Autism Sensory Toys or Chewelry that also make you feel Little, to address both of my needs?

I had plastic keys myself until I was (I think) about nine or ten years old. I also seem to remember having a rattle until that same age, but I didn’t play with it nearly as much (It was much too loud unless I went out of my way to shake it gently.).

I still remember when my parents threw most of my baby toys away because (as they told me) it was time for some more age-appropriate toys. The keys were probably Fisher-Price, but I’m not 100 percent certain.

I remember that I enjoyed the sound that they made when I shook them gently. I also enjoyed sucking and chewing on them. The last straw for my parents was one day (during a thunderstorm) around age nine or ten when they came into my bedroom and they caught me shaking, chewing on, and sucking my plastic keys again. My father told my mother to take the keys away before I did something even more babyish (such as having an accident like last time). I had to be at least nine or ten years old at this point because I remember my Apple IIc computer being in that room close to where my baby toys (which I still sometimes played with) were kept.

These plastic keys probably appealed to me as much as they did because (even though my parents didn’t realize it at that time, and wouldn’t until they came with me to an appointment with a neurologist about a decade later) I was (and obviously still am) at least somewhat on the spectrum. Back then, though, my father simply thought that I enjoyed my baby toys (even at that age) because (as he sometimes said to me back then) my mother was babying me too much. They also thought I was acting this way because of the attention that my sister was getting due to being both the first-born and on the spectrum. That wasn’t actually my reason for acting this way, but they wouldn’t have any way of knowing that for another decade or so (after my neurological appointment and diagnosis).

A while back I thought about buying some plastic keys in the baby section at Target. I thought better of it, though, when I remembered that I still (mostly) had baby teeth when I played with them last time. I am concerned that I could break them if I chewed on them today (which could be unpleasant and potentially dangerous). I don’t think they are designed for adult teeth. If something similar exists for adults, though, I might consider it. It might meet my needs and the needs of other people who are reading this page.

DragonPrinceling said:
I have the cactus tubes on a couple of my favourite hoodies and on my headphone wires, and I have a couple which I move around. I also have the board pendent which is pink and blue that I would would use on a white necklace to be like a trans flag but I broke the clasp on the string a couple of months ago which I keep forgetting to replace. I also have a chewy bracelet which is green on one side and red on the other to indicate to other people how I'm feeling. I don't really use the bracelet as a chew but it has been really good for when I'm having panic attacks as sometimes I need to held and talked through them and other times I need to be left alone.

I wear my chews out because if I don't I will usually either chew my nails down to the quick, wreck my clothes and stationary or start sucking my thumb. I've had chew for three and a half years.

My little side loves all things dinosaurs so I'd love to get a chewy dinosaur pendent but I've not yet seen one I like enough.
I really enjoyed reading your post. :)

I think I'd like board pendants in a trans flag too! I'm not sure what style I should get though because I predominantly chew my nails, sometimes pens, and lately I've had a worse coping mechanism - I've just been eating to keep chewing something. I could be eating constantly (although I'm still pretty thin, this is not healthy). I don't really want food though, just something to chew on... Anyway, I have to stop chewing my nails all the time too.... there's nothing left of them lol.

Sorry to hear about your panic attacks...How do you handle them when you're not with family or friends? What about at work/school? I don't know the difference between anxiety and panic, but I suffer from anxiety attacks and I don't even know what to do when it happens. I'm lucky they've been less severe since I've been off work, although more frequent at night. I recently bought a weighted blanket to try out and it's been really good for me, but it's hot. Will chews help anxiety too? Or just protect my nails from my anxious habbit?

Last edited:
Plushie said:
Are those beads and the star all chewable? If so, then yes that's right in line. Doesn't hurt that it's almost the trans pride colours (pink, blue and white) so that would have more meaning to me.
I honestly don't know yet, it hasn't gotten here as of this moment, but I'll let you know when it gets here. I think they are.

Reactions: Plushie
Plushie said:
I really enjoyed reading your post. :)

I think I'd like board pendants in a trans flag too! I'm not sure what style I should get though because I predominantly chew my nails, sometimes pens, and lately I've had a worse coping mechanism - I've just been eating to keep chewing something. I could be eating constantly (although I'm still pretty thin, this is not healthy). I don't really want food though, just something to chew on... Anyway, I have to stop chewing my nails all the time too.... there's nothing left of them lol.

Sorry to hear about your panic attacks...How do you handle them when you're not with family or friends? What about at work/school? I don't know the difference between anxiety and panic, but I suffer from anxiety attacks and I don't even know what to do when it happens. I'm lucky they've been less severe since I've been off work, although more frequent at night. I recently bought a weighted blanket to try out and it's been really good for me, but it's hot. Will chews help anxiety too? Or just protect my nails from my anxious habit?

I have had to have plasters on my fingers often in the past when I’ve bit my nails down too far. It’s a habit that I’ve gotten better at controlling since chewing on chewable accessories and using pacifiers but it’s not a perfect solution for it- I don’t think I’ll have long, strong nails but at least they’re not constantly bleeding and painful anymore.

For me, the difference between a panic attack and anxiety attack is that panic attacks come on suddenly when my brain thinks I’m in danger. Anxiety attacks happen when the little things build up and I become overwhelmed. When I’m out on my own and start having an anxiety attack or panic attack, I usually try to get somewhere quiet then focus on my surroundings to stop my mind from spiralling- the 5-4-3-2-1 method is a pretty good way to do that- and I reassure myself I’m not in danger. After I calm down, I need food and drink and somewhere dark and quiet to rest for a while. I have been lucky with where I’ve worked, they’ve always been really good with all my mental health problems and ASD- my school was the opposite, they were terrible.

Chews help me with my anxiety the same as other stimming toys do. Whenever my anxiety gets too bad, the best, healthiest way to ease it is counselling and medication. Most of time I can get by on my own with stim toys, distractions and challenging anxious thoughts but sometimes I just need a little more outside help. Being around other people also helps a lot but between my social ineptitude and the pandemic, that hasn't been much of an option recently.

You could try using chews to see if they help you with managing your anxiety or easing your chewing habits - it’s worth a try.

I will always say, if you are ever concerned about your anxiety getting out of control, the best thing you can do is see a professional about it- though that isn't always easy. I hope you do find something that works for you- anxiety is exhausting.

Last edited:
Plushie said:
Are those beads and the star all chewable? If so, then yes that's right in line. Doesn't hurt that it's almost the trans pride colours (pink, blue and white) so that would have more meaning to me.
I can finally answer your question. Delivery took forever this time. I think they were on vacation for the holidays. Yes the beads and start are all made of the same material so definitely chewable.

Reactions: Plushie
DragonPrinceling said:
I have had to have plasters on my fingers often in the past when I’ve bit my nails down too far. It’s a habit that I’ve gotten better at controlling since chewing on chewable accessories and using pacifiers but it’s not a perfect solution for it- I don’t think I’ll have long, strong nails but at least they’re not constantly bleeding and painful anymore.

For me, the difference between a panic attack and anxiety attack is that panic attacks come on suddenly when my brain thinks I’m in danger. Anxiety attacks happen when the little things build up and I become overwhelmed. When I’m out on my own and start having an anxiety attack or panic attack, I usually try to get somewhere quiet then focus on my surroundings to stop my mind from spiralling- the 5-4-3-2-1 method is a pretty good way to do that- and I reassure myself I’m not in danger. After I calm down, I need food and drink and somewhere dark and quiet to rest for a while. I have been lucky with where I’ve worked, they’ve always been really good with all my mental health problems and ASD- my school was the opposite, they were terrible.

Chews help me with my anxiety the same as other stimming toys do. Whenever my anxiety gets too bad, the best, healthiest way to ease it is counselling and medication. Most of time I can get by on my own with stim toys, distractions and challenging anxious thoughts but sometimes I just need a little more outside help. Being around other people also helps a lot but between my social ineptitude and the pandemic, that hasn't been much of an option recently.

You could try using chews to see if they help you with managing your anxiety or easing your chewing habits - it’s worth a try.

I will always say, if you are ever concerned about your anxiety getting out of control, the best thing you can do is see a professional about it- though that isn't always easy. I hope you do find something that works for you- anxiety is exhausting.
Definitely better your nails aren't bleeding now! I'm actually surprised about your work being so accepting of your mental health problems - may I ask what you do? I would have assumed the school would have been more accommodating, but just goes to show how much I know.

I totally feel you on the social difficulties right now. I suck at meeting and interacting with people normally, but the pandemic has only alienated me more. I can usually handle 1-on-1 interaction, but I find my capabilities go to hell when there's multiple people. I don't know when to talk, who to talk to, or what to do. I would be a real social butterfly if I knew how to interact properly.

I'm definitely going to try chews. A couple of days ago I ordered a pendant and some pen toppers. I'm waiting on them to ship. I also ordered an Infinity Cube, but my family got mad at me for spending my money on "toys", when I am on disability with little income. Thing is, if it helps me I kind of need it. I have a lot of anxiety and if these things help with that, maybe I'll be better able to function in the world. Truth is, I was prescribed medication for anxiety, but if I can lower the amount of meds I need to take by simply chewing or playing with cubes, then I think that's a win!

LittleAndrea said:
I can finally answer your question. Delivery took forever this time. I think they were on vacation for the holidays. Yes the beads and start are all made of the same material so definitely chewable.
That's great news! Does it feel really good to chew? :)

Plushie said:
That's great news! Does it feel really good to chew? :)
The back of the penguin has 2 textures, little waves and little fish. My only complaint is that it squeaks a little when you chew on the main penguin. It's super cute though.

Back