Baby powder or no baby powder.

ScriptedGamer said:
What's an OBGYN? I've never heard of that term before.

An obstetrician-gynecologist, or OB-GYN, has expertise in female reproductive health, pregnancy, and childbirth.

Reactions: ScriptedGamer
I Find A little baby powder nice, I love the smell and it keeps the itch away

I love baby powder, I only with there was a way to apply it without filling the room with a discussion cloud

Reactions: RubberDucky23
I always use baby powder (Johnson Cornstarch) and recently I started using baby lotion as well. Love the smell and feeling of both.

Reactions: ScriptedGamer
For me I like to use powder as I love the feeling when it first hits my bits - all cold and just little-is - but I dot think it helps in practical terms - use barrier cream or at very least wash well and you will be fine without

Baby powder may not help with rashes or whatever, but for me, it does make the diaper more comfortable and during the summer, I'll chafe during the night if I don't apply at least once a week.

When I remember I like using a little cornstarch baby powder.

Keeps me feeling dry and smooth at least until the first wetting. I don't like to use too much though because then it clumps up and feels icky on the skin and makes a little bit of a mess during changes.

DanielW said:
Baby powder is a use at your own risk kind of thing. Talc based powders are often contaminated with asbestos, and cornstarch is basically food for yeast, so it will worsen yeast infections (diaper rash is usually yeast or fungal infection)
I didn't know this! Thank you I'll definitely keep this in mind.

I knew about talc being bad but not about potential health risks of cornstarch.

DanielW said:
Yeah, I had a diaper rash that wouldn't go away. Had to see a Dr, and got diagnosed with a yeast infection. No more cornstarch for me. Now, its only barrier creams
They have asbestos in baby powder?? No wonder why it feels so weird.

Ok so all of this leads me to another question. If and I know it has been proven so no need to try and prove it, But if baby powder was so bad for you both talc and cornstarch how is it that the baby boomer generation survived? I also know I survived growing up in diapers and that was in the eighties?

lilshelly said:
Ok so all of this leads me to another question. If and I know it has been proven so no need to try and prove it, But if baby powder was so bad for you both talc and cornstarch how is it that the baby boomer generation survived? I also know I survived growing up in diapers and that was in the eighties?

First, not ALL talc will have asbestos. Second, it appears that females are most prone to the affects if the asbestos gets into the vagina. Third this is cancer which can take years and years to become evident. Finally, not every female that uses will get cancer.

Cornstarch is bad ONLY if you have a yeast infection. If you don't, it doesn't matter.

Reactions: ScriptedGamer and Sheepies
I use a Cornstarch based J&J powder. Either the Medicated or Aloe & Vitamin E depending on what's available.

It makes the diaper feel better. It's gets a "swampy" feel if I go without. The freshly changed and powdered diaper feels amazing.

I also regularly use a barrier cream but I don't apply that at every change. The powder is mandatory.

I don't know why but it seems that I have had better luck wearing diapers if I use some kind of powder. I don't quite understand why that is. I don't seem to leak as much which don't really make much sense to me because i don't put on enough to do anything but smell good which is one of the reasons I use it. I went without powder and could really tell a difference when it came to smell. I like some of the others notice less chaffing if I have powder on.
Thank you Baby Denise for your answer although some might point out the different points here and there I have to agree with your post. I mean come on. At one time or another they are going to find something that is some how going to kill us. I don't want to get off topic because that would be easy for me to do but I appreciate everyone's input on the subject and yeah If you have anything to add I will be happy to listen or look at what you have.

I generally don't use powder or creams but I always clean up thoroughly with wet-wipes. Never had a rash. I will occasionally (not every day, but a couple of times a week) use powder after a shower, because I like how it feels, but I don;t use it every time, not even once daily.

I use baby wipes between changing. I shower every night and use either corn starch powder or a baby oil.

I use baby powder every time i put one on for years and years now with no trouble.

ScriptedGamer said:
What's an OBGYN? I've never heard of that term before.
Obstetrician/ gynecologist

Back