Arrrg. Being IC and ...

slimjiminy

Diabetes, type-2
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
First thing this morning I stepped into the shower as I normally do after taking off my soaking wet diaper, to get cleaned up -- and the hot water in our apartment building was not working! Not taking a shower was not really an option. So I shampooed my head and my groin and grimmaced through the cold water until rinsed.

• Wow
Reactions: Edgewater
I can remember when we'd lose power during the winter and taking a shower was torture. Now I have a Generac generator so that never happens.

• Love
Reactions: tiron101 and Edgewater
ahh that's aweful
is there an eta for hot water again?
I'd warm up some water on stove or kettle can at least clean your self with warm water & a wash cloth that way. hope it's fixed soon

• Love
It has been years since I trusted our electric utility and long ago upgraded our Electrical Panel to support a supplemented generator using 240 VAC connection, which support the refrigerators, furnace and blower motor on the water heater, plus the comforts of life.

What happens when the power goes out and you cannot charge your EV?

Well, slimjiminy electric supply is rarely the problem with an apartment house hot water boiler fails! With hope it is something simple like a relay.

Reactions: tiron101
Growing up we had no proper bathroom, just a tin bath by the fire once a week and an outside toilet across the yard. I wet the bed every night so must have smelled pretty rank by bath night.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Thankfully the building maintenance was responsive and had the hot water restored by dinner time. As I understand it, a large water heater was replaced. So hopefully, good for a few years now!

We did have a power fail a few months ago. There is supposed to be a backup generator (for the elevator alone I think) but it failed. But the outage lasted just a couple of hours so we just stayed put.

• Love
Reactions: dogboy and Edgewater
Glad it's solved. Years ago we lost power for 5 days during a winter ice storm. Fortunately I have a wood stove and I cut up all the limbs that came down in the storm and kept our wood stove fed 24/7. We all slept in the family room where the wood stove is and we boiled water on the stove and cooked on the stove. We survived but we were forever grateful when the power finally came on five days later.

• Wow
Reactions: Edgewater, slimjiminy and tiron101
Back