uncomfortable hike back with wet undergarments rubbing between your thighs. The 2 hour drive back was daunting also as I had to relieve myself in my diaper a bit since I could not use the men's restroom with the rest of the gang in there. Luckily I was fairly wet from the pouring rain hiking back and my several leaks were not apparent. A learned lesson, never went camping overnight again in college. Hiking during the day was fine as I did not need any protection.

A word of caution though, do not hike by yourself as if you get an injury if can be a game-changer for you hiking out and no assistance close by. If just for fun of wearing and using, 1 or 2 disposables are not that heavy even when soaked. If you are tenting overnight in a solo tent with other friends you should be fine wearing & wetting at night but make sure you change into a dry diaper before starting the day if that is what you want to hike in. Chafing can still be an issue - I do not know about this but several folks on this forum can give you good advice on baby power, etc. to lower the potential for this & sweating in your crotch.

Reactions: Jonnythepony
Furrytum said:
Unless you're getting through a few on a hike, I can't see any reason why the extra weight should come in to play.
The extra weight comes into play when backpacking for a few days at a time. Normaly you shed weight in the form of water being consumed and sweated/peed/cooked/washed away. If you go diapered the entire time, that's water weight you now have to pack out instead of leave behind the nearest convenient bush or tree.

Reactions: 2012Stroke and Jonnythepony
Backpacking is one activity that would be a hard NO for me for diapers, and i'm mostly diapered 24/7.
between the chafing, and the volume of packing in dry padding, and worse, packing out wet diapers, no way. (I usually go on 2-3 night backpacking trips. every ounce in the pack is justified).
Day hike.. maybe.. but even walking 5-10k in a diaper, not sure i would have inner thighs left after that unless it was a super-light diaper maybe.

Reactions: Diaperdudeinmass
I hike a lot so I have some experiences to share here. I did about 36 miles on the AT a few years back. It took three days and, yes, I had to bring night diapers and pack them out (disposing of them when I passed a trash can near a parking lot entrance trail). My urge IC is bad, but on that hike I just immediately stopped, peed and continued hiking. Small leaks are unavoidable, but not the end of the world. At night though, I would have soaked my sleeping bag without diapers. I've been diapered many times on day hikes because there are usually a lot more people on those trails and it's much harder to immediately stop and pee. I plan on through hiking the AT one day, which will be a whole different story.

Spaz said:
I hike a lot so I have some experiences to share here. I did about 36 miles on the AT a few years back. It took three days and, yes, I had to bring night diapers and pack them out (disposing of them when I passed a trash can near a parking lot entrance trail). My urge IC is bad, but on that hike I just immediately stopped, peed and continued hiking. Small leaks are unavoidable, but not the end of the world. At night though, I would have soaked my sleeping bag without diapers. I've been diapered many times on day hikes because there are usually a lot more people on those trails and it's much harder to immediately stop and pee. I plan on through hiking the AT one day, which will be a whole different story.
Wow, 3 days hiking and day & night in diapers. Thanks for showing / telling your experience and how it can be managed.

I won’t hike in diapers. I don’t need them so I cant see the need. Can get very uncomfortable walking up hills, over rocks in a wet bulky diaper. Also the material in diaper will break apart and chance diaper will tear. If just Camping I will wear them.

JOCKMAN said:
Wow, 3 days hiking and day & night in diapers. Thanks for showing / telling your experience and how it can be managed.

To clarify, I did not wear diapers during the day on that 3 day hike. Only at night. I'm often dehydrated during the day especially when exercising and this allows me stop and pee when necessary.

I have a backpacking trip planned soon, camping in the wilderness. I had thought through it, and determined that bringing in diapers probably isn’t plausible. With the satellite phone packed (my wife requires that I check in daily and there is no cell phone service), there is simply no room for diapers in my pack. Decided that if I leak in my underwear in the daytime, I’ll smell like urine. Plus side is that in my woods my shy bladder isn’t a concern (nobody there so I can urinate when I need to without retention), so daytime accidents are unlikely. Can wash them in a stream and hang them up. If I wet myself sleeping, there goes the trip... Knock on wood I haven’t bedwet while camping as an adult, even while I am protected. Will see if I can get one comfidry 24/7 (wear it for 2 or 3 nights) rolled in my sleeping bag, but that is pushing it. At least I would have space carrying it out though as I would have eaten my food. The north woods (New Hampshire) requires a bit of equipment, especially in December.

Has anyone here has done north woods winter backwoods backpacking diapered?

The last time I went camping I wore the entire time. I had some beer with me so you can imagine I wet often. During the day I went through about 10 diapers (which I wet twice before I would change.) At night it put on an overnight super absorbent one and properly went in it 4 times. It was so nice to let go and ho right back to sleep. Having said this, there would be no way to pack in and out that many. On long hikes, I've brought a couple with me and tried to go in the woods as much as I could so I could reuse. I'm huge on packing out absolutely everything.

Reactions: GoodnitesXL21
Back