Back in diapers

rothpirate

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
About a year and a half ago I started having issues with my bladder, it changed from “have to go“, to “I’m going to go!”. I also notice that my thirst and urine production increased dramatically. My wife bought me pull-ups and started doing research on herbs vitamins etc. I lost almost twenty pound, diet exercise etc. It kept getting worse and I switched to diapers at night and in the car after pull-ups leaked. I was peeing out of 12 hour rated diapers by midnight and had to keep refilling my water all night. We got in to see a PA and he suspected diabetes mellitus. My blood work came back fine. We tested for ADH (anti diuretic hormone) and there was none detected. We did a 24 hour urine collection and it came back at around 10L. 2500 of which was overnight. I finally got to a urologist a month before the endocrinologist. After the normal exam and dismissing my symptoms I got really specific, he surmised that I probably had diabetes insipidus, and the chronic distension had probably injured the detrusor muscle. My wife asked what we could do for that, he said there is nothing that can be done. That was a hard moment. Further research indicated that chronic distension kills the nerves and the tiny blood vessels that supply them. The base of my bladder is shot. I have no sense of distension, hence the bedwetting, and my bladder which I believe is quite large fills rapidly. The endocrinologist confirmed partial diabetes insipidus, mri came back clean, no cancer. She thinks probably a small stroke affected the pituitary. The desmopressin has made me very sick, probably because my pit kicks out a little hormone which when added to the medication makes me very sick. So I am unmedicated and managing. The perfect storm of a rapidly filling and unstable bladder has been crazy. The trash weighs a lot every week.

Reactions: Diprs2, diaperdude, sport1 and 1 other person
Damn. I'm diabetic now for a couple years. That is being diagnosed from my primary doctor. I enjoy wearing diapers for the comfort. However I'm beginning to think, maybe I should be careful on what I wish for. I hope you get better.

Reactions: Diprs2
@rothpirate I'm really sorry to hear of your health issues. I'm sure @Pino will weigh in when he can, as he has similar issues.

I have a neuromuscular genetic disorder, which causes huge variations of my sodium level by the hour, meaning extremely heavy wetter. When I was did a 24 hour urine collection test years ago, they gave me a large container and told me to begin after emptying my bladder the first time in the morning, which I did by self-catheterizing. Seven hours later i was calling the urologists office asking what I should do, as the container was almost full. I filled 3 containers in 24 hours, where the normal person cannot fill one. So I have a very good idea of what your going through regarding your bladder, even though I do not have diabetes insipid.

I hope you find the Incontinence Forum helpful and will give you the support that you need.

CheshireCat said:

I hope you find the Incontinence Forum helpful and will give you the support that you need.
Also check out the forum http://www.incontinentsupport.org - that's dedicated to incontinence without the ABDL stuff, though it has less traffic than this forum does.

Reactions: Diprs2 and slimjiminy
rothpirate said:
About a year and a half ago I started having issues with my bladder, it changed from “have to go“, to “I’m going to go!”. I also notice that my thirst and urine production increased dramatically. My wife bought me pull-ups and started doing research on herbs vitamins etc. I lost almost twenty pound, diet exercise etc. It kept getting worse and I switched to diapers at night and in the car after pull-ups leaked. I was peeing out of 12 hour rated diapers by midnight and had to keep refilling my water all night. We got in to see a PA and he suspected diabetes mellitus. My blood work came back fine. We tested for ADH (anti diuretic hormone) and there was none detected. We did a 24 hour urine collection and it came back at around 10L. 2500 of which was overnight. I finally got to a urologist a month before the endocrinologist. After the normal exam and dismissing my symptoms I got really specific, he surmised that I probably had diabetes insipidus, and the chronic distension had probably injured the detrusor muscle. My wife asked what we could do for that, he said there is nothing that can be done. That was a hard moment. Further research indicated that chronic distension kills the nerves and the tiny blood vessels that supply them. The base of my bladder is shot. I have no sense of distension, hence the bedwetting, and my bladder which I believe is quite large fills rapidly. The endocrinologist confirmed partial diabetes insipidus, mri came back clean, no cancer. She thinks probably a small stroke affected the pituitary. The desmopressin has made me very sick, probably because my pit kicks out a little hormone which when added to the medication makes me very sick. So I am unmedicated and managing. The perfect storm of a rapidly filling and unstable bladder has been crazy. The trash weighs a lot every week.
That is how my accidents started when they became out right noticed by my wife that is when everything changed diapers became my underwear.

Reactions: Diprs2 and jonny77
For sure this forum cannot give medical advice, but for very sure everyone will try to support you handling your IC and all the feelings and thoughts you have about it, discuss protection methods and exchange and share all our experiences with our conditions.

For me this forum, although myself not being AB, DL or anything else mainly the incontinence section was a very great help self-accepting my IC, learning life is still great also with diapers and that incontinence is nothing that should prevent you from doing all the things you like to do. This all, and of course the help of my very understanding, supportive wife, helped me to head up and forget any feeling of shame and embarrassment and allow myself sometimes even to like my diapers (it's better than to hate them!)

Reactions: Diprs2, LordDuque, sport1 and 3 others
hbic60 said:
For sure this forum cannot give medical advice, but for very sure everyone will try to support you handling your IC and all the feelings and thoughts you have about it, discuss protection methods and exchange and share all our experiences with our conditions.

For me this forum, although myself not being AB, DL or anything else mainly the incontinence section was a very great help self-accepting my IC, learning life is still great also with diapers and that incontinence is nothing that should prevent you from doing all the things you like to do. This all, and of course the help of my very understanding, supportive wife, helped me to head up and forget any feeling of shame and embarrassment and allow myself sometimes even to like my diapers (it's better than to hate them!)
She helped me overcome. The stigma of diapers.

Back